R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

08 R350: Replace Head Unit or Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 10:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too many to list. All MBs
Question 08 R350: Replace Head Unit or Upgrade?

An 08 R350 that I bought as a repair project - it needs quite a lot of work, but runs and drives well - has a head unit with many lines in the bottom of the screen. Normally, I would just buy a used head unit without lines on eBay and replace it. But I see the option to replace with an Android head unit, and I do see a few Rs and MLs for sale on FB Marketplace with the upgraded head unit.

My concern is that I would lose MB functionality, like menus working properly. Also, I am familiar with the MB setup and wonder how quickly I would learn the new Android set up? Lastly, are there any features I would really use provided by the Android unit? I am never going to watch a movie on that screen. Perhaps if it could mirror my phone as I navigate with Waze that would be good. But, I am an exclusive iPhone user, not Google phones for me. So I am not sure that would work.

Any advice/information about this upgrade gratefully received.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:23 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
2006 R500
You will lose detailed radio and call information on your gauge cluster panel (not sure specifically what). You will also lose use of the OEM mic (tried tapping into it at the plug and couldn't make it work. Will probably need to try tapping at the mirror). If you have navigation, you lose automatic synchronization of time on the gauge cluster panel. I would recommend going with an Android unit since the loss is minimal. If you pick correctly, you can get one that is compatible with Apple Carplay.

I have an OEM system with navigation that I can sell to you for cheap if you want it.

The following users liked this post:
MTBenz420 (03-07-2023)
Old 03-07-2023, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too many to list. All MBs
Thank you for your post. I'll PM you about your head unit. Maybe what I will do is the straight swap now and continue to research units with Apple Carplay.

Originally Posted by Tsumi
You will lose detailed radio and call information on your gauge cluster panel (not sure specifically what). You will also lose use of the OEM mic (tried tapping into it at the plug and couldn't make it work. Will probably need to try tapping at the mirror). If you have navigation, you lose automatic synchronization of time on the gauge cluster panel. I would recommend going with an Android unit since the loss is minimal. If you pick correctly, you can get one that is compatible with Apple Carplay.

I have an OEM system with navigation that I can sell to you for cheap if you want it.