S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Question about 1987 300 SDL Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about 1987 300 SDL Exhaust System

This questions concerns a fix that I made to the exhaust pipe under the engine.

There is a flexible stainless steel coorugated type pipe (wide about 5 or 6 inches in diameter that is clamped I think to the turbo on one side and to an exahust pipe about 3 inches in diameter going down to the muffler and tail pipe.

There was another flexible corrugated tube with a braided metal cover coating in that line down to the muffler exhaust system as it runs under the body of the car. That flexible tube (about 10 inches long) broke.

I cut it out, and because I could not find a replacement, replaced it with a similar part made out of straight tubing, clamped on to the cutoff ends. THe leak is gone the sound is gone.

Id this addition of an inflexible part going to cause any damage anywhere else.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEL
Originally Posted by peterk
This questions concerns a fix that I made to the exhaust pipe under the engine.

There is a flexible stainless steel coorugated type pipe (wide about 5 or 6 inches in diameter that is clamped I think to the turbo on one side and to an exahust pipe about 3 inches in diameter going down to the muffler and tail pipe.

There was another flexible corrugated tube with a braided metal cover coating in that line down to the muffler exhaust system as it runs under the body of the car. That flexible tube (about 10 inches long) broke.

I cut it out, and because I could not find a replacement, replaced it with a similar part made out of straight tubing, clamped on to the cutoff ends. THe leak is gone the sound is gone.

Id this addition of an inflexible part going to cause any damage anywhere else.
May cause a vibration down the road. When people cut out the flex pipes and have us straight pipe them we usually see them back in about 2-3 months needing it fixed at the same place if not further down the line. Its a good idea to source a flexable tube just in case the loss of flex causes it to seperate under load. Some people have been exceptions to the rule.

I dont do much in the ways of diesel so if you had a photo I may be able to suggest some aftermarket flex tubes that only run about $20 that can be spliced in to allow the flex.