R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Powered seat not moving forward with switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2022, 09:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320, 2002 E320
Powered seat not moving forward with switch

Picked up my car today and attempted to put my seat where it should be. I couldn't seem to use the control to push the seat forward - it only allowed me to move it backwards. Thankfully one of the three memory settings was close enough, and that moves the seat forward reliably. So the motor works, it's just the switch to move the seat forward/back only registers backwards on the driver's side (everything works on passenger side). When I push forward with the switch, there's a bad clicking sound, not the usual light click when I push it back, like something is bent or broken and giving way inside.

Has anyone experienced this? How much of the seat do I need to replace to fix this, and how do I get that panel out of there to fiddle with it?
Old 11-03-2022, 09:33 AM

2008 R320, 2002 E320
Okay, perhaps a better question - does anyone have the instructions on how to remove the driver's side seat control switch panel? I see the part, I believe it is this: 16487043109051 (though I don't know what "Code 275" means in the fitment details on the FCPeuro page). I'm guessing I have to take the seat out, flip the thing upside down, undo a few screws and the power connector, and pop in the new one, but I have never taken the seats out in this car, so I have no idea what to expect. Hopefully I don't need to unhook the battery for this, then I'd have to take both seats out.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:37 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
2006 R500
Did you move the seat all the way back yet? If not, you may need to do that first in order for it to "relearn" where the limits are.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:27 PM

2008 R320, 2002 E320
I should have mentioned that, sorry - saw that might be a fix, tried it, no luck. I think the switch itself is broken, it definitely sounds different and moves back further than it moves forward from neutral position. 99% sure the switch itself needs to be replaced.

For what it’s worth, the battery did die before this happened, so it makes sense that a relearn procedure would be in order, but I think the switch is also broken, or perhaps was broken in the process of relearning at the shop. I don’t know that I could prove it’s their fault, the switch could have just failed after 15 years. But it’s certainly odd.

So how do I get that thing out of there?