Used S550 4MATIC coupe versus the 2018 E400 4MATIC - thoughts.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:27 PM
exi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
--
Used S550 4MATIC coupe versus the 2018 E400 4MATIC - thoughts.

Perhaps a silly question, but one I figured was worth floating:

Have an older E350 coupe, RWD, in a snowy climate. Trade-in of probably $10k-$15k at this point. Single vehicle guy, like it that way. Was looking at:

1. 2018 E400 4MATIC;
2. 2016-2018 S550 4MATIC;
3. Audi S5, or;
4. BMW 4-series.

Test drove the E400 and Audi. Former is impressive; latter, wasn't a huge fan of the interior. Have never driven nor been in an S-class coupe. My presumption is that those who have driven both E and S coupes overwhelmingly prefer the S as the top of the range/segment. Intrigued by the E-class AMG coupe later this year but also value both speed/performance AND comfort, and if the C43 AMG I test drove is anything to go by, no thank you as to that ride. Just me.

My thoughts were these: if I were to option out a new 2018 E400 the way I want it, I'd be looking at a sticker of somewhere between $75k-$85k -- but then, seems some used S550 coupes are in the same neighborhood right now.

I realize I'm posting in an S-class coupe subforum, but I'm curious as to others' thoughts. Is there any good reason to go for a new E400 other than simply buying new? Any thoughts or anything in particular I should watch for as far as used S coupes from the last couple years? What would you spring for in the same situation? Looking for a completely optioned out ride, remote start via mbrace hence model year range, etc. My current car has been great overall, was bought used when I bought it, but RWD is getting old in this neck of the woods -- not to mention wanting to simply update as a bit of a car guy, and this is one of the few areas in my life I splurge a little bit financially.

Last edited by exi; 06-19-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
C is the entry level, e is the intermediate (better) , S is the best. The s class cars have everything, all the tech and all the luxury. Only thing better is a maybach.
I drove everything, I wasnt satisfied with any thing else but a S. I just got a S550 coupe
Old 06-22-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
Originally Posted by okbarnett
C is the entry level, e is the intermediate (better) , S is the best. The s class cars have everything, all the tech and all the luxury. Only thing better is a maybach.
I drove everything, I wasnt satisfied with any thing else but a S. I just got a S550 coupe
I completely agree with this. I drove a CL55 for 10 years (this was in its day the designation for the S class coupe). That was the best car i ever owned and it had everything for its era. It is nice to have a top of the line car over the long run. Unfortunately I recently totaled the CL55 and had to replace it with a 2016 S550 coupe. Overall the S550 is a great car and is certainly top of the line. So in that regard if i keep it for a long time then i am sure i will be happy with it.

My small personal issue is that the suspension system on the S550 is not as good as the old CL55. So it doesn’t handle as well. But it sounds like you want a 4 wheel drive and are not necessarily that into handling in the twisties. In that case the S550 is a great car.

The S550 is certainly a much better car than an E class in every single category. In terms of return on investment the 2-3 year old S class will have taken a big depreciation hit and, as you said, you can get it for the same price as a new E. So 3 years from now the S will likely be worth more than the E. If those were my two choices, it is a no brainer—go with the S class.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:40 AM
exi

--
Belated thanks for the input. Still looking, found a 2016 S550 I'm interested in; similarly, there are some used 2018 E400 coupes out there, even with the Premium 3 package and ~6-8k miles, can be had for ~$70k, it seems. I just can't seem to talk myself into that when the two year old S, for about $10k-$15k more, would be expected to be the better car and would be missing only what, Apple CarPlay and a couple other things?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the whole car is superior rather than to just have phone connections
Old 07-05-2018, 01:40 PM
exi

--
the whole car is superior rather than to just have phone connections
My feeling as well. Just am not able to test the S as would be buying from a distant dealer. Never even been in one, actually.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:21 PM

Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
Originally Posted by exi

My feeling as well. Just am not able to test the S as would be buying from a distant dealer. Never even been in one, actually.
You need to drive it. It is definitely a “big” car and feels like it when you drive it. So you have to like that feel. I also have a big Ferrari coupe and so I do like the feel. But it is certainly not for everyone.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
I drive a 2018 E400 Coupe. It is a fantastic car, especially once optioned nicely. It's not quite an S coupe though, no matter which options are applied. It's not as opulent as the S, by design of course. One thing to note is the backseat of the E coupe is bigger, or at least more roomy for adults than the S coupe, but that's minor unless frequently used. The maintenance costs of the S coupe will be somewhat more, given the cost differential. I am a very happy E coupe driver, if budget were not a factor I'd have an S coupe. It's up tp you.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Apples/Watermelons...if you find the right one go for the apple.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:14 PM
exi

