S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

EGR bypass successful ! (exhaust gas recirculation)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EGR bypass successful ! (exhaust gas recirculation)

Hey guys,

well today I was expiramenting with the EGR valve mounted on the headers. the EGR is basically an emissions system that takes combusted gas and pumped it back into the cylinders, which is better for emissions but sucks for performance. So i decided to do an expirament today just to see what would happen if i disconnected the vacuum line going to the EGR valve. SO i took it off and closed it off with a bolt so it would still remain air tight. To my suprise i got no warning lights of any kind .

So i took the car out for a spin. The first thing i noticed was the throttle responce. the car seems to have much better throttle responce and feels "peppier". I definitely feel more low end torque but I don't think it did anything for high end HP.

The second thing i noticed was that the exhaust note changed. The exhaust sounded louder and slightly more aggressive than before. I kinda like it :v . So i definately know it did something.

I had a feeling there would be no ill effects because I have an old 93 OBD1 benz and the electronics were not nearly as complex back then (along with their emisssions systems), so i figured the computer wasn't smart enough to know the difference and I was right. I do not recommend this mod for any OBD2 cars (1996+) but for OBD1 300SE's it should be no problem. anyways no problem.

This may seem like an insignificant thing but the reason this mod is so crucial is that it now means I can run custom Exhaust headers with zero problems. So this was a big step to overcome and I'm glad i tried it out. Now i know its possible without any ill side effects.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, For now by the way i decided to return it back to stock just b/c i like the quieter exhaust note. if i get headers i may have to do yet again another exhaust revision and this time go with 3 high quality inline resonators. Anyways just thought i would share my findings with this modifications that way you guys wanted to do headers know what is involved and etc.