S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

420SEL Looks and Comfort

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
420SEL Looks and Comfort

I purchasd my 1990 420SEL about 4 years ago and I love this big car. Valued then at about $15K, I got it for $8.5K -- good deal. Has another engine now, because my daughter drove it home one day with no coolant; replacement engine has about 140k miles. Runs great. Maintain it very well -- I'm a preventive maintenance kind of guy, from days as an avionics tech in the military. Loved the car until I had to replace the shocks. Installed Bilstines -- now it drives like a truck!! Never thought a luxury car could have such a hard ride. It rides sturdy and smooth as silk on the open highway, but around town with potholes, it sounds like and old ford pick up. The new shocks have been on the car for about a year -- 3 local Merc shops told me the Bilstines would ride smoother when worn in. Well I'm tired of waiting. Any recommendations for a set of shocks for smoother/softer ride. Are there American type shocks that will do this job? This car rode better than a Cadilliac when I purchased it - not a cushy ride, but it took bumps and potholes with quiet assurity.

Also, to me, my 420SEL also looks like it sags in the rear;(Guys in my Mercedes shop say it's perfect). I didn't heed warnings from the forum either; replaced the rear springs. Like advised, it changed nothing. I've seen 300s that have a higher rear profile than the 420 (wheel well clearance 2-3 inches above the tire as opposed to the 420 with 0-1 inch). I think I would like the car better and it would have of a more modern look if it had a higher rear profile. Is there a preferred way to do this -- insert spring pads that provide greater height, or lower the front, or both?

Last edited by Hank Lewis; 01-14-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:09 PM

500E's
Which bilsteins did you install in your car (Comfort/Heavy Duty)?
How many miles on the chassis of the car?
What springs did you put on the car (brand/type)?
What tires do you have on the car (brand/type/size)?

While there are more variables, those four should narrow down the cause of the truck ride.

You can raise the back or front of the car with shims they are purchased at the dealer for about $10 each that fit in the spring cups and will add 10 or more mm to the ride.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Hank, PM sent. Please let me know, thanks.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:38 PM

1988 Mercedes 300SEL, 1991 Lexus LS400, 1972 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate, 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville
All aftermarket struts/shocks provide a harsh ride in my opinion. Best to go with the factory OEM shocks/struts offer the smoothest ride I think. More $$, but worth it in the long run.

My 85' 380SE looks like it sags a bit in the rear too at times. (See photo) Most I have seen are like this. When I accelerate, I can really feel it squat down in the back and rare up in the front, but it does not concern me.

I would say that factory Mercedes struts/shocks would solve your problems. Perhaps get some off of a wrecked/salvaged Mercedes?
Attached Thumbnails 420SEL Looks and Comfort-img00001.jpg  
Old 01-15-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 300SDL aka the "Money Pit"
Bilstein Comforts or Sachs will give you a farily smooth ride. These are not Caddy's or W140's though so you will feel bumps.

As for the rear sagging that can be caused by several things.

Worn subframe bushings or diff mount.

Also replacing the springs will cure the rear sag if you use the proper spring. Aftermarket springs old through Worldpac are not the proper ones. You need to go the dealer and make sure you get the right ones for your car since they used a few. Then you can get different thickness spring pads to adjust the ride hight.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:20 PM

McBear,
Thanks for the quick response:
-- Not sure if the shocks are comfort or heavy duty, but will find out tomorrow.
-- 225K miles on the Chassis
-- Springs were ordered by the Merc Shop -- replaced after discussion. Pretty much trust these guys, so I didn't ask, but will check the paperwork and ask them tomorrow.
-- Tires -- Michelin MXV4s
Question: Thought about shims, but wouldn't they cause a harder ride?

Thanks//Hank
Old 01-15-2006, 11:40 PM

Hattersguy,
Actually, the left rear used to look lower than the right -- that's what prompted me to seek a solution in the first place. I replaced the springs already, but will check as suggested to make sure of the brand; pretty reputable shop, best in the area, so I'm pretty confident that I have the right springs for the car, but I'll certainly check again -- cost less than buying new springs.

Before making the decision, guys at the repair shop suggested that I not change the springs, because it would make no difference. Read through previous threads in the forum that suggested the same. Results after the replacement -- no change.

I've replaced a lot of the items that wear out on a car this age, but didn't think of the subframe bushings or the diff mount. Will check.

Thanks much. //Hank
Old 01-15-2006, 11:51 PM

86560sel,
My rear profile looks pretty much like yours. I really don't notice much acceleration squat; I've actually driven behind the car to check it out, while my wife was driving it. There are occassions where the left rear looks lower than the right, that's what promoted me to seek a solution in the beginning. From what I've read, OEM shocks/struts might be a good way to go, so I'll evaluate this option too. This car really used to ride very well. Many of my friends were surprised, because they had heard Mercedes offered a harsh ride.

