S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Sun Roof Leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300se
Cool Sun Roof Leak

I have a 1989 300se that has a Sunroof leaking. I have ordered and installed a new seal for it thinking that it would take care of my problem. But it rained a few days later and I continued to have the same problem with the roof leaking. I'm kind of sure I installed it correctly, but thinking the only thing I didn't think of while installing it was to use some type of RTV sealer on the groves before pressing the seal in place. I was wondering if someone could maybe help enlighten me on the Sunroof Seal install and let me know if I missed a step or two fixing the leak.

Thanks in Advance,

Tk
Old 08-30-2011, 11:22 PM

Did you clean the two drains at the front of the sunroof.
When the roof is open have a look at each front corners and you will see a circular drain on both sides.
Use a small plumbers fish and go as far down as you can and do this to both sides.
They usually clog at the bottom near the wheel on either sides.

Keep me posted Ill try and make this work for you.

Cheers
Big Dan
Old 10-06-2011, 03:24 AM

89 300se
Thanks Big Dan, I have cleaned the drains on both sides as you directed and it seems to work alot better. I still get a little water that gets trapped up there but I think I figured out another part of the problem. My car seems to sit real low in the back which tells me that the rear shocks are bad or the rear coil springs are bad or that both the shocks and coil springs are bad. The main reason I think this part of the problem is that I parked the car at the end of my driveway, which is slopped, and when it rained I had no water that stayed, but a day or two later I parked at the top of the driveway, which is level, I had water that got trapped to the bad of the roof liner. I have not replaced any of the rear suspension parts yet but I'm thinking that I may have to as part of the fix for this leaking problem. What do you think Big Dan, am I on the right path with this? Oh and don't worry, I have not nor ever plan to take up skydiving, very good advice.

Thanks,
Tk
Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Benzguy604
Did you clean the two drains at the front of the sunroof.
When the roof is open have a look at each front corners and you will see a circular drain on both sides.
Use a small plumbers fish and go as far down as you can and do this to both sides.
They usually clog at the bottom near the wheel on either sides.

Keep me posted Ill try and make this work for you.

Cheers
Big Dan
I recommend an air compressor !
Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by tktrey
Thanks Big Dan, I have cleaned the drains on both sides as you directed and it seems to work alot better. I still get a little water that gets trapped up there but I think I figured out another part of the problem. My car seems to sit real low in the back which tells me that the rear shocks are bad or the rear coil springs are bad or that both the shocks and coil springs are bad. The main reason I think this part of the problem is that I parked the car at the end of my driveway, which is slopped, and when it rained I had no water that stayed, but a day or two later I parked at the top of the driveway, which is level, I had water that got trapped to the bad of the roof liner. I have not replaced any of the rear suspension parts yet but I'm thinking that I may have to as part of the fix for this leaking problem. What do you think Big Dan, am I on the right path with this? Oh and don't worry, I have not nor ever plan to take up skydiving, very good advice.

Thanks,
Tk
TK Have a look at the rear of your sunroof once its open to make sure there isn't any drain holes there too!
Some 126
's have rear drains and others don't..
Keep me posted
Cheers
Big Dan