Sub/Amp Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 05:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 S63 AMG Coupe, Lexus lx570, Infinti fx45, c5 Z06, !990 300zx tt
The Buemeister system i solar and hits a beautiful range of highs and lows but the Bass is minimal. Im sure you guys know about the boost option that you can turn on when using your bluetooth setting media on the stereo. you hit options, then volume then boost on. Its a little better but still could use more bass.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:45 PM

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
I appreciate that and I did manage to stumble on it... but I drove a Chrysler 300 that had more thump then the S with the bass boost option on.

It seems to be tuned for classical music more than anything with a little thump.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:12 PM

OTO: If it helps I created another thread about accessing the rear deck. Someone was kind enough to post that information. See thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-c...ml#post7738700

I'm going to ask him if he has instructions for accessing the front speakers since you seem to think the front speakers have the bass. Are you thinking door? Or on the dash. The thought of touching that dash for me is probably out of the question.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 S560 Cabrio, 2018 GLS450, 2020 GLB250
Lowest bass frequencies are routed to a stock subwoofer mounted under the dash in the fire wall.

Years ago when I did an audio upgrade to a CLK55 convertible I found space under the passenger footwell. Under the carpet is a false floor made of plastic. When I removed it there was just a small computer with a ton of space around it. I moved the computer up under the dash behind glove compartment and had a fiberglass enclosure built to perfectly fit into the space. It maximized on airspace with a 10" flat Kenwood carbon sub. I never considered Kenwood for a sub before but JL Audio's flat woofer wasn't released yet so I tried it. It sounded awesome. Can take up to 1000 watts. I have a JL Audio 500 watt mono amp powering it. Deep full bass in convertible in front soundstage.

I'm going to explore the space in my 2017 S550 cabriolet because I need more bass!
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 AM

Just so we're clear. You're saying in the S550 coupe the factory sub is under the dash? I wonder if that's only on the cabriolet though. Do you have any idea how hard it is to access?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by lexnoir
Just so we're clear. You're saying in the S550 coupe the factory sub is under the dash? I wonder if that's only on the cabriolet though. Do you have any idea how hard it is to access?

Mine is convertible but I assume it’s same on the coupe if you have standard Burmeister. If you have the hi-end Burmeister it might also be there but they also have one in truck floor too.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:03 AM

Got it thank you. It's super frustrating because I have the amp hooked up and ready to go. The problem is the Brumeister won't let my sub thump. My installer says if we tap a speaker we're golden. But of course accessing a speaker on this car is not an easy task and I'm not trying to have anyone ripping my **** up unless they know exactly what they're doing.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by lexnoir
Got it thank you. It's super frustrating because I have the amp hooked up and ready to go. The problem is the Brumeister won't let my sub thump. My installer says if we tap a speaker we're golden. But of course accessing a speaker on this car is not an easy task and I'm not trying to have anyone ripping my **** up unless they know exactly what they're doing.
Another solution is locate the Burmeister amp where all the speaker outputs are located and tap into the correct one there.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:42 AM

That's what we did and also had the line out converter. The problem is, the sub will play but it's as if the Burmeister is doing something to restrict the output to the sub. It's really odd and we both agree we've never seen this before. We tested the sub and it THUMPS!! So it's not the sub or my after market amp. It's something the car is doing. After messing with the factory amp for hours testing each wire. He said if we can get to a speaker we're done. But you can't get to the speakers from the trunk. There are so many electronics and no way to access the speaker as it's on the inside of the rear and not exposed in the trunk.

It looks like we have to take the seats out, motorized sunshade in the rear, rear deck, and lord knows what else just to get to a goddamn speaker!! Someone in another thread sent me instructions for the rear deck access, shade, etc. I'm just hoping someone has an easier solution.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:35 PM

This may be an”Audio 101” suggestion for your installer but is it possible he tapped into both left and right to provide as source for your amp? If so the Burmeister’s DSP might send out of phase signals in lower frequencies depending where stock speakers are installed. For example, often dash speakers (such as center speaker) are usually out of phase because sound reflects off windshield to your ear. The Burmeister audio designers might want that out of phase depending on reflection and timing to listeners’ ears.

