R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Replacing corroded brake line R500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R500 L
Replacing corroded brake line R500

I need to replace the brake lines on my 2006 R500 L.
Rear right is urgent; started leaking and broke off near the connection to the brake hose when i removed the brake hose. All of the visible brake line in the wheelwell is corroded enough that it would not be possible to create a good seal with a normal line splicer, I polished the line in a few places and it becomes very thin when you get it round and shiny.
Does anybody have a diagram of the r-class brake system?

I signed up to Mitchell1, but there was nothing on the brake lines as far as I can see, not even a system diagram.
The brake line seems to disappear above the fuel tank, I have no idea what route it takes to the ABS pump, which is located behind the drivers side headlamp and is clearly marked; "RL" for the rear left line, "RR" for Rear Right, "FL" for Front left, "FR" for Front Right.

I guess i need to do my own routing, I'm not going to take half the car apart to follow the OEM routing.

I'm grateful for any advice from anybody that's done thhis before. I know I have to stay in "cool" locations all the way, but maybe there's a recommended routing that I'm not aware of?

Last edited by tobcar; 05-10-2022 at 02:55 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:50 AM

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes R320L CDI 4MATIC 2007
i had to replace brake line on my r class, but on LH side.
I had to partially drop fuel tank. Did not have to disconnect anything, just undone bolts and dropped it around 10-15cm. After doing that it was not too hard to get access to brake line. I have undone the brake line where it connects to rubber hose near the wheel and on the front side, i have removed long LH side plastic undertray, brake pipe got revealed. I just cut in at some point over there, where i will have enough space to attach a coupling to reconnect. After doing all of that i was able to remove the corroded pipe. To create a copy I used a raw copper pipe, used for shaping brake lines and copied all bends from the original, on the floor. Attached couplings. You will need special tools for that. But its much cheaper than purchasing ready made pipe.

If you provide me your VIN, i can have a look if i can find schematics for you.