R-Class (W251) Produced 2006-2013: R320CDI, R350, R420CDI, R500

Dreaded Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today, 08:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
R350
Dreaded Crank No Start

Every time I think I have everything fixed this car seems to surprise me. A while back my R350 went to crank no start after getting gas at the local gas station. I started and stopped it at least 15 times that day no issue until that moment. Code reader said P0022 and P00122 for the camshaft adjustors.... I think this was stored from before. I have new camshaft adjusters not yet installed. the other code was 336 for the CPS. The car has 195k miles on it. I used a scope to inspect what I could of the timing chain. Everything appears in very good shape. Battery, alternator, and start are all working properly.

I towed the vehicle back to my driveway. Was working on it a few days later with the new sensor. Before changing the sensor it stated for just about 10 seconds and died. I watched the live data and the ECM is shutting down the fuel pump just after i turn the key. I've assume it was due to the bad POS. After about 4 hrs or cursing and working my hand down to the POS I swapped it for a new one I bought off Amazon. The car continues to no start and now gives a P0335. At this point I'm thinking its a bad new sensor. I at one point did see something about short in the left fuel sender, but I did disconnect and reconnect the pump checking it was getting signal so I'm not thinking that's the issue. I did replace the fuel sending unit to fix the fuel gage a while back. That was probably 8 tanks of fuel ago.

Could it be that I need to saw both the camshaft adjustors and CPS? I figured switching the CPS would get it running and then I'd get it out of the sun in my garage and change the adjustors out, but getting the Crank NoStart again just took the wind out of me.

Anyone run into this? Thoughts?
Old Today, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R 350
After installing the replacement cps did you run a scan and clear the codes? I'm sure you did, but just in case ...also -try contact cleaner on the cps connector.

Larry