Thanks.//Hank

P.S. Does your 560 still have the self leveling system installed, or are you riding on regular springs now?

Last edited by Hank Lewis; 01-16-2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Chi500
Hank, PM sent. Please let me know, thanks.
Chi500,
Sorry, didn't understand your message.
Thanks.//Hank
Old 01-16-2006, 05:25 PM

1987 300SDL aka the "Money Pit"
Well it really does depend where they got there springs from. A lot of shops use World Pac if so then you have aftermarket springs.

Replace with OE, or you can get custom ones made for about $70 each, OE are about $150ish each. Since they are custom you can spec anything you like.

Their are also rubber spacers above the springs, you can swap different thickness spacers in.

For a slight sag like 86560sel, 380SE. New bushings and maybe a new set of shocks will probably correct that.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:51 PM

500E's
Hank
Well, the tires should not be the trouble. Those are pretty smooth. I agree that the springs might be a problem. Either get OE or from Performance Products (or other known supplier). As for the shocks, Bilsteins Comforts were stock. Some shops like to put HD on the cars as they are larger. It makes the ride a bit harsher but better control. That tradeoff is up to the driver. I tend to like a bit more control but not at the expense of a very harsh ride so I make it up with tighter springs and better tires, leaving the shocks at comfort and it works.

Once you get your paperwork, post what you have and it might make sense and only one component will need changed. That would be good.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:44 PM

1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
420SEL Looks and Comfort

I have an 89 420SEL and at 35k miles I had the front suspension redone as well as changing the rear shocks. Mind you this was last spring, so the suspension was already 15 plus years old. The car rode well except when stopping, it was getting noisy and seemed to be diving in a stop.
After new OE shocks and all new bushings, the car drove as if new.
Time is a killer on the suspensions on these cars.
Warm climate areas, such as Florida, where this car came from, have a tendency to do funny things to the rubber bushings.
I think that OE is the way to go since it is hard to out engineer a group of engineers.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:45 PM

380 SEL 1982
my 380 sel is getting new front suspension right now

I am redoing the complete front suspension and rear shocks. All OEM parts except some of the links here and there. Bilstein comfort up front, Boge rear. I will post the results soon.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300SEL
Originally Posted by Hank Lewis
I purchasd my 1990 420SEL about 4 years ago and I love this big car. Valued then at about $15K, I got it for $8.5K -- good deal. Has another engine now, because my daughter drove it home one day with no coolant; replacement engine has about 140k miles. Runs great. Maintain it very well -- I'm a preventive maintenance kind of guy, from days as an avionics tech in the military. Loved the car until I had to replace the shocks. Installed Bilstines -- now it drives like a truck!! Never thought a luxury car could have such a hard ride. It rides sturdy and smooth as silk on the open highway, but around town with potholes, it sounds like and old ford pick up. The new shocks have been on the car for about a year -- 3 local Merc shops told me the Bilstines would ride smoother when worn in. Well I'm tired of waiting. Any recommendations for a set of shocks for smoother/softer ride. Are there American type shocks that will do this job? This car rode better than a Cadilliac when I purchased it - not a cushy ride, but it took bumps and potholes with quiet assurity.

Also, to me, my 420SEL also looks like it sags in the rear;(Guys in my Mercedes shop say it's perfect). I didn't heed warnings from the forum either; replaced the rear springs. Like advised, it changed nothing. I've seen 300s that have a higher rear profile than the 420 (wheel well clearance 2-3 inches above the tire as opposed to the 420 with 0-1 inch). I think I would like the car better and it would have of a more modern look if it had a higher rear profile. Is there a preferred way to do this -- insert spring pads that provide greater height, or lower the front, or both?
KYB shocks ride softer than bilsteins; i would recommend those if you are not looking for the more controlled ride of the german shock. the bilstein is designed for autobahn use, obvisously, hence the firm ride. the KYBs are Japanese and are designed for american roads.

rear sag is usually not the spring. its the bushings and the subframe mounts. replace those and your rear susp. will return to factory specs.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Hank , I am in the market for a 1990 420SEL or a 300SEL.What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your car? Thanx , Dave.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 177 Likes on 128 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
There is a beautiful 1991 420SEL for sale outside of Chicago in Joliet. Route 66 Motor Cars. Nice desert tan color. 41,500 miles original miles. I spotted it while driving by and it was clean enough to catch my attention from the road side. I emailed the place and they responded with a price of $13,000.00.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Banned

F248 F1
We discuss an issue similar to yours on benzworld...it seems like the w126 looks/sits a bit lower on the drivers side...our conclusion= its normal

maybe we are wrong!