S560 (in comfort) versus S63 AMG (in comfort): ride comfort question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 09:29 AM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
S560 (in comfort) versus S63 AMG (in comfort): ride comfort question

I asked a similar question years ago and was hoping to get others' thoughts on a specific aspect of ride quality of these two cars.

In short: previously had a 2016 S550 coupe on 20" wheels. Boaty, but comfy overall, as we know.

Traded to a different make which I did as a BTO. Have had for under a year.

Miss some things about the S coupes and, though out of production since 2021, I'm looking at CPO options for an S560 or S63 AMG to trade back. Between the S-coupe / Audi A7/S7 / BMW 8-series ~GT market niche, seems I prefer them in that order.

I'm leery of trading back and feeling like this was all a waste of money without adequate change from my S550.

All that said: all things being equal, for those who have had a chance to drive both an S560 coupe and S63 AMG on same-size rims, with both in comfort mode, how was the comparative ride quality? In other words, how much more firm or rough was the S63 versus the S560? Obviously the AMG will be more "planted" and responsive, but as I drive on marginal roads at times, I'm trying to make sure I don't trade back into something more harsh than I'd like.

There are no vehicles around me to test drive. I have minimal personal experience with AMG, having tested only a go-kart of a C43 and a rough-to-me E53.
Old 03-13-2024, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
I bought a 550 and after driving it around, I thought I would be satisfied with it. But after a year, and trying to convince myself it wasnt that bad, I finally decided I had to trade it for a 63. I cannot drive soft suspension cars. I do not want floaty soft rides. The 550 is for the non performance driver, Although the engine and trans are ok, the 63 engine and trans are much different. And the suspension is much more firm
Old 03-14-2024, 12:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
CLS550
I believe the benznija can code a s63 to ride like a s560 in comfort mode. You would have a soft ride in comfort and sport will be a true AMG mode. My s63( 20”) rides similar to a s550 on 22”s that I test drove.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:15 PM
exi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
--
I appreciate your insights, both of you.

I think I'm all but decided on returning to the C217 platform either with an S 63 (or, perhaps an S560) coupe. In addition to the two posts here so far, I've read many threads here on MBWorld with various takes: that the S63 AMG is either noticeably harsh, or that in comfort mode, it's quite comfortable and not too far from the S560.

I've collected some of what I've seen online and ask that anyone else here with any firsthand insight, agreement, or disagreement with any of the below chime in, as I and no doubt others would find it helpful.

As to the S63 coupe's specific ride quality, from other sources:

1. Top Gear's Chris Harris speaks highly as to the pre-facelift S 63 coupe's comfort (easily found on YouTube
);

2. Top Gear's Ollie Kew reviewed a pre-facelift 2016 S63 coupe and said "The ride isn’t actually that pillowy. I’ve got the car in Comfort mode ... It’s a long, long way from uncomfortable, but it’s not a magic carpet" (
source, though this was not an NA model and had Magic Body Control);

3. Car and Driver reviewed the facelift year 2018 S63 coupe and said "In short order, we settled on Sport mode for most of our driving, finding the ride too floaty and busy in Comfort and too harsh in Sport+." (
source);

4. CarBuzz on a 2020 and final year 2021 S63 coupe: "The best word to describe the driving experience of the S63 Coupe is dignified. It feels sure-footed, and despite its sheer size, is easily pointed into a corner with accuracy. The S63 Coupe will glide over rough roads with ease" and "The AMG adaptive sport Airmatic suspension does a wonderful job of ironing out bumps in Comfort mode", respectively (
2020 and 2021 sources);

5. CarBuzz on a 2021 AMG cabriolet: "In our experience, the S63 is at its best in Comfort mode. The adaptive air suspension and AWD ensure that grip is maintained, and the steering weighs up wonderfully the faster you go. You can cover long distances at epic speed without even noticing it, which is what makes this more of a true Grand Tourer than rivals from Bentley and Rolls-Royce" (
source);

6. CarExpert in Australia: "It somehow makes you more relaxed after the drive than beforehand. Comfortable and quiet when you want and brutally fast and loud when you need" (
source);

7. Gear Patrol briefly calls it "comfortable" on a 2018 (
source);

8. Overdrive in India on a 2018: "The ride quality is exceptional for a sports car of this calibre. It's not every day that you decide to take on 2,000kms the fabled Indian roads is an AMG, but the S63 left us impressed. From the broken roads of Hampi to the tall speed humps of Mumbai, the S63 did not scrape its underbelly or kerb it's wheels anywhere" (
source);

9. Evo UK on a 2018: "Even at more than two tonnes, the S 63 rides more deftly over poor surfaces, and the roar from its 20in rubber is less of an intrusion. It’s comfortable, too, with only a little fragility exposed at low speeds" (
source);

10. Top Speed on a 2019: "It’s civil and brutal at the same time, deliberate and raunchy, advanced beyond measure yet ferociously savage when it needs to be ... The AMG S 63 Coupe also delivers one of the smoothest rides of any car in the market today ... The AMG S 63 Coupe’s biggest and most appealing characteristic is its ride and handling. Very few cars in the market boast the kind of ride quality that the S 63 Coupe provides. It’s smooth, quiet, and comfortable all rolled into one. But as refined and relaxed as it is, it only takes a hard push of the pedal to reveal the coupe’s gnarlier personality. It’s that ability to turn on a switch that makes the AMG S 63 Coupe a standout model, even in a segment populated by Aston Martins, Bentleys, and Rolls-Royces" (
source);

11. Motoring World in India on a post-facelift model: "it rides beautifully on our roads" (
source);

12. CNet on a 2020 cabriolet AMG: "The S63 Cabriolet is nearly as good at being a cosseting chariot as the rest of the S-Class line, its comfort chops are only challenged on broken asphalt thanks to the 20-inch wheels wrapped in performance-oriented, 255/40R20 front and 285/35R20 rear tires" (
source).
Old 03-15-2024, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
I say the 63 even in comfort with low pressure in the tires,,,, is noticeably more stiff than any form of a 550. And thats why I like it.
You should go find some and drive around the block. I think you are going to tell in a mile.