--
Originally Posted by RonCL55
You need to drive it. It is definitely a “big” car and feels like it when you drive it. So you have to like that feel. I also have a big Ferrari coupe and so I do like the feel. But it is certainly not for everyone.
Wish I could. Work schedule has me a bit tied up, and there quite literally isn't one available to test drive anywhere within easy distance. All I can compare to is the 2018 E coupe I've tested, dimensions being not far off from the S coupe, though obviously not quite the same. That didn't bother me but did feel a bit bigger than my earlier-gen E coupe.

Originally Posted by teksurv
I drive a 2018 E400 Coupe. It is a fantastic car, especially once optioned nicely. It's not quite an S coupe though, no matter which options are applied. It's not as opulent as the S, by design of course. One thing to note is the backseat of the E coupe is bigger, or at least more roomy for adults than the S coupe, but that's minor unless frequently used. The maintenance costs of the S coupe will be somewhat more, given the cost differential. I am a very happy E coupe driver, if budget were not a factor I'd have an S coupe. It's up tp you.
Did you have a chance to test drive or see an S coupe in person, and are there any particular issues you've had with your car or things you feel the S does better aside from the opulent part? My only other real competitor at this point would be a BTO 2018 E400 coupe, as I did like what I test drove and have had a great run with my current E -- after discount and almost fully loaded, it'd be (a) cheaper by a good $10-$15k, (b) full factory warranty versus half of term remaining plus CPO with the S I'm looking at, (c) cheaper repair/maintenance costs. Trying to gain as much insight as I can from those who have more experience than I do with the model.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2015 S550 Coupe
You seem to care more about the financial comparison, warranty, and maintenance costs so there is no rational reason to get a used S-coupe over the new E400 coupe. We can't simply explain to you why to get one and if you don't feel it, then it's not for you. Just get the E400 coupe -- You'll be happy.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:05 PM
exi

--
Originally Posted by mikey94025
You seem to care more about the financial comparison, warranty, and maintenance costs so there is no rational reason to get a used S-coupe over the new E400 coupe. We can't simply explain to you why to get one and if you don't feel it, then it's not for you. Just get the E400 coupe -- You'll be happy.
Point well taken. Important things, yes, but it's not that -- just trying to get as much information and perspective as I can since I can't get to an S coupe in person easily. My feeling is that if I saw and sat in the S in person, I'd "get it" as to why the S has been the pinnacle for as long as it has. Pretty much why it's a tricky decision sight unseen.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
I did see one in person, yes. Depending on how you option them, things like leather dash and door panels vs. MB-TEX, things like that. For 2019, the E coupe becomes the E450 with the same engine just more output, similar to the S450 sedan. If you drove and like the E, you'll be happy. If you drive/drove the S and for cost reasons chosoe the E, that might be a different story. I'm very happy where I am today, we'll see what tomorrow brings.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E is a little roomier than a c but no comparison to the comfortable roomy feel of a S
Old 07-20-2018, 04:10 PM
exi

--
Purchased the S. Awaiting delivery. Figured it clearly should be the better car -- and so I took a chance on it. Thank you for your help, all.

Any little tips and tricks that came up that you all felt was helpful or just didn't know when you got yours?
Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

very complicated car, take alot of time to learn everything
Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 PM

very complicated car, take alot of time to learn everything

I agree. You really have to understand the car and what you are coming from. So you have to have reasonable expectations and understand the nuances of the car in order to really appreciate it. So simply put, there is a learning curve.

Hopefully this doesn’t sound too negative, I came from a supercharged CL 55 and this S class successor is not that. So you have to take it with a grain of salt and not have grand expectations (which unfortunately I did). Issues: There is huge turbo lag. So be careful. I got myself into situations where I assume I would have instant pedal gratification and I did not. So drive cautiously initially as this is not a rocket ship off the line. Second, the suspension system is simply bad. So it sucks in the corners. If you expect it to handle, again, be careful until you learn its characteristics in cornering.

With all that said, it is really a very, very nice car overall. For me, in understanding the car, the big issue was figuring out all of the electronics and the Comand system. As was stated, it is very complicated! Personally, I think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to fully use it (unfortunately I am not and there are still things I have not yet figured out).

