S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

87 SDL Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 SDL; 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC, 8.1L, Allison special order; 1970 GTO LS2, 4L60E, under construction
87 SDL Maintenance

OK guys, so I made a deal today to buy a 87' SDL. Car is pretty nice, 220,000 miles, ex-Florida car with a couple of rust bubbles. The front bumper is rusted through.

The engine had no signs of blowby, even after I had driven it and the trans fluid looked/smelled nice and clean. I am the fourth owner, with the third able to provide reciepts of the work he had done only. The second owner drove the car between Ct. and Florida and had it for "at least" 10 years. The current owner had papers for $1700 for a new front suspension, shocks, etc. New tires all around as well.

He had no knowledge of any timing chain replacement, or any other maintenance done to the motor or trans other than fluid and filter changes to both. Trans oil and filter done about 10K ago, motor oil and filter every 3K. Everything ran strong/well and there was no signs of leaks, etc.

So, I'm not the kind of guy who waits around for stuff to break and I figure the timing chain and tensioner assembly should probably be done just in case. What does the peanut gallery think of that plan? Additionally, what else should be done to ensure this thing gets my wife and I through a couple more years of no worries, including trips to Florida to visit my family.

I am an Amsoil dealer and will be replacing the motor, trans, power steering and rear diff fluids/filters shortly. I plan on flushing the trans on one of those machines. Is that OK for a benz trans?

Thanks all!
Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just copying the PM here for the crowd to see:

There is no reason to hook your car up to a trans fush machine. These cars have two transmission drain plugs, one on the pan (which then comes off to replace the filter and gasket), and one on the torque converter. This drains over 95% of the oil, and is the reccomended method.

Also, I do not see an amsoil product that can be used as a PS fluid (do not forget the filter), and from what I remember, for MB it is a special fluid sold through the dealer.

You can check the timing chain stretch but that would require removal of the valve cover, at which time you should replace the injectors (since it becomes much easier). You can buy rebuilt injectors from a number of places, like getcoolparts.com or performanceproducts4benz.com, or anywhere you can find (from a quick check, the getcoolparts is much less expensive). Every place I have seen requires the cores back. With the timing chain, it does not matter where you buy it but it must be OEM.

Also be sure the carefully check&adjust the tensioners and guide rails when changing the chain. Do not forget the coolant (OEM or Zerex G-05 only) and brake fluid.

I would imagine that this car will last much longer than just a few more years, it may be a million-miler.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 PM

1987 SDL; 2001 Chevy 2500HD CC, 8.1L, Allison special order; 1970 GTO LS2, 4L60E, under construction
So I just got back from picking the car up. I'm in love!

The previous owner gave me two nice front seats (out of a donor car), a spare mid pipe from the turbo back, tail lights, another injection pump, plus god knows what else. I'll have to go through it all tomorrow. 6 wheels also came with it, two with snow tires.

The car runs and drives very nicely. It does have a few issues that I'll deal with once I get it on the road.

The first thing I want to do is have the timing chain checked and the trans adjusted so it shifts normally again, Right now from a dead stop it shifts hard. The previous owners' mechanic set it up like that intentionally, but it's too hard for me and in the winter it will surely start the wheels spinning.

So, I'm thinking I should have that done before I change the oil in the motor and trans? After that, I have the PS system ready to be changed, the the rear end as well. Does it matter if I change the motor oil before the chain is done?

My wife and I will be bringing the car to Florida at the end of December to visit my parents, so I'm hoping to have at least all that done by then. Possibly the glow plugs and injectors as well.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would change the chain before or at the same time as the motor oil so that you do not contaminate the oil when changing the chain.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Kinda what I figured. There is supposedly a really good old MB mechanic down the road from where I work. I'll be seeing him this week to get some prices and an appointment!