S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Newbie with a 500 SEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'82 500 SEL
Newbie with a 500 SEL

Right, just a few things.

Hello Merc people, by the way.

I recently (yesterday) bought a 1982 500 SEL.

172000 miles, in need of a fair bit of bodywork, mechanically strong as an ox. It was cheap, and as I've always fancied an S class I just went for it. I can do the bodywork (properly) myself, that's no problem, and the mechanical side shouldn't present too many traumas. All the body repair panels were included in the astoundingly low price anyway. £350..

Problem areas at the moment are as follows;

I can't get in the boot, the previous keeper didn't have a master key and the central locking has packed in through inactivity. The new key has been ordered from M-B and should be here within the week but as anyone who's ever worked on a "project" car knows, if I don't start work on it soon it'll never get started.

How do I get into the boot? I need to put fuel in it, and can't get into the boot to release the fuel flap. Should I just wait for the key or is there an easy way?

Gearbox is a bit slippy on the 2nd-3rd upchange, according to the previous keeper it's been like that for ages and it can be driven around, but if it's just band adjustment I'd rather do it.

Is it possible to get replacement cloth seat covers anywhere? If so, how extortionate are the prices?

Thanks folks. I'll do my best to report back soon as the work progresses.

Oh, and should I paint it black? It's silver at the moment, but as it'll need a full respray then I'm kinda tempted to change the colour.. Opinions welcome.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Jer

1994 E320
Congrats on your new MB!

Personally I would leave it silver. The main consideration is having continuity between the exterior and inside the engine compartment. This way you will not see a sudden change in color when looking between the engine comp. and the fenders, etc. Also, black absorbs heat which will cook the car in the summer! Ouch!
Old 01-22-2004, 12:40 PM

'82 500 SEL
Took the car for an MOT test today to see how knackered it is.

Failed on two small areas of corrosion on chassis, two small brake pipes from ABS unit to front brakes (steel ones, not the flexible jobs), exhaust back box and a leaky shock absorber on the back.

Will cost £150 to fix the lot, two new rear shocks, two pipes, back box and labour. I'm a bit happy!

Still can't get the central locking to work though, fuse is ok because the hazards work, no sign of life from the pump.

Still undecided as to whether to paint it black though. It's Nova Grey at the moment and it's growing on me.

Oh, one more question, is the speedo electronic on this or is it just ye olde cable?

Ta muchly.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Speedo is ellectric
If need be you can access the central locking system in the passenger compartment, Intercept a line and pressurize it, if the failure is only the pump and not a seal it will unlock.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:58 PM

'82 500 SEL
well, the key for the boot (trunk) arrived last Friday, I can now get into the boot. No sign of life at all from the Central Locking pump. I think I'm going to have to go on a huge wiring mission.

Also, if the speedo is electric, what normally goes wrong with them? Mine has no signs of life at all. Sender on the gearbox fails? Connections? Speedo head itself?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:35 PM
Almost a Member!

1989 420SEL
New thread

www.geocities.com/w126s