In summary, if L+R is connected, eliminate one temporarily to see if it helps. If so, wire one out of phase and you should have the missing thump. If this solves it you still have to listen closely to determine which L or R should be permanently wired out of phase to properly blend with the sound from the stock speakers.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:35 PM

You're speaking Mandarin to me right now. Ha. I will ask him I'm sure that would make sense to him. I hope that's all! Keep you posted. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:45 AM

I broke down and took it to a shop and I trust. We had the sub hooked up correctly, but the line out converter I purchased (the same one I purchased for my million other cars) the PAC wasn't correct. The shop sold me a $150 line out converter. They didn't tune the sub however so I'll be taking the trunk apart again. During this time I will take photos and give you the model number on the correct line out converter.

I now have some thump in my trunk! So in the end connecting an aftermarket sub and amp to this car is no different than any other vehicle. The difference is which line out converter you use.
The following users liked this post:
jeckyl&HydeS63 (06-12-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 10:10 PM

Finally Started Stereo Install

After a few months with S550 cabriolet and Burmeister stereo, I finally planned out my install. Here’s what I’m doing and started the project earlier this week.

I’m keeping all the stock speakers in place without modification but will be adding two 10” Kenwood Exelon KFC-XW1000F subwoofers. They will be installed in a custom fabricated fiberglass enclosure under the trunk floor. This requires removal of a foam place holder for car jack. Just enough airspace needed for 1.2 cubic feet needed for these woofers as a pair.

Also under trunk floor will be two Alpine amplifiers and an Audio Control sound processor. One Alpine PDX-F6 will provide 150-watts into each of the front four speaker sets. One set is the left mid and tweeter in door. This is powered as one channel as it was from the Burmeister amp and is crossed over as mids/highs. Same for the right mid and tweeter. Another channel powers the existing 9” stock woofer installed in the front firewall and crossed over as lows. The last channel powers the center speaker.

A second Alpine amp PDX-V9 provides 4x100 + 1x500. Each of the 100-watt channels will power the two back deck speakers and the two side speakers. The 500-watt mono channel will power the two 10” subwoofers wired as 2-ohm.

Audio Control DM-810 sound processor handles all the crossover points, time alignment, and equalization for sound quality flat response.

The unique component needed to obtain clean full range signal from the Mercedes Burmeister system is called Zen for Most (Zen-M) by Nav-TV in Boca Raton, FL. This part eliminates the factory Burmeister amp which complicates the system with preset, non-modifiable sound settings. Instead a fiber optic cable is removed from that amp and connected to the Zen which provides full range fully digital low-level audio signal. The Zen has low level outputs for each original speaker channel (front left, front right, front center, sub, middle left, middle right, back left, back right) so balance and fade controls operate as usual from the car’s display screen. Those audio signals are fed into the DM-810 for sound processing before feeding audio to the amplifiers.

Last edited by 0to60in4; 10-29-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:15 PM

Here are photos of the installation of audio wiring in the truck and starting building the subwoofer enclosure. The battery is hidden under a metal enclosure behind back seat. The stock Burmeister amplifier is in the trunk on the left side hidden behind pumps for the convertible top.

Let me know if people here want me to post photos as I build out the install.

Last edited by 0to60in4; 10-29-2019 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:29 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
S63 AMG
Originally Posted by 0to60in4
This may be an”Audio 101” suggestion for your installer but is it possible he tapped into both left and right to provide as source for your amp? If so the Burmeister’s DSP might send out of phase signals in lower frequencies depending where stock speakers are installed. For example, often dash speakers (such as center speaker) are usually out of phase because sound reflects off windshield to your ear. The Burmeister audio designers might want that out of phase depending on reflection and timing to listeners’ ears.

