R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Heavy Oil Consuption R350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
R350 2008 4Matic Gasoline
Heavy Oil Consuption R350

Had a lil more than Half of the Oil Capacity used up after a 350+ Mile trip...a ""Week after the trip..i Got the "Check you Oil level at the next Gas station Light"" ..is this normal ? ..that is pretty high amount i would say..plus it was fresh new oil ..i had just changed it,..it maybe normal on some cars,..but i view that as a fault to me....

Last edited by BenzBallin; 05-09-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
Its normal for you to be burning a small amount of oil, especially if you have over 100k . Maybe you should be using something like a half quart to one quart every thousand miles. If you were still under factory warranty I would say not so much. Sounds like you are way over that.

Two suggestions, first pull your lower engine pan off and look for oil stains on it, if none reinstall. Also take off the top plastic engine cover and gunk down your engine. Drive another 300-500 miles and repeat the inspection, looking for obvious leaks. Cam plugs and valve cover gaskets will be common culprits, oil pan gasket and front / rear main seals not so much.

Second, pull ALL your plugs. Make sure one or more are not oil fouled. If you find they are, it's time to find another ride.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
"half the oil capacity" what? your are burning more than 4 litters of oil in 350 miles? There are cars that get better gas mileage than that!
Unless you meant half a liter or half a quart... Even that is massively excessive. half a liter in 350 miles comes out to 15 liters of oil between 10K mile oil changes.
As lionstreet suggested are you loosing it or burning it. Id hate to see your garage floor or your spark plugs. You must be leaving a trail of smoke. Get this thing checked!
Old 05-12-2018, 10:05 AM

Sorry...let me Clarify" ...on april 14 i changed the Oil put fresh in...and on May 10 after exactly 1,791 Miles i had to put in about 1 Liter maybe a lil more....the dipstick was about half way is what i meant..
Old 05-12-2018, 02:16 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
"dipstick was about half way" what do you mean by that? Halfway between the min and max marks? That is fine. Do you know how full it was when you filled with oil?
Was it to the Max mark? Was your car level when you filled? When you checked?
what year/model is your R? gas or diesel? What is the oil capacity? how much did you fill in?
Old 05-12-2018, 02:57 PM

Ok ..the dipstick level was in between the halfway measure mark on the disptick oil level between min. And Max. ..When i changed the oil myself it was to the max part when i measured it..in a level surface in my garage....after driving exactly
1,791 Miles i got the check your oil level light ..so i checked it...noticed it low..i topped off with about 1 quart give or take..and wrote down the mileage to observe consuption again the next go arround...Is this normal after Driving it for 1,791 Miles ..? Mine is a 2008 R350 4Matic

Originally Posted by efzauner
"dipstick was about half way" what do you mean by that? Halfway between the min and max marks? That is fine. Do you know how full it was when you filled with oil?
Was it to the Max mark? Was your car level when you filled? When you checked?
what year/model is your R? gas or diesel? What is the oil capacity? how much did you fill in?
Old 05-12-2018, 03:12 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
so yes that is excessive... 5-6 quarts between oil changes is a lot.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:33 PM

06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
Not so sure about that.

Sounds like (if you don't have any leakage) your burning somewhere around a half quart per 1k.

If you are changing oil every 6k-7k and using a half quart to a full quart per 1k (which is average if engine mileage is over 100k) that's 3-7 quarts of additional oil burned between changes, no?

Motor is an '08, prolly has 100k miles on it, yes?
Old 05-12-2018, 06:08 PM

Hi @Efzauner...not 5-6 quarts just a lil more than 1 quart only..total like 1 quart and a half..

Old 05-12-2018, 06:09 PM

Yea @Lioninstreet ..so about 1 quart and a half ..after 1,700 miles driven in a month...on a 2008 110k mile Rclass

Originally Posted by Lioninstreet
Not so sure about that.

Sounds like (if you don't have any leakage) your burning somewhere around a half quart per 1k.

