S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Cold Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Jetta VR6, 1989 560SEC
Question Cold Engine Problems

Hello all!

New mercedes owner here, picked up a 1989 560SEC last week thats in great shape. I've been having one problem with it when its cold out, or maybe just my luck and the way the last weeks been playing out.

Anyhow, after I start the car, the engine is very weak like it has a big loss of power for about 2-3 minutes, by weak I mean when I accelerate of course. Yesterday morning was the first time it was left for more than 24 hours without being started, it was about 14c or 15c I believe. I slowly drove out of the parking lot as usual, about 30 seconds down the road I went to merge before anycars started to come, just as I did, the car did not seem to want to accelerate past midrange rpms 2700-3400 (I'm not certain, just going by sound), allmost like it was hesitating, but it wasn't acting like it was missing or like it was going to stall. I didn't push the car again until the oil pressure was around 1bar at idle, it seemed to be perfectly ok for the rest of the day. Again today it was 14c or 15c when I started it, same thing happend allthough I tested it before I was going to merge, and pulled over until it had warmed up.

I can't think of anything else to explain right out, thats pretty much the symptoms, I figured I had a little knowledge on engines, as I've worked on VW VR6's countless times and helped my father with converting his 2.4MFI Porsche engine over to a carb setup. guess what, as usual I was dead wrong, no idea on the basics of these engines. Anyhelp any of you could offer would be greatly appreciated though!!

Thanks guys!