R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

2008 R320 won't start, pulled codes. Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R320
2008 R320 won't start, pulled codes. Help?

Hello, I could really use some help. I'm fairly competent working on cars, but this is my first diesel.

I have a 2008 r320 that won't start (I know this is a no-no on diesel, but I did a tiny squirt of starter fluid in the intake to test it and it DOES fire up fine ).

The computer is throwing codes for p0261 p0264 p0267 p0270 p0273 p0276. Basically "injector circuit low, all cylinders "

Also I can't hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key on, but the fuel pump relay "clicks" when you turn the key on, so power is at least getting there, but possibly a faulty fuel pump?

Any ideas? Why would all cylinders have low voltage to the injectors?
Old 07-26-2022, 01:12 PM

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
R320, Astro, JSW, ST4
These cars are pretty finicky about, well, you name it...

Unless you're certain about the state of the battery I would start with / get a good automatic charger (CTEK makes great ones), and ensure the battery is fully charged.
(The dash can show you the voltage seen by the car, by key on 1st position, hit the reset button 3 times with the menu on I think mileage. You may need to search for this, but there are vidoes etc) Voltage should show 12.6-12.8 at key on, 13.0-13.1 with motor running.

You will want to get a scanner which shows you MB-specific information. Your car has give or take 35 computers on it.
The alternator not only has a voltage regulator, but listens to the ECU for commands to charge/not charge.
The motor in this car was designed to go into many very different vehicles, but this one is one of if not The Most hated installations in terms of accessibility/serviceability.

From what you've written about the error codes/messages, I'd hazard to guess the tank lift pump / low pressure pump isn't priming.
Having said that, I don't quite believe it because:
- They fail infrequently
- I've replaced one without needing to myself, so I would encourage you to verify the pump Can turn on if you suspect it's not working. It's under the enter right seat. And if it can't but isn't you'd need to run that down.
Again, a good scanner (for MB, which has component testing) can save you from a Lot of wasted effort. I've read good things here about MB-II (Autel?) and others. I cheaped out and got a Foxwell 520Pro I think it is.

Another basic, is making sure there's fuel in it (that is, that the fuel gauge is working). It will throw low pressure codes and light the dash when you run it out. Ask me how I know...

Good luck, I'm out of time