If you are changing oil every 6k-7k and using a half quart to a full quart per 1k (which is average if engine mileage is over 100k) that's 3-7 quarts of additional oil burned between changes, no?

Old 05-12-2018, 10:59 PM

2005 C240 2011 R350
Not so sure about that.

Why change at 7-8K miles if you are adding 7 quarts between changes why bother? you are always running on fresh oil!
I would hate to see the heads on this thing.

It may not warrant a tear down repair but I sill think it is not normal. Your mileage may vary.
if everything else is fine than sure keep on adding oil instead of an engine repair. That is what I would do.

My 2005 C240 has 240K Km and I never add oil between 16K km changes.
Hondas neither. our 2002 Oddy had 280K km before we got rid of it in 2014 and it also never needed top up between changes.

attached is a blurb by Consumers reports on this
Old 05-13-2018, 02:00 AM

06 SLK55 AMG, 12 R350
I've read that your ready for an overhauled engine if your loosing a quart in 500mi or less. That is excessive for sure.

It sounds like you're loosing a quart and a half in 1700 mi at 110k (no leaks, right?). That's more or less what my '12 is using with 108k. I just topped it off so I'll watch it closer and check it again at 109k.

Problem with buying any used vehicle is most people are sold on the idea they can go 10k between oil changes. After all, that's what it says on the bottle, not to mention the manual says it's OK. To me, that's hogwash. Nothing beats consistently fresh fluids on a higher mileage vehicle, especially if your planning to stay out of the shop and keep it for a while.

So you're really buying into a stranger's less than desirable regular maintenance schedule and probably not having multiple oil changes done during the first 10k - 15k to help with a proper break in / wear in. That is unless you luck out and the car fax shows different. But that's the trade-off for letting the other guys eat the rapid depreciation.

Even with my R using a little oil now, I still try to use the best oil I can find for it, and keep it fresh by changing every 5k - 7k. It gets driven pretty lazy around town and 65mph - 75mph on highway trips. Its rare that we have 5 passengers with us (it's a 6 seater with the rear console and the puny front brake rotors) and there's not trailer hitch so I don't tow with it. If I did, I'd shorten the change out routine.

Luckily my car fax showed the 60k service fluid service (read all fluids) was done and I just did them all again at 105k. But, If I still own it at 150k, I'll do them all again. That is with the exception of the 4-matic differentials. They have no filter, no pump, no cooling, and only hold a liter each. Not to mention it's ATF in there, not oil. That stuff has to get pretty stressed, as evidenced by folks with 4-matics posting their stories of woe. So I'll change that out every 20k - 25k since it's so easy to do.

On the other hand, I got my SLK55 back in the middle of 2014 at 37k. That one gets fresh new synthetic dyno juice every 3k - 4k, and the tranny, diff, PS and brake fluids all got drained at 40k. There's 61k on it now and if I own it at 70k - 75k I'll do it all again. But I've had it Kleemannized, tuned, and I push it pretty hard. It has the electronic oil level readout (no dipstick, which I hate by the way) and uses about 1/4 - 1/3 quart every 1k.

My '08 Prius is a beater long haul go-getter with 200k. 'Nuff said. Last is my '96 Toyota Previa van. I got that back in '05 with 127k. It's also at about 200k now. I don't use it much any more. But for what it is, it's supercharged 4cyl tows pretty well. They both get new fluids often and still only use about 3/4 to a quart of oil per 1k.

Is it more expensive to maintain something used like this? Yes, But now you know why I took the time to cross reference all the Merc fluids thru BeVo and avoid the stealership fluids. Time has proven to me that keeping fluids fresh is a major factor in keeping any higher mileage engine, transmission, and differential from major mechanical disasters. And since I can't tackle spending $45,000. each for 36 months of lease (depreciation) payments on a new C 63 S Cabriolet or a GL550 at the moment, I have to make sure my junk stays running. It is what it is.

