R63 AMG (W251) 2007 - 2013 Discuss the R63 AMG.

Portland, OR R63 Restoration Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 09:59 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I haz all the dad cars - R63 AMG, 2022 GLB 250, and a 2018 E63 Wagon.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:48 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
R 63 AMG, Mercedes E320
Looks like the keyless go was ruined by water getting into the spare tire well?

And it looks like you missed the gun show by a couple of weeks. Or is that a couple of years?
Old 05-18-2020, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1955W196S
Looks like the keyless go was ruined by water getting into the spare tire well?

And it looks like you missed the gun show by a couple of weeks. Or is that a couple of years?
Yes, I’ve already ordered a new unit and am going to attempt to repair the harness. Wish me luck....

It’s too bad about that show😂
Old 05-24-2020, 12:26 AM

It works....mostly. It took a few hours cleaning corrosion and soldering broken wires, but my Keyless Go works! As suggested in an other thread I purchased a used control module from an ml350 for $50 shipped. Once everything was clean and reconnected it worked right away. It does seem like I’ll need to buy at least a couple door handles.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:28 AM

The following 2 users liked this post by focalxplosion:
chassis (05-27-2020), rbtmak (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 12:37 AM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
GLS63, R63, Cayenne Turbo & GTC4 Lusso
Great work!!!
The following users liked this post:
focalxplosion (05-26-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 03:57 AM

R 63 AMG, Mercedes E320
Congratulations! Thanks for all the photos. Why do you need new door handles?
focalxplosion (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM

Congratulations! Thanks for all the photos. Why do you need new door handles?
Neither driver side door handle responds to keyless go and both squirt water out when you depress the rubber button 😂

I’m going to remove the rubber cover and try to salvage them, but I’m not optimistic.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:47 PM

R 63 AMG, Mercedes E320
Originally Posted by focalxplosion
Neither driver side door handle responds to keyless go and both squirt water out when you depress the rubber button 😂

I’m going to remove the rubber cover and try to salvage them, but I’m not optimistic.
Please keep us posted. Mine doesn't have keyless go. I actually have to push the button on the key fob to unlock the door, put the key in the slot, and turn it. Some days I wonder if it is even worth the effort.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:12 PM

Please keep us posted. Mine doesn't have keyless go. I actually have to push the button on the key fob to unlock the door, put the key in the slot, and turn it. Some days I wonder if it is even worth the effort.
I wouldn’t mind doing without it, but I also can’t stand broken things. I figure it’s good for resale value down the road too. Whenever I see auto listings with little things broken it causes doubt and skepticism to creep into my mind. When I sell it I hope to be able to say with confidence that ever little thing works as new. Maybe that’s unrealistic but it has served me very well in the past.

at any rate I decided to relocate the control module up higher in the chassis.

Prerna (06-03-2021)
Old 05-27-2020, 06:35 AM

R 63 AMG, Mercedes E320
I wouldn’t mind doing without it, but I also can’t stand broken things. I figure it’s good for resale value down the road too. Whenever I see auto listings with little things broken it causes doubt and skepticism to creep into my mind. When I sell it I hope to be able to say with confidence that ever little thing works as new. Maybe that’s unrealistic but it has served me very well in the past.

I fully agree with you about fixing everything that is broken. I really wanted the keyless go, but when you buy used, you don't always get everything you would like, and that is even more true with a car as rare as the R63. I had wondered if keyless go could be added to a car that didn't have it from the factory, and while I would still like to know if it is possible to retrofit it, I'm not sure if I would or not. Nice job on placing the unit higher up.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:36 AM

That's great work, and very smart where you relocated it. Early Keyless go handles are always a problem. Years ago, I owned a 2005 E500 Wagon. The keyless go handles broke ALL the time that in the end, I just let it be.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:50 PM

***Long Overdue Update***

It’s been a while since I’ve posted an update but it’s not from lack of work. Since my last post the car has mostly sat parked while I work from home. I’ve only put 700 miles on the car since acquiring it! This may become a more permanent arrangement and has me thinking about the long-term need for this car, but that’s a decision for another day.

In the meantime I’ve now replaced the battery and the original alternator. Sitting didn’t help the battery, but it was also clear the the alternator was original and showing it’s age and weakened charging. Around that time I also had my mechanic replaced the front axle boots that were split and flinging grease.

The dealer replaced the lower coolant pipe, which turned out to be an expensive misadventure as the part is no longer available. Fortunately they were able to cobble together parts from this ML63 and R350 to make it work but not before many frustrating calls to Germany. While there I had them program and cut another key.

