R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Swapping "Active" headlights for "regular."

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2022, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R500, GLA250, 560SL
Swapping "Active" headlights for "regular."

Slowly but surely I'm refurbishing a 2006 R500 to use as the family hauler. It's got great bones, but it has a few issues that are driving me nuts.

The current frustration is that the Active Headlights have thrown an error from the moment I purchased it (used). Worse than that, somebody was in the headlamp assembly before me; I can tell from the broken brackets and liberal use of silicone caulk to seal it back up.

(Also, as a side note, the insulation on the wiring internal to the headlamp assembly is totally disintegrating. I've done some "re-insulating" work but the headlamp is still no-functional.)

So I give up on fixing these problems and I'm wondering if it is possible to simply remove out the active headlamp assemblies and replace them with (much cheaper!) normal "fixed" headlamp assemblies. Granted, I'll still get the "Active Headlight" warning every time I start the car, but at least I'll have working, aimed headlights for once!
Old 12-08-2022, 09:53 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
2006 R500
Yes, and if you know someone with STAR or Xentry, you can disable the active headlight functionality. Actually, you can keep the current headlights if they're still serviceable and just disable active headlights.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:41 AM

R500, GLA250, 560SL
Originally Posted by Tsumi
Yes, and if you know someone with STAR or Xentry, you can disable the active headlight functionality. Actually, you can keep the current headlights if they're still serviceable and just disable active headlights.
Thanks, that's useful to know. I wasn't aware that the computer for the Active Headlights could be disabled with STAR. That'll be one more thing I add to the refurbishment list.

I'm afraid these headlights are beyond saving. Some previous owner had tried, unsuccessfully, to correct some frosting of the lenses and sprayed clear coat over them. So they look horrible and the optics are bad. And, as I mentioned, the internal wiring in the left-side unit is completely losing its insulation. In fact, I suspect that possibly this is the reason for the "Active Headlight Failure" message; it's possible that the insulation flaked off, the wires shorted, and blew the control module.
Old 12-09-2022, 10:18 AM

2006 R500
I think I have a spare left module from when I bought a headlight after my sister got into an accident with our R500.

Also, keep in mind that the non-active headlights are halogen headlights, not bi-xenon HIDs. You can retrofit the non-active headlights to proper bi-xenon headlights; I have a guide on this forum.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:10 AM

R500, GLA250, 560SL
I can't find the guide to which you refer. Can you give me a link or hint on what search term(s) to use to locate it?
Old 12-10-2022, 09:31 AM

2006 R500
https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...-retrofit.html

The regular halogen projectors will have solid mounts instead of the moving mounts, but should still use the Hella E55 projector bolt pattern. You'll also need to tap the high beams for the bi-xenon function but that should be straightforward.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:22 AM

R500, GLA250, 560SL
Originally Posted by Tsumi
https://mbworld.org/forums/r-class-w...-retrofit.html

The regular halogen projectors will have solid mounts instead of the moving mounts, but should still use the Hella E55 projector bolt pattern. You'll also need to tap the high beams for the bi-xenon function but that should be straightforward.
This is awesome information. THANK YOU!

I've ordered a couple of Halogen "fixed" headlamps from eBay and I intend to swap in some high-lumen LEDs (which I've had good luck with in other cars). If that doesn't work your retrofit guide will be my next step. I appreciate your patience in explaining this to me.