S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

recommended W126 for cost effective daily?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
potential buyer
recommended W126 for cost effective daily?

I know these vehicles are bullet proof and still surprised the low cost of the mid 80's years but concerned about cost of potential repairs, parts availability / cost & difficulty to work. I am a hobby mechanic and looking for something efficient, economical, fun to work and cool factor or fun to drive ($7500 or less). Let me know yalls thoughts and potential years to avoid and what to look for when purchasing. I am also considering W123's, Volvo 240's, Geo's, Saturn's and other random oddball budget bangers. Added benefit is potential of mixing mineral oil into fuel (I have an endless supply of T oil). Thanks in advance!
Old 07-27-2023, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 512 Likes on 381 Posts
222 S-65
Most cost effective daily.

Toyota Camry. New enough to not have a timing belt. Four cylinders or six. Both are great.... but not interesting.

126 constantly in need of door lock actuators... window switches, window motors, window regulators. Power aerial motors fail annually. Expect the sunroof to not move without regular attention. It is just lubrication but needs to get done more then annually. A/C that worked intermittently in the ‘90s when I saw them daily that I’m just certain have aged well. How about idler arm bushings that need to get replaced annually. Steering via caps and ***** that while reliable made for many parts that wear early and often. K-Jet for injection that was prone to vacuum leaks, injectors and fuel distributors that liked to fail often 25 years ago. Ignition pick up coils and wiring that failed often. There is also the issue of insulation for wiring that would just turn to dust esp where wires flex. Oil leaks. Radiator cores that turn to mush. I’m thankful for modern coolant that doesn’t clog up the radiator and heater core like we used to suffer with. Silicates (read: sand in solution) used to be de-rigeur in coolant. There is of course the reality that modern suspension, structure of the car etc have come a LONG way since the 126 was designed.
Shall I continue?

Last edited by JohnLane; 07-27-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
potential buyer
LOL NOPE go no further! Guess I should have expected this for a 40 year old car with all the bells and whistles. I am definitely a JDM guy but have ALWAYS loved these cars and had a 86 190e 2.3-16 when I was a kid and loved it until it broke. Parted it out for more then I bought it for and built an Integra. Looking at a 96 civic DX hatch tonight. Thanks for the advice!