C217 Common problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cl550
C217 Common problems

Are there any common issues with the C217?
I've had the CL550 which had some common problems with the earlier models, but we're ironed out after time.

I'm looking at a 2016 and newer
Old 09-21-2019, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by PS702
Are there any common issues with the C217?
I've had the CL550 which had some common problems with the earlier models, but we're ironed out after time.

I'm looking at a 2016 and newer
I, too, am looking...not many around. In reading a lot of Carfaxs, the one concern that sticks out is tire wear. They 're being replaced at the 5k to 10k mile area.
Old 09-21-2019, 04:55 PM

Received 199 Likes on 164 Posts
2016 S550C4, 2005 SL500
My 2016 has had no issues other than stress cracking of the glass panorama roof. The replaced roof is as good as new.
The following users liked this post:
PS702 (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
Did 40K km with my first A217 (S63 convertible), so not that bad (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S).

No real issues afaik.
PS702 (09-22-2019)
Old 09-22-2019, 12:01 PM

Cl550
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
I, too, am looking...not many around. In reading a lot of Carfaxs, the one concern that sticks out is tire wear. They 're being replaced at the 5k to 10k mile area.
My concern would be the air suspension or a major mechanical problem.

The W216s has some common problems that were costly including the dynamic seats bladder
Old 09-22-2019, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550 coupe
I have noticed a couple of minor but irritating rattles with my recently purchased 2015 C217 with 20K miles.
One in the headliner in the area of the lighting panel / sun glass holder and one around the passenger foot-well, possibly the glove compartment area.

Interesting note regarding as.thompson's comment about a stress cracked roof - I went to see a 2016 C217 in Delaware (Porsche dealership) and they had replaced the roof due to a crack. They didn't know how it had happened, but could well have been a similar issue. (They had actually also screwed up the job, so I walked away despite a 350 mile drive to see it!).
Old 09-22-2019, 09:00 PM

Cl550
Originally Posted by stan_tetters
I have noticed a couple of minor but irritating rattles with my recently purchased 2015 C217 with 20K miles.
One in the headliner in the area of the lighting panel / sun glass holder and one around the passenger foot-well, possibly the glove compartment area.

Interesting note regarding as.thompson's comment about a stress cracked roof - I went to see a 2016 C217 in Delaware (Porsche dealership) and they had replaced the roof due to a crack. They didn't know how it had happened, but could well have been a similar issue. (They had actually also screwed up the job, so I walked away despite a 350 mile drive to see it!).
Did you ever fix the rattles and are the covered under warranty?
Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S550 coupe
Not yet - I've only had the car a couple of weeks, but once I've isolated them further, will try and get fixed on my extended CPO warranty.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
S63
I have a 2015 that I’ve had since new and not one single problem that I can remember. I’m thinking of selling soon as the extended warranty I bought will expire in November. I’ve got 41K on it and did replace the tires but only to put better looking wheels and get rid of the run flats. It’s been an awesome car! I wouldn’t shy away from a 2015 if the price/options are right. Good luck with the hunt!! Oops just now I remembered changing the sunroof cover but still it’s been pretty darn solid.
PS702 (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 04:58 PM

Cl550
Originally Posted by adc88
I have a 2015 that I’ve had since new and not one single problem that I can remember. I’m thinking of selling soon as the extended warranty I bought will expire in November. I’ve got 41K on it and did replace the tires but only to put better looking wheels and get rid of the run flats. It’s been an awesome car! I wouldn’t shy away from a 2015 if the price/options are right. Good luck with the hunt!! Oops just now I remembered changing the sunroof cover but still it’s been pretty darn solid.

Great writeup

Would you buy one without a warranty?
Old 09-24-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
My 2015 (S63 bought CPO in Aug 2016 w/8k miles, now at 26k miles) has been flawless. Zero issues, well except for the sagging seatback pockets which I think most if not all of these cars seem to have. Even tire life has been good, at least once I dumped the awful OEM Continentals.

The CPO warranty ends January of 2020 and it was a tough decision to keep the car and buy an extended warranty, or sell/trade it for something else. I looked at various other high end 4.seat or 2+2 coupes - LC500, CGT, M850, 911 (992), DB11- and really nothing else really compares to the S63, to me it uniquely gives the right mix of luxury, sport, and performance. Ultimately I decided to order a 2020 S63 Coupe as my dealer extended a fair discount and found an allocation that worked well with my preferred timing.

