R63 AMG (W251) 2007 - 2013 Discuss the R63 AMG.

R63 Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 08:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
Originally Posted by bvince
that's going overboard. It looks great and unique. It's aero and it's powerful and still made for cruising. I still haven't found the reason why merc discontinued it. Notice that nobody said gas guzzler. If you're willing to buy it, you shouldn't see gas as a problem. And now, Elon outed every one. You found out that big cars can have fast electric motors so Merc should make an electric one if gas is a problem, but Hummer proves that people don't think about gas if they want to buy big. There's no reason that passes mustard, to avoid continuing this particular Mercedes car.
It was not a very strong seller. MSRP was around $90k back in 2007. Tney sold about 100 in the U.S and about 3 in Canada. Since car companies are generally in business to make money, it is pretty easy to see why they didn't have it made after 2007.

Regards,
Jerry
Old 10-12-2022, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan
R63

Mercedes planned the limited number and never advertised them. This was for people who were seeking them out. And there are people bidding on them and buying them used. And no complaints from the customers. In fact they treasure them. Mercedes planned the stoppage after they sold the few they made. It's as if there is some form of resentment from both the manufacturer and the don't-rock-the-boaters that someone would buy a unicorn; as if these cars are members of some marginalized community.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
Originally Posted by Vichenry
Mercedes planned the limited number and never advertised them. This was for people who were seeking them out. And there are people bidding on them and buying them used. And no complaints from the customers. In fact they treasure them. Mercedes planned the stoppage after they sold the few they made. It's as if there is some form of resentment from both the manufacturer and the don't-rock-the-boaters that someone would buy a unicorn; as if these cars are members of some marginalized community.
That is an interesting perspective. Is that based on some inside information or just your feeling?

I think the pricing has held up well. 15 year old cars are bringing around 50% of MSRP (depending on condition and mileage and a discussion of the infamous headbolt and related issues).

But if the engineers got MB to make the car, I would have expected another run if they were good or even decent sellers. After all, MB is primarily interested in profits, even if they can be flexible with a halo car (like Honda's NSX which supposedly lost $1000's on each sale; those have REALLY held value well). That didn't happen because they simply did not sell. You were paying around $90k in 2007 dollars for an SUV/station wagon or 2x-3x of a comparable vehicle (performing similar functions. That is an awfully hard sell, even to car enthusiasts.

MB did not advertise them; you did have to be a car enthusiast to know about them. But even then, only 200 made for the world with approximately one half the production for North America.
MB continued on with the diesel and smaller V8. I don't recall these going for a premium when new either (unlike say the E39 M5 which had 10,000 units over a 4 year run in the U.S.).

I would love an updated version with today's technology, better aerodynamics and a lot of power with much better fuel consumption. Lighter weight would help. The interior packaging of all of the R class was terrific, with the only negative on the R63 the limited highway range because they had to compromise on the size of fuel tank given the packaging of the rear seats. It still gets occasional looks today on the highway.

I suspect MB was happy to let the GL/GLS carry on (same chassis at the time) along with the 2 row ML.

Regards,
Jerry
Old 10-12-2022, 10:39 AM

Nissan
Originally Posted by gsfent1
That is an interesting perspective. Is that based on some inside information or just your feeling?

I think the pricing has held up well. 15 year old cars are bringing around 50% of MSRP (depending on condition and mileage and a discussion of the infamous headbolt and related issues).

But if the engineers got MB to make the car, I would have expected another run if they were good or even decent sellers. After all, MB is primarily interested in profits, even if they can be flexible with a halo car (like Honda's NSX which supposedly lost $1000's on each sale; those have REALLY held value well). That didn't happen because they simply did not sell. You were paying around $90k in 2007 dollars for an SUV/station wagon or 2x-3x of a comparable vehicle (performing similar functions. That is an awfully hard sell, even to car enthusiasts.

MB did not advertise them; you did have to be a car enthusiast to know about them. But even then, only 200 made for the world with approximately one half the production for North America.
MB continued on with the diesel and smaller V8. I don't recall these going for a premium when new either (unlike say the E39 M5 which had 10,000 units over a 4 year run in the U.S.).

