S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

I just bought my first w126, this is all that is bad with it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB W126 1987 and Land Cuiser BJ70
I just bought my first w126, this is all that is bad with it

Hi!
My name is Luis, I'm from Costa Rica and I just got my first MB w126. I was on a bucket list for years until I saved enough to buy one that I think is in fair to good condition, but still, it has its issues.
It's a w126 from 1987, with a 103 engine but it has a weird set of extras and missing some others. anyway here is what's wrong, perhaps you can guide me to where to find the parts or how to troubleshoot.

1. When it idles, it seems like it skips a beat or it has a little up and down. From the vendor, the fuel pump has been changed. This is only happening when idle, when driving its butter smooth and perfect.
2. Rotten exhaust - This will be addressed from my local shop, but does it has anything to do with #1?
3. Weirdly for me, the steering wheel only has 1 lever, it does not come with cruise control and that single lever seems to drive the high beam, turning signals, and windshield wipers, but I can seem to find a way to make the wiper work or even the wiper washer, in the RTV (its like a TUV in my country) it has failed 3 years with the same issue (it seems it has been driving much recently)
4. The front light dome isn't working, my car doesn't come with a sunroof, but it seems it still uses the same plastic part, I notice that that specific roof cover is kinda soggy. Is there a specific dome light for w126 with no sunroof? (I searched but eBay only has similar to the one I have)
5. broken rear speakers covers
6. Door central locking is not working, Dealer said he has a new one in the trunk but is there any troubleshooting?
7. Doors seem to need more force than usual to be closed completely.
8. Front bumper tow point cover is missing.
9. Paint chips and paint fading, can the fading be polished? I really don't want to paint over the original MB paint, I believe it adds a plus if everything is stock, but could I buy a paint correction for the small chip and buff the fading/peel?
10. Distribution gasket is liking, the timing belt has not been changed. So I guess this might be the worst part ($$) from everything else.

I'm sorry if its too much, it's just my first day that I will start working on it, and I don't know where to start, I would really appreciate if you could give me any advice and point me to a well-trusted store in the US or EU for me to start buying parts and get my dream car fixed.

Thank you all for your help,
Cheers from CR.

Photo of my 2 cars, w126(1987) and BJ70(1990)

It almost doesnt fit!
The following users liked this post:
marsandi (04-03-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB W126 1987 and Land Cuiser BJ70
Fixed the wipers by changing the fuse and found what's wrong with the washer, someone put a screw in the pump, waiting for parts. I'm using pelican parts, although it doesn't have my exact vehicle in the listing. If someone has a recommendation for a better parts supplier.

I found a major issue that doesn't let me drive the car, not sure what it is. When I "Gas" the car, or push the pedal too far to do a quick exit or request more power, the car feels like it's either with not enough fuel or actually flooded cylinders. Any ideas?
Old 01-11-2022, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 514 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
some online MB Parts:

Genuine and OEM Replacement Car Parts Online | BMW Volvo Audi VW Mercedes Porsche Saab | FCP Euro
Largest Car Part Warehouse | Replacement Auto Parts Online | AutohausAZ | autohausaz.com

Some dealer selling parts:

Mercedes-Benz Parts - Genuine OEM | MBOEMParts.com | MB OEM Parts

The following 2 users liked this post by ygmn:
Alfamud (01-13-2022), kendellgreene (04-04-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 05:26 PM

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts
S550
Awesome W126! Sadly I don't think many people are active here on this W126 forum site... Perhaps you can try "BenzWorld" as they focus more on the classics. As for your rough idle, I recommend first buying fuel system cleaner. (Seafoam is a good brand). It could also be bad injectors or a vacuum leak. I don't think the rusted exhaust has anything to do with the rough idle. (Rusted exhausts are very common on 126's). As for the central locking system, it's most likely a vacuum leak somewhere in the system. Try using your key on the trunk lock and see if anything happens. (On our 420SEL, the driver door doesn't unlock the car but the trunk lock does). Another common issue is the doors not shutting properly. Try lubricating the door lock (attached to the pillar) first. There are a few screws in which you can adjust the position of it. Lastly, for the paint fading, it really depends. Sometimes you can buff it out but usually, it needs a new clear coat.
I hope this helps! Best of luck with your 126!
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean._.S:
Alfamud (01-17-2022), kendellgreene (04-04-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 03:09 AM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Compact garages

Interesting how short garages have become. Even small cars have difficulty fitting in. Soon only bicycles will be able to be garaged.
The following users liked this post:
kendellgreene (04-04-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW M3
Anyway, it's a good experience.