S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

I just bought a '91 420 SEL! Any tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL
I just bought a '91 420 SEL! Any tips?

Well, I turned 30 this year and decided it was about time I learned to drive. Crazy, I know. But moving right along, I found this 420 for a really great price in killer condition and couldn't turn it down as my first car.

So here I am - I'd meant to buy something less keepable for my first car... I don't want to kill the poor thing - it would be a crime with something this beautiful! Please tell me what I *need* to know about my baby!

I've already been warned that under no circumstances should I let her overheat and that towing can only be done with a flatbed. Any more tips for a new driver and owner of a gorgeous luxury car?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-01-2007, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great choice, if you care for your car, it will care for you VERY well.

1. Only use Mercedes-Benz original coolant, anything else in there will damage the car. Change every 18 months.

2. Only use good oil (and if you are using teh following oils, you can change every 5k miles), depending on where you live, Mobil 1 0w-40 for cold climates, and M1 15w-50 for warm climates (Southern California, for example).

3. Change the transmission fluid every 25-30k miles, remember the torque converter and pan both must be drained, then the pan dropped and filter and gasket changed.

4. Change the differential fluid, since it has probably never been done before. 75w-90 synthetic.

5. Follow service procedures very carefully, a dealer (or extremely good indipendant) will make sure you do.

6. Read owners manual and service guide. That will cover a lot of other things, and you can always ask more here. Fuel/air filters, spark plugs, etc.

7. Only premium gas.

8. Timing chains should usually be changed at 100k miles. If your car has more than that, it's probably time.

9. Do not let jiffy lube or any place like that touch your car. Also, avoid bad mechanics. Sub-standard service is the only thing that can kill that car besides a semi-truck.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It changes all the time
I'll go along with the previous with a couple of added comments. You didn't say where you live. Nobody ever does, so you need to find out what is the suggested oil viscosity where you live. I wouldn't waste money on synthetics. Good old regular oil works fine. I've got MILLIONS of miles on regular oil without a problem, although I didn't personally drive all the miles.

Replacing the chain and upper rails or having the chain checked by a competent MB mechanic is the most important item on his list. If you don't follow this advice, your beautiful 420 can turn into scrap metal in less than a second. Good luck, and enjoy that 420. It is one of the best models MB ever produced, and since it is a 91, you even get a leather wrapped steering wheel just like the big boy 560.