Most recently I’ve been getting a check engine light related to fuel pressure. As most everything in the fuel system has been replaced I decided to change the only thing that is left and likely original, the fuel injectors. While I was in there I replaced the spark plugs and repainted the intake manifold as the original finish has been coming off. Since my car isn’t it’s original exterior color I took the liberty to change the color of the intake manifold as well.

I still have some odds and ends to attend to but overall it’s become a very enjoyable ride. Next I’d really like to delete the resonators but I’m still trying to decide how I want to do that. I’m thinking of buying a used set from an ML63 and welding the pipes myself to have a completely bolt in replacement that can just as easily be returned to stock.

Last edited by focalxplosion; 05-24-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:15 PM

Where did you source the injectors?
Old 05-24-2021, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by rbtmak
Where did you source the injectors?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/

They were the lest expensive and carry a lifetime warranty.
rbtmak (05-24-2021)
Old 05-26-2021, 10:16 PM

Quick update

There is a noticeable improvement in drivability and an even more noticeable improvement in fuel economy. I haven’t driven enough to say this with complete confidence, but the early results suggest my fuel economy is up almost 20%!!!
Old 05-31-2021, 10:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
Quick update

There is a noticeable improvement in drivability and an even more noticeable improvement in fuel economy. I haven’t driven enough to say this with complete confidence, but the early results suggest my fuel economy is up almost 20%!!!
What does "20%' better fuel economy mean in real world mpg's? Just curious as my car runs close to advertised (depending on highway speeds of course!).

Regards,
Jerry
Old 06-01-2021, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by gsfent
What does "20%' better fuel economy mean in real world mpg's? Just curious as my car runs close to advertised (depending on highway speeds of course!).

Regards,
Jerry
I rarely drive on the highway, but I'll be testing it later this summer when we go on vacation. I was consistently seeing 10 MPG around town and confirmed at the pump prior to the service. I haven't run a full tank of gas through it yet, but the computer now consistently reads about 12 MPG. Fortunately I will only drive my R63 about 1000 miles/year so that abysmal fuel economy is acceptable.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
W163 ML500 w/Kleeman headers (gone but not forgotten); R63
I rarely drive on the highway, but I'll be testing it later this summer when we go on vacation. I was consistently seeing 10 MPG around town and confirmed at the pump prior to the service. I haven't run a full tank of gas through it yet, but the computer now consistently reads about 12 MPG. Fortunately I will only drive my R63 about 1000 miles/year so that abysmal fuel economy is acceptable.
OK, thanks. I really don't care about city mpg too much, just highway mpg (for range). Cruising with the flow of traffic (75-80) I see about 16 as advertised. If I can keep it below 75 I can go up 1-2 mpg.

Since the computer is either lifetime or resets every day (after about 2-3 hours actually), I don't pay a lot of attention to that in city driving. Always hand calculate the mpg's, usually within 1 mpg of computer.

Regards,
Jerry

Old 06-28-2021, 05:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
cars
This was fun to read about all the work you put into your R63 so far. I have to admit I had a chuckle when you mentioned the unavailability of the lower rad hose because I think there's a good chance I got the last one a while back... I remember having to wait for it to be manufactured and come in from Germany. Did you have an error code that led you to replace the fuel injectors? Before parking my R63 away for this past year I had a fuel-related error, and had replaced the rail mounted pressure solenoid/sensor, but that didn't eliminate the error. I was just recently thinking of unearthing the R63 and replacing the fuel pump unit (which I believe has a pressure regulator built into it...?), but after seeing your post, I'm wondering if I should focus on the injectors instead...?
Old 06-30-2021, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by vanable
This was fun to read about all the work you put into your R63 so far. I have to admit I had a chuckle when you mentioned the unavailability of the lower rad hose because I think there's a good chance I got the last one a while back... I remember having to wait for it to be manufactured and come in from Germany. Did you have an error code that led you to replace the fuel injectors? Before parking my R63 away for this past year I had a fuel-related error, and had replaced the rail mounted pressure solenoid/sensor, but that didn't eliminate the error. I was just recently thinking of unearthing the R63 and replacing the fuel pump unit (which I believe has a pressure regulator built into it...?), but after seeing your post, I'm wondering if I should focus on the injectors instead...?
I've been getting an intermittent and infrequent P0191 error. My mechanic couldn't pinpoint the culprit and everything seems to otherwise check out fine. The fuel pumps were allegedly replaced by the previous owner just before the sale but I couldn't find any evidence the injectors had ever been replaced. Given the stories of stuck injectors on other M156 motors I decided it was worth the piece of mind to just do them and hope it clears the problem. So far so good. I've also read that an old PCV valve can cause the same error code and I also have no evidence that this has ever been replaced. If the code comes back this is next on my list.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
-
I've been getting an intermittent and infrequent P0191 error. My mechanic couldn't pinpoint the culprit and everything seems to otherwise check out fine. The fuel pumps were allegedly replaced by the previous owner just before the sale but I couldn't find any evidence the injectors had ever been replaced. Given the stories of stuck injectors on other M156 motors I decided it was worth the piece of mind to just do them and hope it clears the problem. So far so good. I've also read that an old PCV valve can cause the same error code and I also have no evidence that this has ever been replaced. If the code comes back this is next on my list.
Just a comment on the upper rad hose - it would seem that it’s 100% compatible with a ML63 and doesn’t need to be replumbed. I bought a few hoses to join them together, but when we actually took them apart, the ML63 one fit fine. Just for future reference!