I would love an updated version with today's technology, better aerodynamics and a lot of power with much better fuel consumption. Lighter weight would help. The interior packaging of all of the R class was terrific, with the only negative on the R63 the limited highway range because they had to compromise on the size of fuel tank given the packaging of the rear seats. It still gets occasional looks today on the highway.

I suspect MB was happy to let the GL/GLS carry on (same chassis at the time) along with the 2 row ML.

Regards,
Jerry
ok. You are suggesting changes to the car which means your personal opinion. The fact is the used car owners are treasuring the car and the companies are running on government grants. I've heard non owners say they think the car is ugly or looks like a hearse but that doesn't determine that the car wasn't successful. I contend that making money isn't always the first concern because I'm thinking of 3 companies that asked for government bailouts after they decided to stop making unicorns. Like I said, the owners have no complaints. Sometimes a company just stops because they are bullied into stopping by hippies that accuse the car of not being good for the planet. In that case, all the company has to do is make an electric version, but they just refuse. Maybe they just eroded their confidence by listening to naysayers mock the car's appearance. Maybe they just don't want to rock the boat and they are ok with making all cars look alike, and small.
Old 10-12-2022, 11:00 AM

Nissan
R63 owners

Originally Posted by gsfent1

Regards,
Jerry
the only guy that isn't in debt is the guy that didn't stay conservative and didn't listen to naysayers: Elon Musk. The irony is that this man is a conservative. But he made a unicorn. No one imagined a big sexy sporty electric car. But Ford stopped making the Excursion, GM stopped making the hummer and Mercedes stopped making the R. Those 3 are in debt. Now gm returned to making the hummer electric and they are doing better than the others.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:21 PM

2007 AMG R63, AMG E63
R63 is so much fun...

Originally Posted by rbtmak
That's why we select few have the R63. I have embarassed on occasion, supposed sports cars such as M3, Porsches, etc....the look on their faces are in 1 word....PRICELESS.

This is from a guy who has owned mulitple "Ferraris." PZ

Of all the cars, call me crazy....the R63 is among my most favourite

I think 1 day, the R63 will become a classic.
I couldn't agree more. I drove the R63 a few nights ago from work at 2AM and a lone all black Mustang entered the freeway ahead of me and I caught up. I don't know the year or version but it was a newer version and sounded great. We stayed side by side till he floored it... then I casually did the same till I passed them. I slowed and waited till they were abreast again; till they floored it again. I shot past them again and we both waived to each other as we went our separate ways. A grin from ear to ear was what I was wearing the rest of my drive home.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:23 PM

2007 AMG R63, AMG E63
R63 is so much fun...sorry for double post!

Originally Posted by rbtmak
That's why we select few have the R63. I have embarassed on occasion, supposed sports cars such as M3, Porsches, etc....the look on their faces are in 1 word....PRICELESS.

This is from a guy who has owned mulitple "Ferraris." PZ

Of all the cars, call me crazy....the R63 is among my most favourite

I think 1 day, the R63 will become a classic.
I couldn't agree more. I drove the R63 a few nights ago from work at 2AM and a lone all black Mustang entered the freeway ahead of me and I caught up. I don't know the year or version but it was a newer version and sounded great. We stayed side by side till he floored it... then I casually did the same till I passed them. I slowed and waited till they were abreast again; till they floored it again. I shot past them again and we both waived to each other as we went our separate ways. A grin from ear to ear was what I was wearing the rest of my drive home.

Last edited by f360racer; 12-19-2022 at 03:29 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 12-19-2022, 05:29 PM

Nissan
R63

Originally Posted by f360racer
Yes. Where did Mercedes lose the cahoneys to make it? If they want to know what people like, ask the customer. Instead, they make an electric oversize bug that looks like everything else in the world. R63 achieves what hummer and excursion could not; room, agility, cargo space and parking ability without being too heavy for certain roads all at the same time. All three vehicles could be considered classic but two are considered too heavy for some roads, but you make the adjustment and stop being afraid of making your unicorn. Otherwise, Elon Musk will beat your a** every day.