Reasons I decided not to keep the current car -

1. Cost of extended warranty and anticipated costly non-warranty work over next several years (including brakes and lithium ion battery)
2. Likelihood of major repairs that might leave me stranded and/or require extended downtime (particularly air suspension, likelihood of failure rises exponentially after 5 years)
3. Steady depreciation will continue until the car becomes practically worthless (no different than other high MSRP, 5 year old luxury car)
4. Numerous benefits/improvements on 2018+ production (9sp MCT, 603hp M176, 4MATIC+, Apple CarPlay, COMAND NTG5.5, HD displays, new steering wheel, added Sport+/Race modes, launch control, more aggressive exhaust, OLED lights, etc).

All that said, the 2015-2017 C217 is an absolutely incredible car that was brilliantly engineered and an incredible bargain at current pre-owned prices. And there are a few things about the older car that I prefer to the newer model, at least in S63 form, specifically the seatbelt extender, passenger seat control, and 360 camera buttons - Mercedes stupidly removed these very useful buttons from the 2018+ S63 Coupes, to make room for buttons that I doubt anyone uses, the rear headrest drop and sunshade, which could easily have been implemented in COMAND or via haptic buttons under the big glass panel without physical buttons. That said, I think they remain present in the S560 and maybe the S63 Cabriolet, however - it is a specific issue to the S63 Coupe. Mercedes also, I feel, should at last retrofit the C217/A217models with MBUX, multi-beam headlamps, and wireless CarPlay, since it is widely reported these cars will not be continued as a derivate of the W223 platform (which of course will get these things) but may continue production for a while, at least in coupe form.
PS702 (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 02:41 PM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by Heisenberg
And there are a few things about the older car that I prefer to the newer model, at least in S63 form, specifically the seatbelt extender, passenger seat control, and 360 camera buttons - Mercedes stupidly removed these very useful buttons from the 2018+ S63 Coupes, to make room for buttons that I doubt anyone uses, the rear headrest drop and sunshade, which could easily have been implemented in COMAND or via haptic buttons under the big glass panel without physical buttons. That said, I think they remain present in the S560 and maybe the S63 Cabriolet, however - it is a specific issue to the S63 Coupe. Mercedes also, I feel, should at last retrofit the C217/A217models with MBUX, multi-beam headlamps, and wireless CarPlay, since it is widely reported these cars will not be continued as a derivate of the W223 platform (which of course will get these things) but may continue production for a while, at least in coupe form.
Also the new S63 cabriolet lacks these seatbelt and passenger seat buttons. Has to do with the extra drive control buttons on the middle console (exhaust on/off, suspension, Manual, etc).
BTW, by pressing the P button there, the parking camera menu willl be switched on!

Wirelsse Carplay/Android Auto is there in hidden (service menu) but can not be enabled by dealer......
Old 09-24-2019, 04:40 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
Also the new S63 cabriolet lacks these seatbelt and passenger seat buttons. Has to do with the extra drive control buttons on the middle console (exhaust on/off, suspension, Manual, etc).
BTW, by pressing the P button there, the parking camera menu willl be switched on!

Wirelsse Carplay/Android Auto is there in hidden (service menu) but can not be enabled by dealer......
I guess the cabriolet just gets the driver memory#3 button back, since the rear sunshade is absent.

Wonder if there are any MB techs, indy shops with software, or third party developers (i.e. those that do the video-in-motion) that could enable the service/engineering menu options ? Sure seems silly to have the capability but not allow the owner/dealer to enable it.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:32 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Originally Posted by Heisenberg
I guess the cabriolet just gets the driver memory#3 button back, since the rear sunshade is absent.

Wonder if there are any MB techs, indy shops with software, or third party developers (i.e. those that do the video-in-motion) that could enable the service/engineering menu options ? Sure seems silly to have the capability but not allow the owner/dealer to enable it.
Indeed the Cabrio has 3 memory seat buttons and the headrest up/down button, I would have preferred they had only 2 memory and the seatbelt and/or passenger seat adjust buttons instead.....

About Engineering mode: might be possible, but not easy as it seems.........(password/code from factory needed).

