S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

560sec non runner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w126 300se@m104 2.8
560sec non runner

Hi everyone

Here is my current puzzle - last week I got myself 560sec to restore. Its a non runner with Ke-jetronic distributor removed from engine ( was still with the car, but in the boot). Explanation to my questions why was very fuzzy and I quickly realized I will need to investigate myself. Quickly saw sticky plunger. Cleaned it up, and refitted the fuel distributor. It pumps fuel to all cylinders at a same rate, so would guess its ok. Still wouldn't start and spark plugs would be in fuel. Checked spark seperately - a bit weak but there. Apparently someone fitted BERU 14-8DU which does not cross reference to whatever that was an option for the merc. Got some NGK BP6ESZ, but still will not start. Appears to have enough fuel and spark even though weak should still be more than adequate to start. Oh in the meantime got a full known to be working KE jetronic fuel distributor with one different digit at the back of the code from SL560... Still will not start. Fuel pumps and fuel accumulator are new-ish. Checked briefly pressure to cold start injector - over 6 bars.

I did notice something. please check video regarding dizzy. I have a bit limited experience with dizzy caps, but I didn't expect to see that much free movement....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbe64xjtnm...53912.mp4?dl=0

Any ideas guys?
Old 12-29-2017, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I decided to mess with my w126 420SEL fuel distributor back in the day I thought I could fix the idle a bit.
The car did not start anymore. I tried many times.
Then bought a known to be good proper part number distributor.
At first did not start and somehow the cranking was slow. There was some slightly unusual fuel smell under the hood which I attributed to my messing with fuel lines into the distributor.

For some reason, I decided to pull the engine oil dipstick. I couldn't believe it but I was way over full. So, cranking a messed up fuel distributor caused the jetronic system to dump so much fuel that 5 quarts of fuel filled my already normal complement of 9 quarts of oil to the top of the oil pan.
So once I emptied the pan and added fresh oil and tried again with the good distributor, the car started right up.