To reduce the learning curve here are things that I think are useful:

This is the link to on line owners manual: https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/ownersmanual/MY16_S_Class_Coupe.pdfYou will find that helpful as a reference point to figure out what things are.

Also, here is the link to the MBUSA video site, very helpful on specific topics:https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/owners/videos/year-2016/class-S_Coupe/model-All

If you are like me, the first thing you want to do is program your favorite radio stations. As a point of reference, in the center console you will see the round knob and behind it the black touchpad. As best I can tell the black touchpad is duplicative of the round knob and really is a waste of time. Also be careful, some of the instructions you find on line show that there are keys in the touchpad. I tried to pry open the face of the touchpad. There are no keys—that is an earlier or other model (as I said, I am not a rocket scientist).

In terms of programming your favorite stations, I found the following on line and it really works:http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w205-c-class/2380913-please-help-me-make-sense-setting.html

Also if you are like me and still live in the prior century, I have an IPod with 5000 songs on it. You can simply plug your IPod into the glove box and have instant songs using the “Media” button. Awesome! If you don’t want to listen to the particular song in play simply turn the round Comand knob one turn and you are into the next song. I can drive like a demon and listen to the tunes I want at the same time. Probably the biggest positive of this car!

The factory setting on the balance and base level of the equalizer is really bad (if you are normally a single driver like me), so put the equalizer center just in front of the right rear passenger and pump up the base). You will find this sounds pretty good with Zepplin and AC DC.

(And oh yes, and it is almost as fast as my CL55 at 0 to 60 notwithstanding the turbo lag and gets about 15 miles to the gallon rather than the 9 of my CL55).

Have fun!

Last edited by RonCL55; 07-20-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:03 AM
exi

--
Thanks for the pointers and links! I'm a little excited and a little apprehensive -- how much bigger is it than my E350, how much bigger does it feel than my E350, is it worth the money bought sight unseen, am I really going to like a grey coupe after having had black for over a decade, etc. Actually looking forward to the (big) technology upgrade and the (big) performance upgrade, with or without turbo lag.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:54 AM

It will definitely feel bigger than the E and so ease into it. However, grey is an awesome color. I had it for 10 years on my CL55 and it was great. In my humble opinion it is the best color for not showing the dirt. So i am sure you will enjoy it.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:14 PM

2015 S550 Coupe
Music library on SD or USB

Originally Posted by RonCL55
Also if you are like me and still live in the prior century, I have an IPod with 5000 songs on it. You can simply plug your IPod into the glove box and have instant songs using the “Media” button. Awesome! If you don’t want to listen to the particular song in play simply turn the round Comand knob one turn and you are into the next song. I can drive like a demon and listen to the tunes I want at the same time. Probably the biggest positive of this car!
Another music option is to load up a 16GB or 32GB SD card and stick it in the slots that exists in the S-class and all current cars. I think these days an SD card or USB stick provides fast access to your music library and large cards/sticks are now inexpensive. The only trick is figuring out what directory arrangement to export your iTunes music library so the COMAND system lets you navigate the albums and artists and include album art, but there are Internet instructions for this.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:16 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Originally Posted by exi
Purchased the S. Awaiting delivery. Figured it clearly should be the better car -- and so I took a chance on it. Thank you for your help, all.

Any little tips and tricks that came up that you all felt was helpful or just didn't know when you got yours?
Play with the seat options. They don’t stay on so you’d need to keep going back to settings each time. Same with the air management ( center button on dash). Treat your self to a new perfume bottle. Many find it frivolous but hey, what other cars offer it? Don’t forget the brake hold function. Lane keeping is unnerving at times. I have never used the park assist. Don’t trust it with not curbing the wheels.

Enjoy.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:58 AM

2015 S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by coolcamden
Play with the seat options. They don’t stay on so you’d need to keep going back to settings each time.
Which seat options are not staying for you? I don't have any issues with my seat staying put, even with the easy entry/exit feature enabled.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
Originally Posted by mikey94025
Which seat options are not staying for you? I don't have any issues with my seat staying put, even with the easy entry/exit feature enabled.
Massage functions, and I want to say inflatable bolsters during cornering, sometime I feel them more than others.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:24 PM

2015 S550 Coupe
Originally Posted by coolcamden
Massage functions, and I want to say inflatable bolsters during cornering, sometime I feel them more than others.
I believe the Massage settings have a time limit, i.e., they don't run indefinitely. Do they get saved and restored with the seat memory?

The inflatable bolster setting should stay put between car restarts. I have mine set to 2 and always feel them.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
2017 E400 Coupe & 2018 GLC43
Delete