S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

W126 500 SEL - Engine cutting out - Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190E, 500SEL
W126 500 SEL - Engine cutting out - Help!

Hi All,

I have an '85 500 SEL (Gen 1) which I've been working on for a while. Recently, after a fair bit of work to solve vacuum leak/high idle I was on the way to the MOT but quickly put the car back on the drive as I forgot something and haven't been able to start it since.

The car struggled to start and if it did run, would idle roughly and then die. Suspecting a fuel issue, I jumped both the fuel pump and the relay to no avail. Both the fuel pump and filter are very new.

Today, I noticed a small leak around the fuel pump so replaced some worn fuel line and a washer - leak fixed. The car will now start after a few tries and after a shaky start start will idle ok. However, as it now runs for a bit longer, I've been able to observe a new symptom - the engine dies as soon as I touch the accelerator.

Does anyone have idea what this might suggest and the next troubleshooting steps?
Old 09-18-2022, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 512 Likes on 381 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by Straight6
Hi All,

I have an '85 500 SEL (Gen 1) which I've been working on for a while. Recently, after a fair bit of work to solve vacuum leak/high idle I was on the way to the MOT but quickly put the car back on the drive as I forgot something and haven't been able to start it since.

The car struggled to start and if it did run, would idle roughly and then die. Suspecting a fuel issue, I jumped both the fuel pump and the relay to no avail. Both the fuel pump and filter are very new.

Today, I noticed a small leak around the fuel pump so replaced some worn fuel line and a washer - leak fixed. The car will now start after a few tries and after a shaky start start will idle ok. However, as it now runs for a bit longer, I've been able to observe a new symptom - the engine dies as soon as I touch the accelerator.

Does anyone have idea what this might suggest and the next troubleshooting steps?
She has K-Jet for injection? You describe a false air leak. This the most common issue with K-Jet equipped cars.

Start with testing for a false air leak with smoke. Don’t have access to a smoke machine? Look long and hard at all the rubber guys that handle vacuum, feed the idle air bypass valve ect. Usually one or more of them are cracked + leaky injector seals.

Start there.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:22 PM

190E, 500SEL
Yes it's K-Jet.

It's not a vacuum leak - it did used to have one but that was all repaired recently with a smoke test and replacing all the cracked hoses. The symptoms for that are different anyway, you can usually keep the car running if you keep on the gas pedal. Experienced the same thing with a 190E previously.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:47 AM

190E, 500SEL
Does anyone know much about the ignition module (EZL)? I just followed a test from the workshop manual where you are supposed to be able to see battery voltage reading from one of the pins to ground - mine shows zero.

The manual says that means it's faulty and needs replaced but before chucking money at it, i wonder if there's any other electrical issue that could also cause that result.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electrical gremlins

As you do the diagnostics It would be a good idea to clean the connector pins for the idle switch at accelerator linkage , air flow pins and idle control valve pins. Old fuse box fuses do cause odd issues if all the fuses have not been replaced .
Old 09-28-2022, 11:06 AM

190E, 500SEL
I've made some progress. Before sorting out the idle issue previously, I had to drain the tank as the car had been sitting for a long time. By doing so, I may have inadvertently clogged the fuel filter. I had dismissed this initially as the filter was so new and didn't think it could clog so easily.

Anyway... changed the filter today and the car now fires up and doesn't die when I touch the gas. However, it revs horribly; hard to explain but it judders a couple of times before actually doing its job. It's still a big improvement so now I want to look at the fuel tank screen but that requires the tank to be drained....

Any ideas how to tackle this without clogging the filter again?
Old 09-29-2022, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 692 Likes on 514 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
sure none of this crappy fuel got to injectors etc?
Old 09-29-2022, 06:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a very fine mesh filter at the distributer inlet connection. Occasionally we forget that this critical filter requires a checking up.as well when doing a major service .
Old 09-29-2022, 06:46 AM

190E, 500SEL
Yeh checked that already. Think i will just have to drain again but remove the tank and clean it out before replacing the strainer this time.