In summary, if L+R is connected, eliminate one temporarily to see if it helps. If so, wire one out of phase and you should have the missing thump. If this solves it you still have to listen closely to determine which L or R should be permanently wired out of phase to properly blend with the sound from the stock speakers.
Just ask'n....But why would you do out of phase and the resulting lack of imaging and signal cancelling when you can adjust environmental, i.e. windshield and other placement parameters, reflections and timing in the DSP digital realm?? Most processors are digitally tuned during the design phase of the system for correct installation to optimize speaker placement.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by SpiderAce
Just ask'n....But why would you do out of phase and the resulting lack of imaging and signal cancelling when you can adjust environmental, i.e. windshield and other placement parameters, reflections and timing in the DSP digital realm?? Most processors are digitally tuned during the design phase of the system for correct installation to optimize speaker placement.
I wouldn’t do out of phase. After reading another person’s issue with lacking bass thump I suggested he verify that his installer should not sum stock channels as sometimes stock stereo systems are tuned with center speakers purposely wired out of phase due to reflection off the windshield Also with convertibles that actively change equalization settings may also change phase for top up and top down due to different reflections.

In summary, I don’t recommend wiring any standard stereo system out of phase
Old 08-20-2020, 09:13 PM

Update: I finished this audio project many months ago and it sounded awesome. The only problem is the stock tweeters have a problem around 12000 Hz. Unfortunately someone ran a red light into me and my 2017 S550 Cabriolet was totaled. I replaced it with a 2018 S560 Cabriolet and plan to install all the same components in it next week. Only change I will make is I plan to also change the door speakers mid and tweeters. All the rear speakers will remain stock for surround sound fill and the center speaker handles power from Alpine amplifier just fine. The trick to the install is a piece called Zen-M from a company called Nav-TV. It gets installed to the digital fiberoptic wire to bypass the factory amp. It provides RCA outputs for every channel and optical audio out to connect all the aftermarket amps and processors without any modification to the integrated head unit.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: I finished this audio project many months ago and it sounded awesome. The only problem is the stock tweeters have a problem around 12000 Hz. Unfortunately someone ran a red light into me and my 2017 S550 Cabriolet was totaled. I replaced it with a 2018 S560 Cabriolet and plan to install all the same components in it next week. Only change I will make is I plan to also change the door speakers mid and tweeters. All the rear speakers will remain stock for surround sound fill and the center speaker handles power from Alpine amplifier just fine. The trick to the install is a piece called Zen-M from a company called Nav-TV. It gets installed to the digital fiberoptic wire to bypass the factory amp. It provides RCA outputs for every channel and optical audio out to connect all the aftermarket amps and processors without any modification to the integrated head unit.

Hey bud, thanks for keeping this thread updated. I'm hoping you could provide some clarity:

How does the Zen-M unit differentiate in its intended purpose when compared with JL Audio Fix-86?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-9B6Qsd...io-FiX-86.html

From my understanding, the Fix-86 equalizes all outputs so that they're flat, before you send the low level audio signals to a DSP.

I'm working on figuring out what to do for my S65, so trying to understand the different integrations methods and how far I want to go with this. So far I have a JL Audio 13TW5v2-2 sub and a JL Audio VX1000/5i amp which has built-in DSP that connects via Bluetooth to your laptop or phone for tuning many frequencies.

I'm deciding if I'm going to just get the subwoofer connected and call it a day, or add Focal speakers to the front doors. I'm sure they'll sound fantastic, but not sure they're worth tons of work just to install them. I imagine installing the front door speakers 3-ways was a job and a half?

Any advice you could provide, I would appreciate!
Old 09-24-2020, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by AlexT
Hey bud, thanks for keeping this thread updated. I'm hoping you could provide some clarity:

How does the Zen-M unit differentiate in its intended purpose when compared with JL Audio Fix-86?

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-9B6Qsd...io-FiX-86.html

From my understanding, the Fix-86 equalizes all outputs so that they're flat, before you send the low level audio signals to a DSP.

I'm working on figuring out what to do for my S65, so trying to understand the different integrations methods and how far I want to go with this. So far I have a JL Audio 13TW5v2-2 sub and a JL Audio VX1000/5i amp which has built-in DSP that connects via Bluetooth to your laptop or phone for tuning many frequencies.

