R63 AMG (W251) 2007 - 2013 Discuss the R63 AMG.

Seriously considering an R63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering an R63
Seriously considering an R63

Hi folks,

I've been communicating with someone selling an R63, unfortunately about 400 miles from me, and am close to agreement (subject to an actual inspection when I fly up).

Are there any major/obvious issues I should really look out for prior to purchase.

I came across a class action lawsuit that pertains to all M156 engines, and even discussed on this forum, which is definitely giving me pause:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...8-defects.html

If there's anyone who's had these for a while, and especially if yours is high mileage I'd love to hear your feedback.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63s, 2021 E63s Estate
Not an R63, but my CLK63 has the M156 in it and I drive it a lot (mostly highway)...

In 2008, I was told my car was one of the first to have seen this issue. I guess if it was known since 2007, that may have only been relevant to the dealer/district.

Either way, this happened to me almost literally at 50,001 miles. Was driving one day and taptaptaptaptap. Changed my oil religiously at 10K, serviced per MB guidelines. The dealer and the extended warranty company went toe-to-toe to fix it. They replaced all lifters, valves and all four camshafts (there was wear on the lobes). Ultimately the repair bill was 7K. (Dealer service rates). Last I checked the stock camshafts run 1500/ea from the dealer. For that money, you can get better aftermarket replacements.

No major mechanical problems to report until 149K. Still change oil every 8-10K. Blew a head gasket, tore down the top end, and sure enough - the lifter problem had resurfaced (though admittedly not as bad this time). Replaced head gaskets, all lifters, valves, camshafts, added M159 valve buckets (the real source of the problem I'm told), ARP head studs, new engine/transmission mounts, brake pads up front and new rotors/pads in the rear, headers, midpipe, a tune, and a bunch of other "little" things. Total repair bill came out to 15K including parts (7K in "non-essential" parts). Some, I had been putting off (for instance, my convertible top stopped functioning due to a faulty shock). This was at my indy shop. Car runs great now.

It's up to you. I swore I wouldn't own this car out of warranty, and once that happened, I didn't want to get rid of it. It's given me a tremendous amount of driving pleasure (and my tire shop a lot of repeat business).

Now, I have a Weistec supercharger and transmission slated for it come April.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely. With their cost now, I actually toy with the idea of purchasing a second one for parts. LOL

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions. Cheers!
Old 01-27-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering an R63
Thanks for the very candid response.

So, it does seem that this camshaft issue does eventually come up. The repair rates you've said, although in no way inexpensive, don't seem as bad as I thought.

Were you saying that if one were to swap out the valve buckets for those in the M159, that this taptaptap issue can be avoided?

Thanks again for the info.