S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Windows don't roll up or down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows don't roll up or down

I just got another W126 which I'm very pleased about. This one has an issue with the windows. There is power going to the window switch and the motor works fine, but when you press the switch nothing happens. This is the case with 3 out of the four door windows. Anyone ever had this happen. Could it be a relay or something. I checked the fuses and they are fine.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:20 AM

Anyone?
Old 07-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Jer

1994 E320
There is not much to the window electrics. The motor might be burned out. I don't think it is the regulator, because from what you are saying, the motor does not even budge or make sound.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:16 PM

1985 380SE
I'm not sure I understand your problem. How do you know "the motor works fine" (motors? 3 out of 4 don't work?) if the windows don't move? Which window does work? There are 2 little buttons on the consol switches that cut power to the rears, as a safety thing. Are they in or out?
Old 07-06-2004, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by donbryce
I'm not sure I understand your problem. How do you know "the motor works fine" (motors? 3 out of 4 don't work?) if the windows don't move? Which window does work? There are 2 little buttons on the consol switches that cut power to the rears, as a safety thing. Are they in or out?
The way I know the motor works is I took the motor out of the door and hooked it up to power and it worked fine. I tested the switch to see if it is recieving power which was fine and I checked the fuse under the hood and that was fine. For some reason when I press either the console switch in front or back the motor is not recieving the power (I am reffering to the rear left side). The driver side, passsenger and rear left are all not working. Only the rear right is working. I tried the safety switches and that wasn't it either.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:22 PM

Here she is!!

I really haven't been able to figure this out. Does anyone know what's going on with these windows.

First day home. Looks like crap cause she hasn't been cleaned in almost a year. Bought her from the police impound.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Jer

1994 E320
Maybe the wires under the seats/carpet or in the door are damaged.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:40 PM

I'll try to test the wires there also. I tested the wires that go into the switch and I get power there.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:17 AM

W126 500SEC and 560SEL
Hi

If the car has been stood a while, water may have leaked into the door rusting the the strip of metal that 'grips' the window.

Carefully remove the door trim and inspect the mechanism.

The window on my 500SEC is held in three places - two adjustable 'grips' (for want of a better word) which slid up and down, then the window winder mechansim itself.

There is a metal sleeve with a rubber strip which bolts to the top of the scissor action of the window winder mech. This rusts and doesnt push / pull the window upand down.

repair/ replace/ service this area on each door (most likely just needs regreasing) and you windows should wind once more.

I hope I've explained things well enough!
Old 07-10-2004, 01:27 AM

Actually I can get the window to function properly with an outside source for power. What I do is spice into the wires to the motor and give it power. When I do this the window functions properly. I think I have maybe boiled it down to the window switches themselves. The only window switch that works is the rear passenger window from the driver's seat. If you press it from the rear it won't work. I might just try to replace some switches and see what happens.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:20 AM

Thanks for the help those that gave me feedback. You all where correct in some way or another. I managed to get the rears working perfectly now. THe fronts need motors. I'm gonna get them and hopefully put them in next weekend. can't wait to drive the baby around!!
Old 08-25-2004, 10:33 PM

Thumbs up RE window switches

You are correct to figure out it is the switches. I know you think," 3 of 4 switches bad?" but yes it happens. If the wires bring power to the switch and the wires from the switch don't have power, it's the switch. Especially since you tested the motors with another power source and they worked. I have not tried it on an MB but I have taken switches apart on other makes and cleaned the contacts and regained use of the switches. Try one and see what happens. Good luck.