S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Heater doesn't work properly at cruising speed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 300sd
Heater doesn't work properly at cruising speed!

High guys! I'm a newbie with this being my first post. I just bought a very clean 1981 300SD, (0-60 16sec, Slight upphill 0-60 - 21.18sec). Ok, the question - What could be the problem with my heater! After it is warmed up I get in and it is hot! However, when I get up to cruising speed cold air is getting in somehow or the heat just doesn't come out. The defrost is on for sure but not Hot - just warm. I checked the anti-freeze level and it is on par (I added maybe 12oz's max). Also there is a little vent just below the arm rest that blows outside temp air while cruising and wont shut off. Can anybody help me? Oklahoma is about to get cold. jmag
Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Watch your

coolant temp if it is in the normal range at rest or slow speed and drops cooler at speed you could have a thermostat stuck in the open position.
easy to replace. Part at www.autohausaz.com cheap.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by jmag
High guys! I'm a newbie with this being my first post. I just bought a very clean 1981 300SD, (0-60 16sec, Slight upphill 0-60 - 21.18sec). Ok, the question - What could be the problem with my heater! After it is warmed up I get in and it is hot! However, when I get up to cruising speed cold air is getting in somehow or the heat just doesn't come out. The defrost is on for sure but not Hot - just warm. I checked the anti-freeze level and it is on par (I added maybe 12oz's max). Also there is a little vent just below the arm rest that blows outside temp air while cruising and wont shut off. Can anybody help me? Oklahoma is about to get cold. jmag
Your problem with the heater might be the mono valve located on the right side of the fire wall under the hood.Its a known problem and very easy to replace.First remove the four screws holding the valve in place,pull on the valve and see if the rubber ring is torn if it is then replace it.I have added a picture of the valve.
In regards to the rear vent,its normal to have air come out unfortunately is does not shut off.They are all like this.
Keep us posted.
Attached Thumbnails Heater doesn't work properly at cruising speed!-mono-valve-replacement-002.jpg  
Old 10-30-2010, 03:45 PM

1981 300sd
Wow! Thanks for the responses. I'll be doing both the Thermostat and Mono valve ASAP! Great to have a forum like this with knowledeable people that will share. A first time diesel user needs this type of connection. Thanks again, jmag
Old 11-02-2010, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It changes all the time
Originally Posted by jmag
Wow! Thanks for the responses. I'll be doing both the Thermostat and Mono valve ASAP! Great to have a forum like this with knowledeable people that will share. A first time diesel user needs this type of connection. Thanks again, jmag
A torn diaphragm will cause that symptom. Also you may experience the heater gowing full hot sometimes regardless of temp wheel. If this happens, remove the electrical connectors from their holder at the mono valve and squeaze them down. All MB heater systems since 1972 have been designed to fail in the full heat position in the interest of passenger safety. To shut the mono valve off it needs 12V. These contacts get tired over time and lose connection.