S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

What to look out for when buying a 1990 560 SEL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look out for when buying a 1990 560 SEL?

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at a nice black 1990 560SEL this weekend and the price seems to be right but I'm wondering about what I should look out for when I check it out.

I've been driving VWs for a while (new and old) so maybe it's safe to assume to check the following:

waterpump, timing chains, cats, transmission, injection system, vacuum leaks, etc

Are there any specific things to that particular car that I need to know about?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Almost a Member!

1996 W124 E320 Coupé, 1990 W124 300E twin turbo, 1991 W126 300 SE, 1984 Ford Capri 2.8i
http://www.mb-w126-club.de/gb/index.html

Find the buying advice page in "The W126" section.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:22 PM

The buying article in the MB Coupes is an excellent article. Just remeber thought that it was written about 1999 so prices etc are a bit out of date. Generally speaking these cars are pretty bullet proof if the maintenance has been done. Two biggest weaknesses that I know of it leaking around the rear window and head gasket are known to fail. If you really like the car you are looking at - spread some newpapers around the trunk floor and spring $10 to put it through a car wash and open the trunk afterwards. The newspaper will indicate where the leak is. If there is a leak in the trunk it will likely be one of 3 areas - under the hinges, under the attenena or around the rear tail lights. Under the hinges mean a rear window leak -could be a big dollar repair if body work is also required as rust is not uncommon. Under the atenna likely means tightening or replacing the attenena gasket and leakage around the rear lights means replacing the gaskets around the rear lights.

The other thing to do is get a prepurchase inspection done - hopefully by somebody is familar with working on older Mercedes. Make sure they do a pressure test on the cooling system. This can help determine is the head gasket is failing or not. Changing the head gasket in these cars is pretty complicated as they have to take a lot of things out to get to them. I've heard $5K.

They are great cars though. I bought mine last fall and I love the car. The only complaints I have about the car is that they are bit cumbersome to drive in an urban situation due to their size and gas mileage is nothing to write home about.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:45 PM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Honestly in 14 years I never saw a headgasket fail on a M117 engine. The big problem was the timing chain, tensioner and rails. The chain would rattle on a cold start until there was oil pressure to fill the tensioner and remove the slack. The chain "slap" would break the plastic rail and pull it up into the driver side cam sprocket and cause the chain to jump time causing valves to meet pistons. This is VERY common on engines over 100K. These engines didn't have ratcheting tensioners to correct this problem. A new unstretched chain, fresh rails and tensioner would prevent the destruction. I would cringe every time I heard this noise when bringing a car into the shop.

Everything else that's wrong should be fairly visible. Good old "grandpa" cars. Drive nice and good power.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
Originally Posted by bicylindrico
Honestly in 14 years I never saw a headgasket fail on a M117 engine. The big problem was the timing chain, tensioner and rails. The chain would rattle on a cold start until there was oil pressure to fill the tensioner and remove the slack. The chain "slap" would break the plastic rail and pull it up into the driver side cam sprocket and cause the chain to jump time causing valves to meet pistons. This is VERY common on engines over 100K. These engines didn't have ratcheting tensioners to correct this problem. A new unstretched chain, fresh rails and tensioner would prevent the destruction. I would cringe every time I heard this noise when bringing a car into the shop.

Everything else that's wrong should be fairly visible. Good old "grandpa" cars. Drive nice and good power.
Agreed 100%. My 21 year old was sold in great condition, after replacement of the timing chain. It was a US$3,000 job, parts and labor.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:18 PM

2001 E320
Originally Posted by bicylindrico

What would be the average/typical cost to replace the timing chain, tensioner and rails?

Thank you!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A timing chain, guide, rails, tubes, etc done properly at a reasonable independent mechanic is about $900 give or take.

I have had a lot of W126 V8's, and I would differ with some posts here in that 30%+ have had seeping or leaking head gaskets. The M117 V8 HGs are notorious for going away, even when the car in general is well maintained. And like many things on a W126, the part prices are not too bad, the the labor to get at the part is very expensive.

Be sure to do get a pre-purchase inspection done at a reputable mechanic or dealer that knows this class of car well; compression check, HVAC (especially A/C), trans operation, and looks for leaks in PS box, HG's, and rear main. These are all common and expensive failings on these cars.

Good luck!

Bruce

Last edited by Becks Imports; 07-05-2007 at 04:10 PM.