I'm deciding if I'm going to just get the subwoofer connected and call it a day, or add Focal speakers to the front doors. I'm sure they'll sound fantastic, but not sure they're worth tons of work just to install them. I imagine installing the front door speakers 3-ways was a job and a half?

Any advice you could provide, I would appreciate!
That JL Audio piece is not the best product for our cars. It uses speaker level inputs from after the car’s factory amp which has distortion and post processing that needs to be flatten out. In contrast the Zen-M is specific for Mercedes vehicles with fiber optic audio. It gets its input directly from the digital fiber optic signal BEFORE the factory amp. This signal is pure with no preset processing, exactly what you want from the source head unit. The Zen has high voltage low-level outputs which you’ll connect to your JL DSP amp where you can tweak the sound to your preference using eq and time alignment.

Regarding your speaker question - In my previous 2017 S550 I kept stock speakers and only added 2 10” subs. But I was alway unhappy with the lack of crispness of the highs from the stock tweeters. In my most recent car 2018 S560 I installed all the same components plus now replaced front door speakers with Morel Elate mids and tweeters. This made a tremendous difference in sound quality. There is so much more detail and I couldn’t be happier. If you’re in the South Florida area you’re welcome to come give it a listen. In summary, I highly recommend you install your Focals for the front soundstage.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:22 AM

That JL Audio piece is not the best product for our cars. It uses speaker level inputs from after the car’s factory amp which has distortion and post processing that needs to be flatten out. In contrast the Zen-M is specific for Mercedes vehicles with fiber optic audio. It gets its input directly from the digital fiber optic signal BEFORE the factory amp. This signal is pure with no preset processing, exactly what you want from the source head unit. The Zen has high voltage low-level outputs which you’ll connect to your JL DSP amp where you can tweak the sound to your preference using eq and time alignment.

Regarding your speaker question - In my previous 2017 S550 I kept stock speakers and only added 2 10” subs. But I was alway unhappy with the lack of crispness of the highs from the stock tweeters. In my most recent car 2018 S560 I installed all the same components plus now replaced front door speakers with Morel Elate mids and tweeters. This made a tremendous difference in sound quality. There is so much more detail and I couldn’t be happier. If you’re in the South Florida area you’re welcome to come give it a listen. In summary, I highly recommend you install your Focals for the front soundstage.
Many thanks for that reply! Looks like the Fix-86 is going back and I'll go with the Zen. I suspected that it would nullify the need for the Fix-86 as it's a straight Fiber connection.

Granted I haven't received my car yet, but I suspect that I won't be impressed with the sound system's clarity as I had the same thoughts when I had a 2012 C63 Black Series. Added a sub to that car via line driver.

If you're impressed with the Morel components then I should be quite pleased with the Focal as they're both high end brands.

Would you happen to recall the sizes of components? I've been trying to find information about speaker sizes to start looking into getting a 3-way components set from Focal for the doors.

How many speakers do you have running now and are they 2/3 ways? Any stock speakers left for 'fill'?
Old 09-24-2020, 07:58 AM

Many thanks for that reply! Looks like the Fix-86 is going back and I'll go with the Zen. I suspected that it would nullify the need for the Fix-86 as it's a straight Fiber connection.

Granted I haven't received my car yet, but I suspect that I won't be impressed with the sound system's clarity as I had the same thoughts when I had a 2012 C63 Black Series. Added a sub to that car via line driver.

If you're impressed with the Morel components then I should be quite pleased with the Focal as they're both high end brands.

Would you happen to recall the sizes of components? I've been trying to find information about speaker sizes to start looking into getting a 3-way components set from Focal for the doors.

How many speakers do you have running now and are they 2/3 ways? Any stock speakers left for 'fill'?
I have Morel Elate 903 which is a 3-way set and fairly large crossover. I have this set from a previous car. In this case I’m only using the mid, tweeter, and crossover all installed in the door. I did not use the 9” included woofer because the car has two stock 10” woofers in the firewall under the dash which handle the Alpine amp power and sound great. This is in addition to the two 10” woofers I added in the trunk enclosure. The tweeter is 1 1/8” and mid is 3 1/2”.

