R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

R320 battery drain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R320 CDI
R320 battery drain

Battery was dead. Jumpstarted and started fine. I noticed the battery charger never shut off, tapering off to about 1 amp.

So I assumed there was a parasitic draw, and that the battery charger was powering the drain. I pulled all the fuses in the engine compartment with no change in charge current. Same for the ones in the dash on the passenger side.

Then I moved to the rear. Rather than struggling to pull all the fuses, I started measuring the voltage drop across the fuses to find ones that had current going through them. Fuses have resistance and there are some charts on the fuse rating vs mV voltage drop vs mA. I found two that had >2 mV, which equates to hundreds of mA of current, so pulled them. No change in the battery charger current.

Decided to put a meter in series with the battery rather than relying on the battery charger readout. Turns out the battery is OEM from 2012, so 10 years old. Tests fine surprisingly. After hooking up my meter I measure a 1 amp draw. Hood/door/hatch open and waited 20+ minutes.

Removed all fuses at the battery. No change. Disconnected rear SAM. No change. Took out all front relays and rear relays as a quick test. No change. The two trunk fuses with measurable current were also disconnected.

Before I go an pull dozens of fuses again, is there something I'm missing?
Potentially relevant symptoms:
  • I think last week I noticed the interior fan was on after opening the door; I brushed it off and didn't see it again so not sure if it's an ongoing problem.
  • Rear hatch often doesn't latch/lock when closed; I did a bit more testing after the no start issue and had issues with it closing when using any of the buttons; I didn't troubleshoot further as there is currently a consistent draw, and I was afraid of turning it into an intermittent problem that would be harder to diagnose.
  • I've seen some codes related to an upper control panel but it wasn't affecting daily use so I didn't investigate/save the code.

Old 11-24-2022, 03:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
first check if one of the buttons on sunroof , garage controls and memory seats is not push in and stock
Old 11-25-2022, 09:24 AM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Mercedes R320L CDI 4MATIC 2007
Aux battery? If thats gone, it drains the main one.
Old 11-25-2022, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R320 CDI
Originally Posted by virgisr
Aux battery? If thats gone, it drains the main one.
Haven't seen any warning light or codes related to this. Can they go bad without the car complaining?
Old 11-25-2022, 02:11 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Mercedes R320L CDI 4MATIC 2007
i had mine not charging and there were no faults on dash or on scanner. So answer would be yes they can. Worth checking.