S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

New.. non working 88 300SE. I need your help !!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 W126 White 300SE
New.. non working 88 300SE. I need your help !!

Hi 2 u ALL!!

I just purchased a W126 88 300SE in ok condition from an old man who had the car for three years. The reason why he sold the car to me was simple. "It quit running”. He towed the car to the nearest shop and gives him a diagnostics. They claimed that the fuel pump#1, fuel pump #2, fuel filter, o-ring gasket, and, fuel pump relay needs to be replaced. The shop gives him the estimation for the cost of parts and labor for $1,300!! So... The old man decided to just leave it alone. The car was sitting on his drive way for six month till I picked it up two days ago.

Before I made the purchase, I got it to start by spraying the engine starter fluid but it dies out 5 sec latter. Now I know that there is no ignition problem sine it fires up nicely.

I checked the fuel pump under neath the fuel tank and it looks to be in bad shape. As the shop claimed, I need two fuel pumps but I only found one large electrical fuel pump and one fuel filter. I did see a tiny electrical pump on top of the fuel filter. Is that tiny pump (fuel pump #2)??

Regards to the fuel pump relay, I looked at it... but it looks perfect to me. When I brought the car home two days ago, it was not plugged in. It was in the dummy slot not connecting to anywhere.... So I immedialy plugged in to the socket next to the big computer box ECU. Now the engine fires up with out the starting fluid but it still dies out in few sec. Looks like there is no problem with fuel pump relay. The shop estimated $160 for parts and $40 for labor. I asked my self... what labor?? lol any how... I think the shop tried to add cost for this poor old man.

I guess all I have to do is replace the fuel pumps and the filter. I plan to do it by my self but I need help. First, I don’t know how to remove it and install it with out missing it up. If there is a step by step instruction... it would make a world of different to me.

Also, if you know anywhere that I can purchase the parts in good prices Please let me know. Also there is few different types of pumps, so if you recommend anything, please let me know as well. The cheapest fuel pump that I found was around 80 bucks.

Well... Thank you very much for help and I will update as the project progress. lol Also I will post pics