S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Sunroof problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 420 SEL and 97 E320
Sunroof problem

Okay, something broke on my sunroof. It's the in the left (drivers) side. The right side is fine but the left side headline droops down and it won't pop down to open (slide back).
I removed the headliner and removed the nuts on the side panel of sunroof so that I could lift the sunroof a little. It looks like the or a piece of the slide might be broken, but I can't see it very well to make sure or to tell which piece it is.

Does anyone know anything about the sunroofs of our cars? Is there anywhere I can get a diagram or parts list?
I assume I can get used parts if I had a CLUE of what I need.

Alternatively, does anyone know how to remove the sunroof? when I removed the nuts on the sides and the 4 screws on the front I could lift the rear of the sunroof, but the front would not come loose.
Old 03-05-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 300SDL aka the "Money Pit"
You need to purchase a MB sevice CD or FSM. The MBUSA website sells the CD's.

It sounds like the slide is broken, I just replaced both of mine they run about $140 each.

The front of the metal panal is held in by tabs on either side. Lift the rear out and slide it back, you will see notches in the stainless track. The tabs come out through those notches.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 420 SEL and 97 E320
Originally Posted by Hattaresguy
You need to purchase a MB sevice CD or FSM. The MBUSA website sells the CD's.

It sounds like the slide is broken, I just replaced both of mine they run about $140 each.

The front of the metal panal is held in by tabs on either side. Lift the rear out and slide it back, you will see notches in the stainless track. The tabs come out through those notches.
Thanks, I have a service CD which is how I got as far as I did, but I didn't see anything about the notch you're talking about.
Thanks for the help!