S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

steering problems, pleas advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
steering problems, pleas advise

So, in january i was having some steering issues, the car would make horribly loud moaning/groaning noises when i would turn. eventually it got the point where turning became very stiff. SO i took it in for service, unfortunately it was a dealer. They told me my power steering hose was leaking and had to be places. Ofcourse i got charged a few hundred. anyways, everything has been find since then until last week.

The same moaning groaning noise started. Not as severe, and no stiffness in steering,.......yet.
So i took it back infor service, diagnosis now was that the power steeering pump has a leak.
cost for a new one and labor, about 1400bucks. Yeah right, thats not happening. A used one was like 400 or so, but regardless none were in stock and would have to be gotten from germany.

I need some advice as to what i can do. this car is my daily driver and im not sure what i should do.
what othr kind of problmes could be causing this and whatt could be the reasons, thanks
Old 06-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 380SE with High Compression 560 motor and LPG
You could keep topping up the steering fluid which can be done fairly easily. If the problem is caused only by a leak, as long as the steering fluid is kept topped up, there'd be no problem (unless the lack of fluid has caused damage).

I think steering boxs could be a weakness in W126s. I've owned two and both had to be resealed. My current W126 leaks a bit after hammering it along windy roads. Its was reconditioned and resealed again twice after that, but it still leaks and spinning the steering wheel at low RPM causes the power assistance to lag.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
i thnkk thats what i am going to do until i find a good mechanic with Mercs w126 knowledge in ft laudedale area.
can i just buy any PS fluid from pep boys?
which tank in the engine bay is for PS fluid?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 380SE with High Compression 560 motor and LPG
The picture is of a right hand drive 1980 500SE. All V8 models are in the same spot, though some later ones have a different style lid.

I expect yours is left hand drive, so it may be on the opposite side, I'm not sure.

I use Dextron 3 Auto Transmission fluid, which is what the owners manual specifys. Should be avaliable anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails steering problems, pleas advise-img_0368-h.jpg