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 10-08-2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:05 PM

S63
Honestly, I usually try and buy with a Warranty. I had great Luck with ALLY aftermarket warranty on my Escalade. When I sold it they actually refunded my $ for the unused portion so if you've gotta have one and don't want to pay the CPO price from the Dealer i'd call them for a Quote. But depending on the price difference between MB CPO cars and ones with no warranty, I think if cash was tight i'd probably entertain the idea of buying without one on this particular model. Just make sure you have an independent shop check the suspension. That's really the only potential trouble area.. The 4.7 Liter engine is smooth as silk and has plenty of power!! The build quality of all the other component's are Excellent.
PS702 (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 03:18 PM

Cl550
Honestly, I usually try and buy with a Warranty. I had great Luck with ALLY aftermarket warranty on my Escalade. When I sold it they actually refunded my $ for the unused portion so if you've gotta have one and don't want to pay the CPO price from the Dealer i'd call them for a Quote. But depending on the price difference between MB CPO cars and ones with no warranty, I think if cash was tight i'd probably entertain the idea of buying without one on this particular model. Just make sure you have an independent shop check the suspension. That's really the only potential trouble area.. The 4.7 Liter engine is smooth as silk and has plenty of power!! The build quality of all the other component's are Excellent.
Auction prices which are all the dirty, high mileage, leftover cars that the franchise dealers don't want, are on average 10% less than a CPO
There is no benefit at all in buying a non-CPO. The auction cars usually have worn tires, breaks etc. These are the cars none franchise dealers are buying

From what I understand about aftermarket warranties l, they don't cover wear and tear which would be the air shocks and suspension.
That's my biggest concern or something electrical
Old 09-25-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 S550 Coupe, 2015 GL 550
At 23K I have a coolant hose that needs replacing. At about 15K I took it in because I found it odd I was getting a low coolant message. Car was still under factory warranty. They brought it back and said no issue, we topped it off. That never sat well with me. Now here we are again low coolant, now I know there's a problem unless the car drinks coolant. Of course now it's out of warranty (how convenient) and they said "oh it's a coolant hose, very common with this car". Why the hell didn't you check that "common" problem before. I told them they need to do it under warranty. So we're sort of in the waiting phase. It's a small leak if you can call it that but I've been having nothing but issues lately with this dealership and it's causing me repeat visits. Alignment I had done felt like NOTHING was done. Just so happens they didn't give me an alignment sheet that day. I asked them to replace the light bulb in the door handle. Driver side flickers, but passenger was out completely. Response was we can fix the one that's out now under warranty, but we can't do the other until it goes out. Great so you want me to come back in a week when the flickering one goes out. Ugh. After he did one door, he was like the tech was complaining about how much had to come apart to get to the stupid LED light. Why MB made it so complicated is BEYOND me. Sure enough some time later the other light went out. When I took it in for a service I mentioned the light, they did the service and came back and was like "the tech remembers the other door, it's going to take several hours do you want to leave the car". It was a Friday I was going out of town I wasn't about to take that piece of **** C class. If it was even a C class. So during my coolant complaint, I also notice my door has a piece at the top corner that's split, I still have the door LED light out, and when I asked for a copy of the alignment paperwork I got a copy alright...with NO CAR information on it. Just numbers for the alignment. It sucks because the next nearest dealership isn't close. This one is very close.

That was a serious rant. Basically I've had the door led lights go out, mirror puddle light go out, and coolant hose. Mine is a 2015. Still pretty basic stuff.
PS702 (09-25-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 07:36 PM

S63
PS702,

Not sure what color you’re favorite is? My car is a 2015 obsidian black/cream designio exclusive Napa leather, sport pkg, driver Assistance Package premium pkg, warmth & comfort, bermister, heated wood steering wheel, HUD, 7k set of vossen wheels/tires That look extremely classy, new pads. 41k and not a mark on the car, warranty expires in November. I’m sure you could extend at dealer. I think it’s worth 57ish let me know if interested as i’m About to trade for a spec like Heisenberg or another S63 Sedan. It just be cool to see it go to another Mb world brother. Thanks, Andrew.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:36 AM

Cl550
PS702,

Not sure what color you’re favorite is? My car is a 2015 obsidian black/cream designio exclusive Napa leather, sport pkg, driver Assistance Package premium pkg, warmth & comfort, bermister, heated wood steering wheel, HUD, 7k set of vossen wheels/tires That look extremely classy, new pads. 41k and not a mark on the car, warranty expires in November. I’m sure you could extend at dealer. I think it’s worth 57ish let me know if interested as i’m About to trade for a spec like Heisenberg or another S63 Sedan. It just be cool to see it go to another Mb world brother. Thanks, Andrew.
Thanks Andrew
Check your inbox