R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Drive R320 to sub-zero temps for holidays?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 04:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320, 2002 E320
Drive R320 to sub-zero temps for holidays?

Hey all, I am likely backing out of a trip to the Chicago region this week, where I would have to park my R320 diesel outside for 7 days, the last 4 of which will have daytime highs of around 9 F, and nighttime lows around -2 F. Has anyone had much experience trying to get their MB diesel, ideally the R320, to avoid fuel gelling while parked outside and barely run for multiple days? I think this is not the right time for the trip, but if the MB has some kind of cleverly placed heaters to avoid this kind of thing, I'd be curious to know about them. New OEM battery 2 months ago, no idea on age of glow plugs, fresh 0W-40 oil and filter yesterday, 170K miles on vehicle.
Old 12-20-2022, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
-06 R320 CDI 4m, -01 Viper GTS
Started my 243.000 km 2007 R320 CDI in -19C this december after a couple of days of not running the engine, without any type of engine heater on. That would be around -2F I suppose. It was a bit cold for it, I am guessing I have one injector that leaks out some of the high pressure diesel when it is that cold, at cranking. At -10C the problem is almost gone. All my glow plugs are in good working order, and no fault codes present. Norwegian diesel is a winter blend this time of year, so that would not gel up until around -30C. Not sure what you have over there. If you have an electric engine heater, that would help alot. Or if you have the MB webasto in your car, that would also help alot. The fuel filter is located inside the V of the engine, so it is in a warm place usually. Starting the engine daily would heat up the diesel in the tank, and it would work as a heatsink in alot of hours afterwards, same with the fuel filter, it will take a long time to get to -2F. My E320 CDI V6 I had before for 9 years never had any problem starting in the cold, the coldest I started probably was -35C (about -30F). But it would be a problem starting with summer diesel! 0W motor oil can be started in way colder than -2F. But in -2F I would make sure your engine coolant has a freezing point below that. A 50/50 MB 325.0 would typically have a freeze point of -35F. On a long cruise like yours your battery will be charged all the way up.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:09 PM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
I owned an R320 for a few years here in Montreal at very cold temps. Always stored outside, Never a problem. You may have a block heater standard but no plug/cable connected to it.
Winter Diesel may be sold up in Chicago, there are no regulations on it. But the weather wont be so bad, you may have a few -10C days ( 6 to 10 deg over the weekend)
this is not that cold to be honest. Up here it gets down to -22F and I never had a problem.
Old 01-14-2023, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R320
Originally Posted by efzauner
I owned an R320 for a few years here in Montreal at very cold temps. Always stored outside, Never a problem. You may have a block heater standard but no plug/cable connected to it.
Winter Diesel may be sold up in Chicago, there are no regulations on it. But the weather wont be so bad, you may have a few -10C days ( 6 to 10 deg over the weekend)
this is not that cold to be honest. Up here it gets down to -22F and I never had a problem.
We have a cabin in Norway where the R lives 3 months a year, it gets much colder than that. I think in those places they must add something to the fuel against the cold so fill up while youre there. I sometimes preglow twice to make it start faster, but no problems yet. I do have fresh battery and new glow plugs, ironically the glowplugs is an easier job than the battery so anyone needeing one i advice going to a place that replaces batteries for a fixed rate. Just dont tell them they have to take half the interior apart.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:19 AM

Received 51 Likes on 50 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by ieism
We have a cabin in Norway where the R lives 3 months a year, it gets much colder than that. I think in those places they must add something to the fuel against the cold so fill up while youre there. I sometimes preglow twice to make it start faster, but no problems yet. I do have fresh battery and new glow plugs, ironically the glowplugs is an easier job than the battery so anyone needeing one i advice going to a place that replaces batteries for a fixed rate. Just dont tell them they have to take half the interior apart.
the battery is not that difficult. Just remove the 4 bolts that hold down the seat, and tilt it forwards.... then remove the carpet... I would rather do it myself than trust a garage that has never done this..
Old 01-16-2023, 06:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R320, 2002 E320
This was an awesome answer, and just about the best response I could have hoped for. We ended up not risking it, but I'll look into the type of #2 diesel we use here in the States in the winter, and maybe consider an additive to aid in preventing gelling, if we find ourselves away from a garage. Thanks again!