S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

New to forum and MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to forum and MB

I recently got rid of my 1998 audi a4 50k miles (to my father to alleviate the pain of a monthly payment). I found a 1987 mercedes 300sdl in pretty good condition. One problem the car is no longer a diesiel and has been converted to gas. The engine is still a MB however I do not have the knowledge to find out what motor it was replaced with. The people the car was purchased from didnt have a clue either.

The car runs great( however it is a gas hog, maybe 16-18mpg) the transmission is working great aswell. As far as electronics in the car everything works great minus the cruise control, sunroof (dosent open all the way), and tempature display on the gauge cluster(i think the whole temp unit needs replaced). Im going to need to purchase a service manual for a 300sdl and a service manual for the engine when I determine the engine.

Well thats my introduction hopefully I will be able to pull some information out of the forums to help me get the car running and operating perfectly.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:09 PM
Jer

1994 E320
The engine code should be stamped on the block. It is 6 digits, xxx.yyy. Also look at components like the intake manifold. Usually the first three digits (103, etc.) will indicate the engine family.
Old 07-13-2004, 04:12 PM

1999 Mercedes ML430
Welcome, and you do not have a gas hog. 99ML430, now that's a gas hog.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:13 AM

Thx for the replies, I got to work on it yesterday and fixed all my external lights issues. I got the sunroof working perfectly now... no more getting stuck. Currently on the list of to do's are

1.) Engine shock- the motor in the car has a shake to it and I noticed that their was only one shock on the right side of the car. Their is a place in the left of the motor compartment that looks setup for a short shock to attach to. I should have manuals soon for the car so Ill be able to determine for sure if thats correct.

2.) The outside temp guage is not working and needs replaced

3.) The passenger mirror is not working, unsure where the problem lies.. hope its not the mirror unit itsself.

4.) Cruise control will just randomly shutoff, no ideal where to start on this one. Will try soldering contacts on the acuator(sp?)

5.) Needs the interior restored some rips on the leather seats and also needs some vinyl reapired. Hopefully it wont be a arm and a leg for it. Also the carpet needs replaced and the headliner cleaned. A few wood peices need replaced, mainly the the center piece where the windows are controled.

6.)Exterior- the car will be going to the body shop in a week will need lots of little dings removed some surface rust fixed and a new black paint job. Does anyone know where to find the grey trim pieces for the car. The drive side trim piece is damaged and needs replaced.

The car also needs the tail pipes polished but thats minor. The cars rear end seems to set high, is this normal because the front end is at a perfect height for me I would like to see the rear com down some though.