R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

What percentage of rear suspension air bags break?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 R350
What percentage of rear suspension air bags break?

Hi,

I'm trying to think of all the things that could go wrong with our 2008 R350 to determine whether its worth keeping or getting rid of before problems occur. From what I understand, a lot of people have problems with the rear air bag. It could be due to the compressor, level sensor or the bag itself. Ours has springs up front and from what I understand all of them have air springs in the rear.

What I am trying to find out is how often these things break. Is it pretty much guaranteed to fail? Is there any correlation with mileage, time, weather, etc? Ours has almost 60k on it and looks fine right now. The cost it seems to fix this is in the thousands, which is not worth it to me with an old car like this.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2017, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
It will fail. Without doubt.

We have a gl with airmatic on all four corners and every single bag has failed plus the compressor.

This all happened between 60-80k miles or around 6-7 years.

The rubbers become brittle and it is just a known failure point.
It's not if but a question of when.
It's a simple fix from what I hear and you're lucky to have only two. Best brand is to get Arnott and be sure to check the gl x164 forum for detailed write-ups and discounts from Arnott. It's worth the fix and lots of forum owners have done the respair themselves. I would recommend to keep the car, owners do love the r class and the air bags is just a maintenance item. Otherwise a indy can probably do it quickly as well.

Interior wise it's pretty dependable and similar to ours I would imagine, I guess a common point of failure is probably the release handle to the third row and perhaps the homelink buttons and srs connectors under the seat.

Cheers

Last edited by kombifan; 12-17-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:09 PM

2008 R350
Originally Posted by kombifan
It will fail. Without doubt.

We have a gl with airmatic on all four corners and every single bag has failed plus the compressor.

This all happened between 60-80k miles or around 6-7 years.

The rubbers become brittle and it is just a known failure point.
It's not if but a question of when.
It's a simple fix from what I hear and you're lucky to have only two. Best brand is to get Arnott and be sure to check the gl x164 forum for detailed write-ups and discounts from Arnott. It's worth the fix and lots of forum owners have done the respair themselves. I would recommend to keep the car, owners do love the r class and the air bags is just a maintenance item. Otherwise a indy can probably do it quickly as well.

Interior wise it's pretty dependable and similar to ours I would imagine, I guess a common point of failure is probably the release handle to the third row and perhaps the homelink buttons and srs connectors under the seat.

Cheers
Thanks for your quick response! I have been looking into some DIY videos on how to replace the bag. It doesn't look too hard from what I see and the airbags are about 100 bucks each on amazon. Don't need to do it yet, but good to know if it goes bad at some point. The compressor replacement seems straight forward as well.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:17 PM

2008 R350
I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why the audio stopped working on our car. It ended up being a fuse that blew after someone helped inflate my wife's tire after she got a flat by using an air compressor that had to be connected to the jump points under the hood. That drove me nuts for a while and I read everything from how to replace the expensive amp (which a lot of people had problems with) to checking each component in the system by using fiber optic bypass to get around it. In the end, I think it was the tele-aid fuse that blew. Although annoying, thankfully its as a $4 fix! I also fixed the oil leak by replacing the PCV valve and cam caps. Hopefully this all buys me some time before I need to work on the car again.

Oh, one thing that has yet to be fixed is an SRS malfunction that I am getting (SRS light on and it says the malfunction is on the front left). I ordered the icarsoft MB II from ebay today to reset the light and read the code. The auxiliary battery had died which I replaced and it could be just a warning that needs to be reset or something that actually needs to be fixed. I will find out once I read the code.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 135 Posts
2010 Mercedes GL450; 2000 Mercedes ML55 AMG; 2016 VW GLI SEL Stick!!!
Originally Posted by R350NYC
I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why the audio stopped working on our car. It ended up being a fuse that blew after someone helped inflate my wife's tire after she got a flat by using an air compressor that had to be connected to the jump points under the hood. That drove me nuts for a while and I read everything from how to replace the expensive amp (which a lot of people had problems with) to checking each component in the system by using fiber optic bypass to get around it. In the end, I think it was the tele-aid fuse that blew. Although annoying, thankfully its as a $4 fix! I also fixed the oil leak by replacing the PCV valve and cam caps. Hopefully this all buys me some time before I need to work on the car again.

Oh, one thing that has yet to be fixed is an SRS malfunction that I am getting (SRS light on and it says the malfunction is on the front left). I ordered the icarsoft MB II from ebay today to reset the light and read the code. The auxiliary battery had died which I replaced and it could be just a warning that needs to be reset or something that actually needs to be fixed. I will find out once I read the code.
I would try to get the srs light fixed as soon as possible as it disengages some features of the presafe system as well.

easiest way way to check is if your seat belt tightens when you click it on. it will normally pull slightly, if it doesn’t you’ll probably have a break somewhere. if you check my post i’m the x164 forum i detail what went wrong with my srs light.
with me it was the yellow connectors under the seat that ended up being broken.

cheers
Old 12-18-2017, 02:12 PM

2008 R350
Originally Posted by kombifan

I would try to get the srs light fixed as soon as possible as it disengages some features of the presafe system as well.

easiest way way to check is if your seat belt tightens when you click it on. it will normally pull slightly, if it doesn’t you’ll probably have a break somewhere. if you check my post i’m the x164 forum i detail what went wrong with my srs light.
with me it was the yellow connectors under the seat that ended up being broken.

cheers
Thanks a lot, I will check on this.
Old 12-26-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB R320 2009
Originally Posted by R350NYC
Hi,

I'm trying to think of all the things that could go wrong with our 2008 R350 to determine whether its worth keeping or getting rid of before problems occur. From what I understand, a lot of people have problems with the rear air bag. It could be due to the compressor, level sensor or the bag itself. Ours has springs up front and from what I understand all of them have air springs in the rear.

What I am trying to find out is how often these things break. Is it pretty much guaranteed to fail? Is there any correlation with mileage, time, weather, etc? Ours has almost 60k on it and looks fine right now. The cost it seems to fix this is in the thousands, which is not worth it to me with an old car like this.

Thanks
I know from my experience that airbags can last million miles on trucks. However, on my R320 they deteriorated and have to be replaced last year.
Luckily, rear air bags are very easy to replace. I did it myself with basic tools in 20 min each. And you can buy airbags with lifetime warranty from Arnott at a fraction of MB price.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:27 PM

2008 R350
Originally Posted by MZen
I know from my experience that airbags can last million miles on trucks. However, on my R320 they deteriorated and have to be replaced last year.
Luckily, rear air bags are very easy to replace. I did it myself with basic tools in 20 min each. And you can buy airbags with lifetime warranty from Arnott at a fraction of MB price.
Yup, this is what I've come up with in my research as well. I will do it myself when the time comes which might be sooner than I think. I read my car using iCarSoft's MB II and had a stored code DTC 5506 "Recovery times during bleeding of air suspension strut is too long"