S-Class (W126) 1979-1991: 300 SE, 300 SEL, 380 SE, 380 SEL, 420 SEL, 500 SEL, 560 SEL, 360 SEC, 500 SEC, 580 SEC, 300 SD TURBODIESEL, 300 SDL TURBO, 350 SD TURBO, 350 SDL TURBO

Body Damage In-Transit -- Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560 sl, 560 sel
Body Damage In-Transit -- Need Opinions

About 10 months ago I wrecked an 89 560 SEL; totaled in a t-bone. About 90k. White, beautiul car. Since then I have been looking for a low mileage 91 560 SEL in dark gray (anthracite). Finally found it in AZ. 56,000; 1 owner; never in accident. Bought sight unseen from a dealership. After a month of arranging and waiting, the car was almost here (northwest Indiana). Commercial car carrier. The truck driver called me and relayed that there had been an accident.

The car was traveling in the top position over the cab. Apparently a drilling rig or some large rig, backed into the front of my car while it was loaded over the cab. In a truck stop. Grill, right headlight, hood, radiator. No one witnessed or came forward. Fenders and frame are okay I think. I just rec'd it last night, and immediately had towed to a repair shop. It was ugly to look at, and making some terrible sounds. Leaking radiator fluid.

The tow comany came with a flat bed. After about 3 tries of driving up on the steep angle of the flat bed, the driver quasi succeded. After he took his foot off the brake, the car slid backwards and stopped at a steep angle, with the bumper to the ground.

I know the tail pipe hit. Anything else I should have the repair shop look at in the back end of the car, that could have been damaged? (Snow and ice were making it difficult)

My closest MB dealer does not repair on location. They used to contract out all MB repairs to a local repair shop, but were just recently purchased by a Cadillac dealership and now do the body repairs at the body shop in the Cadillac dealership (different location than MB).

Here is where I need more opinions. The repairs are going to be paid by the commercial carrier. I am already getting hassled about going to a low cost shop for their sake, but I am standing firm on wanting it repaired correctly.

Should I go with the Cadillac Dealer Body Shop, that just recently started doing the MB repairs? Or should I go with the local shop that used to do the MB repairs for the MB dealership? I had it towed to the Cadillac dealership, but am now thinking that the local shop might have more experience?

Suggestions and opinions are appreciated.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Banned

F248 F1
Go with the shop that use to work on the MB...i dont know if caddy can handle it- they dont know MB well so they will miss lots of stuff that should get repair !

Enrique
Old 12-24-2004, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
If the car is insured, and it's not too far to get to INDY, World Wide Motors Mercedes has a service shop in downtown INDY. There is a body shop there as well. And they use only Mercedes parts. The body shop belongs to World Wide Motors.