S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

1991 300SE climate/ AC problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 300se 1991
Question 1991 300SE climate/ AC problems

Hi Everyone. Im having problems with my AC on my 91 mercedes 300se. It stopped cooling late this summer. I checked the freon(R-134) and it said it was a little low. I added some, and then used the vehicle a couple weeks. Cooling stopped again. I checked it, and found that the pressure was then too high. I pulled some freon out to an adequate level indicated by guage. At that point my compressor clutch would kick it, but I wasnt getting any cooling. So I bought a new compressor off E bay. It was a Unicla brand, and has a module to take the place of the speed sensor, and some other sensor on the original compressor. After installation I vacuumed system and added freon. Since then I cant get the compressor clutch to stay pulled in. I have checked the low pressure switch mounted on the drier, and it stays closed, indicating a good charge. Even when I send 12v right to the clutch lead(energizing clutch) the pressure switch stays closed. I cant find a high pressure switch on the car , so I pulled som freon out, and put just enough in to make low pressure switch close with the clutch engaged. I feel like the charge is OK. The guy on Ebay sent me another module to try, and that still didnt work. I was told that after turning on the AC with car running, I should receive a voltage (12V) on the clutch lead for 3-4 secs. I only receive it for 1 second. The clutch engages and releases. Is the caused by the climate control? Can anyone offer me more info on this problem? Thanks for reading.