I LOVE what you’ve done with the interior. I think I might try this. What did you use to wash the carpets? My leather and seats are absolutely supreme despite the age (car has been extremely well taken care of), but carpets could definitely use a clean.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I LOVE what you’ve done with the interior. I think I might try this. What did you use to wash the carpets? My leather and seats are absolutely supreme despite the age (car has been extremely well taken care of), but carpets could definitely use a clean.
I rinsed with my pressure washer, then sprayed with a very diluted mix of Tide in a spray bottle and then rinsed again with the pressure washer.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:13 AM

Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts
2006 R500
Very nice car, wish I had one of these but the maintenance would be too much.

Off topic question, but does the spare tire actually fit over the brakes? I think you're supposed to have a minimum of 19" tires, and I believe the spare is 18". Asking because I am thinking of upgrading to R63 brakes.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 R63 AMG, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Any updates on this project? I too am organizing my parts and planning my R63 rejuvenation. I purchased the car 3-4 years ago and have already done quite a bit to it over the years but still a lot to do.
Done already:
Both front air struts replaced with Bilstein units
AC compressor replaced and flushed since it blew up
thermostat belt and a few pulleys replaced as AC blow up shredded the belt that in tern trashed the thermostat (common on the M156)
transmission filter and fluid change
new coil packs and plugs
resonator delete (just yesterday and it sounds fabulous)
wheel change to 21" G63 wheels
radio replacement due to worn out buttons
steering wheel replacement to custom sport wheel with flat bottom, looks badass and also ridiculous in a minivan

NEED to do:
Rear hatch gas struts shot so hatch won't stay up but slowly lowers, button on hatch no longer works, hatch won't pull all the way down and latch even when it was working better
PCV valve shot I believe as I get P0451 Evaporative Emissions system pressure sensor switch range performance.
Fuel injector replacement as I will often get P0174 and P0171 System too lean Bank 2 and Bank 1 which I assume is either clogged injectors or clogged fuel filter (another need to replace)
Keyless Go and wiring harness in wheel well blown due to water ingress.
most all weather stripping on car brittle and cracked
numerous body issues with dings and scratches needing a repaint
Rear roof panel clear coat gone and matte finished now from sun damage
various window switch buttons broken
Passenger door handle lock won't actuate with the unlock/lock buttons so need to replace
Intermittent bucket tick on driver side so assuming I will also be replacing intake cams and all buckets
No indication head bolts have been swapped so also on the list when I pull the head covers
engine and transmission mounts are shot and replacements here to be installed
gas struts for the 3rd row seat bottom raising are blown so you have to manually lift the seat bottom to fold down third row
Parking sensors not working (not sure why) so will have to be evaluated
Adaptive light failure after hitting a crazy pothole so I assume it's the level sensor on the left front suspension that needs replacement or so I'm hoping.
headlights horrible cloudy and need a buff
Front indicator lights cracked and wet inside and need replacement

WANT to do (if I get bored after all that)
suspension lowering links
full interior rejuvenation although mines in really good condition so it would only be to make it even nicer and cleaner
hunt down OEM rear roof spoiler addition (probably more rare than hen's teeth)
Find or make some small front splitter to make it appear a little more sport/suv like
de-chrome!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Portland, OR R63 Restoration Thread