S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

how do you remove the PRDSL plate?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
380 SEL 1982
how do you remove the PRDSL plate?

Hi how do you change the plate that says PRDSL? Does the console need to be removed from the car or does the trim piece simply lift up?
Old 04-13-2006, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 300SDL aka the "Money Pit"
Its a bit of work, you need to remove the wood first:

Take the tray out of the ash tray and remove the two screws at the bottom, they are holding the ash tray in. When they are out pull the ash tray out. CAREFULL their are wires pluged into the back of it for the light and cigar lighter. Unplug them.

Now the bin in front of the ash tray should just slide forward and up, its just a friction fit.

Now you are ready to remove the wood. The wood slides forward then it will pop up. Don't force it plastic clips are holding it down, and you will break them. After you get it to pop you will need a long thing flat blade screw driver to pry the plugs off the backs of the various switch's. This part is a pita, just take your time and work the plugs they will come apart.

Now you are ready to remove the shifter, my memory is rusty because I havn't done this part in over a year.

4 bolts hold the shifter base down, but I think a couple are blocked by those large plastic ducts that run inside the console. I think they just pull forward and you can move them. But check it out before forcing anything.

The shifter is also connected to the trans shift rod, a clip holds it on and you will have to disconect this after the shifter is un bolted. Purchase a new clip before hand they rust and are only a few cents.

With the shifter out of the car just start taking it apart, no tricks their that I recall.

I recomend heading over to your local MB dealer and ordering all the bushings that are inside the shifter as well as a new rubber boot. This only costs like $20 and the shifter feels much, much better with new tight bushings. Best $20 I spent on the car. You probably should replace the light for the shifter while everything is apart, Autozone has the bulbs. If you want a new shift knob now is the time to swap the new one in.

Good luck, take your time. Remember everything is plastic and old so it doesn't like to be forced!!