S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Need help removing the rear door panel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 380 SE
Need help removing the rear door panel

I’m currently suffering from the familiar "broken nylon slider on the window" problem and I’m having a hard time figuring out how to remove the door panel.

I’ve searched the site and found references to a thread detailing the removal of the door panels, but so far I haven’t been able to find it.

Can anyone point me to an online resource or give me a few tips on removing a rear door panel. I’d sure hate to break something in a heavy handed effort to get the panel off.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300SEL
ok, i am going to try to walk you thru this. forgive me if i miss a step.

btw, this process is pretty much the same as on my w116.

1. behind the chrome door handle is a black plastic plate. removing this plate will gain access to the screw that secures the black trim piece that surrounds the door handle pull and integrates with the wood trim piece. to remove the plastic plate nudge a flathead screwdriver between it and the door trim (the part that surrounds the chrome door handle and integrates with the door pull). after you get your screwdriver between the two pieces pull it back towards the rear of the car. this will allow you to see the screw that holds the trim piece to the door. you should be able to remove the black plastic plate entirely from your door at this time.

2. unscrew the now exposed screw that was behind the plate. this should allow you to gently pull the trim piece away from the wood. be careful, because the window switch trim is attached to it and can easily break! if you end up pulling the window switch trim off with it, that’s ok. its all gotta come off somehow! unplug it too and set it aside.

3. now you will see the top screw of the door pull. unscrew this.

4. now unscrew the door pull at the base of it. you should easily see where to do this. look down the door pull until you see a cylindrical whole that goes into the door. that is where the screw is hidden back there, so feel around there to get a hold of the screw. it's a philips head, btw if you can't see it.

5. remove door pull.

6. now remove the door lock actuator pin. it's that mushroom shaped thing that is on the top of the door panel at the front.

7. pull out the under door light as if you are going to replace the bulb. unplug this and set it aside. this is the light that is on the bottom of the door panel and is there to light the street or curb. puddle light if you will. there may also be a screw in the vicinity of this location that keeps the door panel secure to the door frame. some have this screw some don't.

8. at this point go ahead and unscrew the door lock mechanism chrome finisher surround. this is located on the edge of the door panel. there are two chrome screws that fasten this piece to the door.

9. now unscrew trim piece that goes from the back of the door panel up the rear quarter window. this is the piece that is commonly used to pull the door closed when exiting. there are 3 screws holding this piece on (at least on my long-wheelbase car). you may only have 2.

10. what else. if i am not forgetting some, as i am sure i have... you should be able to remove the door panel at this time. this part is simple actually. just pull up on the door panel. straight up. not out. if you pull out, you will break off the plastic clips that are molded to the door panel. not a good thing because when you go to put the door panel back on, it will not secure firmly and rattle as a result.

ok, this should help as a guideline if nothing else. i may have forgotten some things because i do this process pretty often. i can take off a door panel in about 5 min, so some steps may seem intuitive to me but could be totally foreign to you! In fact one of my w116's door panels is right next to me awaiting cleaning.