S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

seemingly the best cars ever made

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking seemingly the best cars ever made

So, I have an '84 380se from California, finished in white over tan leather (not MB tex) , with chromed factory rims, and has never seen a day of snow or salted roads. I stored it for the winter. Any ideas of what to watch out for now that I'm going to start driving it for the summer?
BTW, it just cleared 187,500 miles, and you can still balance a quarter on the air cleaner when it's running....Double timing chain from the factory, and all the electrics work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if new cars can compete with the workmanship in these old Benzes....
Old 04-08-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdn380se
So, I have an '84 380se from California, finished in white over tan leather (not MB tex) , with chromed factory rims, and has never seen a day of snow or salted roads. I stored it for the winter. Any ideas of what to watch out for now that I'm going to start driving it for the summer?
BTW, it just cleared 187,500 miles, and you can still balance a quarter on the air cleaner when it's running....Double timing chain from the factory, and all the electrics work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if new cars can compete with the workmanship in these old Benzes....
They cannot produce the cars of the '70s and '80s if they wanted to. At least, not mass produce. Manufacturers are required to use heavily recycled materials and water based paint to build newer cars. Unfortunately, it could never happen. The closest anybody can come to the quality of the older Mercedes is the Maybach 57 or 62. That's it, and I'm not exaggerating.

What do you need to watch out for in the summer? Inattentive drivers in large SUV's in front, behind, and from both sides of your car at all times. Also, avoid parking lots of any kind (doesn't matter how far away you park). If your car is never driven in the winter, and waxed and polished every month or so, the mirror-gloss finish should outlast even you.

Also, make sure to inspect the undercarriage and the waxed coating on the frame rails for signs of damage. If it is damaged, you need to verify there is no rust, treat it if there is, and reseal. If there are rust holes, they can be welded and must be for structural integrity.

Last edited by DslBnz; 04-08-2007 at 10:38 PM.