Need some assistance with 2 issues... headlights and analog clock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500
Need some assistance with 2 issues... headlights and analog clock

Greetings!!

I am hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction with regards to 2 issues I am currently having:

1- I have the bi-xenon headlights, and I am getting the error that the Active Headlights are inoperative. Low beams are pointing way too low. I had my mechanic run a scan on them, and the left one communicates correctly, but it can't communicate with the right one. Do I need to replace the entire assembly, or can I get away with just buying components, and which one/s do I need?

2- the analog clock on the dash is running about 8 minutes fast... is there any way to adjust the time back to the correct time? I only see an option to change the time zone.

Thanks so much!
Old 01-12-2021, 03:52 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
2006 R500
Headlights: depends on whether the control module failed or motor failed.

The control module is attached to the bottom of the headlight. There are two modules, with the second being the HID ballast. You can try swapping the left and the right modules (they're not specific to a side) and rule that out. Also make sure all of your wiring is intact.

If the motor failed, you are replacing the entire unit unless you're comfortable taking apart the headlight. If you are, you may also want to consider replacing the projectors (I have a thread on that).

The clock gets its time from the COMAND unit. If you have access to STAR diagnostic system, you can change it to be set manually through the gauge cluster menu.
Old 01-12-2021, 12:33 PM

R500
Tsumi,

Thanks for the reply!

I was wondering about the modules and if just swapping them out might fix the problem. I would suspect that if I swap the modules, and now they can communicate with the right side, that would mean that the module is bad, otherwise, it is leading to faulty wiring, correct? What I have been confused by is that I see a lot of assemblies out there for sale that say they don't have the ballasts. Does that mean that they are just the shell without the motor either?

As for the clock, if I look at the time on the COMAND unit, it is correct, it is only the analog clock that is off. I will have to ask my mechanic if the tool they are using is the STAR diagnostic system, or something different. I know that my regular MB mechanic is using the MB diags running from a PC, and what this mechanic was using was not the same system... like maybe it was something that worked for several brands of imports, and not just MB.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:32 PM

2006 R500
Yes, you would be correct. Swap the two and figure out whether it's the wiring, motors, or the control unit. The control unit has the part number stamped on it and is used across multiple Mercedes models.

There are two types of headlight assemblies for our cars: halogen without active headlights, and HID with active headlights. If the assemblies do not have four plugs on the bottom, it is a halogen without active headlight assembly, which I believe have a single plug with the other three blanked out. The active headlight motors are internal to the headlight, and cannot be taken out without major disassembly.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:36 PM

R500
Originally Posted by Tsumi
Yes, you would be correct. Swap the two and figure out whether it's the wiring, motors, or the control unit. The control unit has the part number stamped on it and is used across multiple Mercedes models.

There are two types of headlight assemblies for our cars: halogen without active headlights, and HID with active headlights. If the assemblies do not have four plugs on the bottom, it is a halogen without active headlight assembly, which I believe have a single plug with the other three blanked out. The active headlight motors are internal to the headlight, and cannot be taken out without major disassembly.
I'm pretty sure I have the HID with active lights. Do I haVe to take out the headlight assembly to swap the modules?
Old 01-12-2021, 08:42 PM

2006 R500
Yes, unless you have a lift and can remove the bottom access panel. Even then, I think it's fairly hard to reach the bottom of the headlights.

My recommendation for removing the headlights:

Remove the two top bolts holding the headlight in. Pull back the wheel well liner and remove the third bolt holding the headlight in. Remove the bumper bolt that's right next to the headlight. Remove all of the top fender bolts. You need the additional wiggle room that removing the bumper and fender bolts give you in order to pull up the headlight.