Now if I could just figure out how to make the squeaks and creaks go away.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:58 AM

Lol yeah i hear ya @Lioninstreet ...i beleive in that too....i might do the rear differential next....how easy is it my friend ? Ima look into it....

I've read that your ready for an overhauled engine if your loosing a quart in 500mi or less. That is excessive for sure.

It sounds like you're loosing a quart and a half in 1700 mi at 110k (no leaks, right?). That's more or less what my '12 is using with 108k. I just topped it off so I'll watch it closer and check it again at 109k.

Problem with buying any used vehicle is most people are sold on the idea they can go 10k between oil changes. After all, that's what it says on the bottle, not to mention the manual says it's OK. To me, that's hogwash. Nothing beats consistently fresh fluids on a higher mileage vehicle, especially if your planning to stay out of the shop and keep it for a while.

So you're really buying into a stranger's less than desirable regular maintenance schedule and probably not having multiple oil changes done during the first 10k - 15k to help with a proper break in / wear in. That is unless you luck out and the car fax shows different. But that's the trade-off for letting the other guys eat the rapid depreciation.

Even with my R using a little oil now, I still try to use the best oil I can find for it, and keep it fresh by changing every 5k - 7k. It gets driven pretty lazy around town and 65mph - 75mph on highway trips. Its rare that we have 5 passengers with us (it's a 6 seater with the rear console and the puny front brake rotors) and there's not trailer hitch so I don't tow with it. If I did, I'd shorten the change out routine.

Luckily my car fax showed the 60k service fluid service (read all fluids) was done and I just did them all again at 105k. But, If I still own it at 150k, I'll do them all again. That is with the exception of the 4-matic differentials. They have no filter, no pump, no cooling, and only hold a liter each. Not to mention it's ATF in there, not oil. That stuff has to get pretty stressed, as evidenced by folks with 4-matics posting their stories of woe. So I'll change that out every 20k - 25k since it's so easy to do.

On the other hand, I got my SLK55 back in the middle of 2014 at 37k. That one gets fresh new synthetic dyno juice every 3k - 4k, and the tranny, diff, PS and brake fluids all got drained at 40k. There's 61k on it now and if I own it at 70k - 75k I'll do it all again. But I've had it Kleemannized, tuned, and I push it pretty hard. It has the electronic oil level readout (no dipstick, which I hate by the way) and uses about 1/4 - 1/3 quart every 1k.

My '08 Prius is a beater long haul go-getter with 200k. 'Nuff said. Last is my '96 Toyota Previa van. I got that back in '05 with 127k. It's also at about 200k now. I don't use it much any more. But for what it is, it's supercharged 4cyl tows pretty well. They both get new fluids often and still only use about 3/4 to a quart of oil per 1k.

Is it more expensive to maintain something used like this? Yes, But now you know why I took the time to cross reference all the Merc fluids thru BeVo and avoid the stealership fluids. Time has proven to me that keeping fluids fresh is a major factor in keeping any higher mileage engine, transmission, and differential from major mechanical disasters. And since I can't tackle spending $45,000. each for 36 months of lease (depreciation) payments on a new C 63 S Cabriolet or a GL550 at the moment, I have to make sure my junk stays running. It is what it is.

Now if I could just figure out how to make the squeaks and creaks go away.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:59 AM

Thanx for the report @efzauner

Why change at 7-8K miles if you are adding 7 quarts between changes why bother? you are always running on fresh oil!
I would hate to see the heads on this thing.

It may not warrant a tear down repair but I sill think it is not normal. Your mileage may vary.
if everything else is fine than sure keep on adding oil instead of an engine repair. That is what I would do.

My 2005 C240 has 240K Km and I never add oil between 16K km changes.
Hondas neither. our 2002 Oddy had 280K km before we got rid of it in 2014 and it also never needed top up between changes.

attached is a blurb by Consumers reports on this