S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

380SE Transmission? and intros.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 380SE Transmission? and intros.

Hello all!! I'm a first time poster but I've been reading this forum for a bit now (lots of great info!). I've recently inherited a somewhat abused/neglected 1985 380SE from my father. He kind of gave it to me out of the blue and despite the fact I've ALREADY got my hands full restoring a '71 Lincoln Mark III ---I was powerless to resist the draw of an old V8 'Benz'. I'm sure you all understand.
The car doesn't seem to have any real mechanical problems per se but I'm working the kinks out as I go (in large part - thanks to this forum). My question is this: Is it 'normal' for the transmission to take up to 3 full seconds to engage from PARK to DRIVE? To clarify, when I'm standing still with my foot on the brake and I place the shifter into any gear, it seems to take 2-3 seconds to engage that gear. The transmission itself doesn't seem to be problematic in any other way (it drove here from my Dad's house 60+ miles, without a problem). I'm getting ready to change the fluid & filter and I want to know if there's anything else I should look out for. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by DarkCyde
Hello all!! I'm a first time poster but I've been reading this forum for a bit now (lots of great info!). I've recently inherited a somewhat abused/neglected 1985 380SE from my father. He kind of gave it to me out of the blue and despite the fact I've ALREADY got my hands full restoring a '71 Lincoln Mark III ---I was powerless to resist the draw of an old V8 'Benz'. I'm sure you all understand.
The car doesn't seem to have any real mechanical problems per se but I'm working the kinks out as I go (in large part - thanks to this forum). My question is this: Is it 'normal' for the transmission to take up to 3 full seconds to engage from PARK to DRIVE? To clarify, when I'm standing still with my foot on the brake and I place the shifter into any gear, it seems to take 2-3 seconds to engage that gear. The transmission itself doesn't seem to be problematic in any other way (it drove here from my Dad's house 60+ miles, without a problem). I'm getting ready to change the fluid & filter and I want to know if there's anything else I should look out for. Thanks in advance!
What mileage is on this car?

I have a 1986 from new and the tranny behaved the same from day one. Keep your foot on the brake while shifting and wait. It takes about 2 seconds for the gear to engage, particularly first.

Change the transmission fluid, filter and use the best OEM stuff even if everythign is OK. Best insurance.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The odometer stopped working at 182k and that was before my dad got it -- so technically, I have no idea how many miles are on it. I planned on changing the fluid & filter before I put it on the road anyway but if you say yours did this from day one, I feel MUCH better about it. At least I know it's in the neighborhood of 'normal'. Thanks for the reply!!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
I have a 89 420SEL 89 and a couple of 126 coupes.
They all seem to have that delay.
Bruce
BENZITCH