You don’t need to run speaker wires everywhere. You tap into all the speakers at the factory amp area. Only one speaker wire runs into each door so the crossover was installed inside the door which worked out well.

I didn’t change any other speaker because they are all rear fill and all handle the power. Same with the center - it handles the power and is also integrated with the mBrace system directly.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:18 PM

I have Morel Elate 903 which is a 3-way set and fairly large crossover. I have this set from a previous car. In this case I’m only using the mid, tweeter, and crossover all installed in the door. I did not use the 9” included woofer because the car has two stock 10” woofers in the firewall under the dash which handle the Alpine amp power and sound great. This is in addition to the two 10” woofers I added in the trunk enclosure. The tweeter is 1 1/8” and mid is 3 1/2”.

You don’t need to run speaker wires everywhere. You tap into all the speakers at the factory amp area. Only one speaker wire runs into each door so the crossover was installed inside the door which worked out well.

I didn’t change any other speaker because they are all rear fill and all handle the power. Same with the center - it handles the power and is also integrated with the mBrace system directly.
Ok the tweeter and mid of those sizes just drop-in without any fitment issues? I wonder if the other speakers in the doors are 6.5" round standard size.

So installation for an installer should be as simple as removing doors, dropping-in the components, and going to the factory amp which identifies which wires go to which speakers? I can't imagine installation should take too long in that case.

I'll be using that Zen, so I'll end up bypassing or replacing that factory amp.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:24 PM

Ok the tweeter and mid of those sizes just drop-in without any fitment issues? I wonder if the other speakers in the doors are 6.5" round standard size.

So installation for an installer should be as simple as removing doors, dropping-in the components, and going to the factory amp which identifies which wires go to which speakers? I can't imagine installation should take too long in that case.

I'll be using that Zen, so I'll end up bypassing or replacing that factory amp.

Yes it’s as simple as that. But our cars are not Honda’s so expect installer to take more time being careful not to scratch anything and everything is put together solid which times to remove and put back. Mine is convertible so extra work involved to get to factory amp working with rear boot for top, etc. Also my doors only have tweeter and mid speakers, no 6.5” woofer. Mine has two 10” under dash in firewall for front low frequencies.

Here’s two pics of the new speakers installed in the doors and the large crossover.

Last edited by 0to60in4; 09-24-2020 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AlexT (09-25-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 01:04 AM

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
G550, S550, E300
Do you have pics of where you put the subs... thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
Poor sound quality in Burmester

Hello: I cannot agree more that the sound quality is miserable in ( at least the cabriolet ) I have the high end burmester and have taken it as far as I can Sounds so processed and muddy with lack of clarity. I have spoken to the dealer , I have spoken to MBUSA and I have spoken to the field MBUSA person. MBUSA has washed their hands of it and said ' you may not like it , but that's the way it is. They claim " no one has complained about poor sound quality in the cab or coupe. If find it hard to believe but perhaps most people listen to talk radio. I have reached out to Burmester in Berlin , communicated with the head engineer , reached out to ASK , the manufacturer of the audio equipment. I paid to ship a new amplifier from Berlin and substitute the unit with updated firmware , brought the car to a local auto sound company , had an engineer take real time analysis measurement of predetermined sound frequencies , spoken to the owner of Nav TV , Moni and had him check the audio quality hands on. It comes down to a few items. !st , MBUSA doesn't think there is a problem 2nd , its really a firmware issue and it could most likely be corrected if not for the arrogance of MBUSA and whoever is involved. No one likes to feel they have been ripped off , I believe I have been ripped off. I paid to get the high end audio system. I received something that is actually sub par.sound. The " high end " system sounds significantly worse than the base audio i have in my 2014 GL. I suggest you dont waste any more of your time , I wasted so much time and costs. All you will get back is " audio quality is subjective " and ' it is what it is' were not doing anything. Some people dont care about audio quality and I am not audio aficionado but poor is poor. There are other issues however paying extra to get something worse does not bode well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sub/Amp Install