S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

About to purchase a low mileage´93 500 SEL advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 500 SEL
About to purchase a low mileage´93 500 SEL advice appreciated

Hello Board:

I'm a fellow visitor from bimmer.org and m5board.com where I was referred to this site.

I am about to purchase a 1993 500 SEL with only 15,000 miles on it. I'm pretty confident about the mileage since it belongs to a widow neighbor. The car is in Mexico (I live here) and has been imported from the US (speedo is in miles). Actually, it was one of the first MB´s to be "recently" imported into Mexico for quite some time.

The aesthetics of the car are impeccable, as they should be, since the automobile has been garaged for its entire life. The color is sand on tan. It still has the original Pirelli P6000's that came with it, of course I will change them once I get the car and would appreciate comments as to the smoothest riding tires (Michelin MXV4 being on my mind).

I do, however, have some concerns about the mechanicals, especially after the car has literally sat in a garage for some time. (Myself owning a 1998 C5 Corvette with 10,000 miles on it, call it a once-a-month driver).

I have never owned a Benz (I do however, currently own 6 of your Munich archrivals) so I really don't know much about these cars.

I test drove the car and the front ride seems ok, maybe a little wallowy, but the rear suspension feels way too bouncy and seems to "give up" in terms travel a lot. I have researched this issue on this board and apparently the issue, at least initially, could be the nitrogen accumulators. In fact, I think the rear is riding a bit lower and *perhaps* I might have heard some air escaping through a line or hose in the rear. Any ideas? There seem to be no obvious leaks in any of the shocks, could they possibly still be good 15 yrs later? My 98 'vette's shocks went bad after just sitting there for 9 yrs.

Also, some questions, especially directed at those with garage queen experience (sitting there a long time) automobiles:

1. Should I replace the transmission fluid? Is it MB specific or can I just take to a transmission repair shop and have them flush it and replaced with ATF? If so, what kind? I noticed that when cold, the shifts were a bit harsh, but once it got up to operating temperature, the shifts smoothed out.

2. Obviously ALL other fluids would be changed.

3. How about the hoses, should ALL of them also be replaced? Any idea on the cost?

4. Any other rubber I might need to take a look at? PS hoses, brake lines, perhaps even the door seals?

5. I felt the engine to be a bit slow. It might have been bad fuel (too long in the fuel tank) or should I also perform a major service on the engine?

6. What about the A/C system? Any necessary repairs or updates?

7. Anything critical I should check before buying the car, based on your experience?

Keep in mind we unfortunately have no independent shops for MB so I would have to take it to the dealer for any repairs. If I may use BMW as a benchmark, is MB more expensive to upkeep or about the same?

For anyone's interest, buying price has been set at about 21K USD.

Thanks so much!

Regards from Mexico.

VL
Old 05-15-2007, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
99' SL500, 16' i3, 14' Passat TDI SEL
if you do get it. id do the following:

1. get it checked out by a mechanic
2. replace all fluids, including fuel if it sat for a long time.
3. replace the belt (if its been in the car for 14 years, chances are, the belt is cracked).
4.check all rubber links..such as suspension parts, and the tranny to driveshaft connector thingy (forgot what its called)
5.give it al all around major tune up. and if the engine is still being weird..it wouldnt hurt to floor it for a while, there might be carbon build up in the cylinder walls that need to be cleaned out.

im sure there is more im missing, but thats the big ones!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
99' SL500, 16' i3, 14' Passat TDI SEL
as far as the tranny shifting hard when cold..thats normal..my S320 does that in the morning and so does my S600.

i have no idea how much it will cost to replace the rubber/hoses/seals, but if i were you, id replace ALL of them...they are old, and more than likely dried out.. better spend the money now, than more later (which WILL happen if you dont do it now)
Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
Welcome, a fun but expensive toy

The early 140S did have some common issues, the close assist pump, the bose radio amp, I would check to see if any service records exist, the price is a little high but you are paying for low mileage, your insurance is probably a little more expensive the way they rate the car.
1) the a/c evaporator failes and it is a $3k job, let MB do it they have the eperience.
2) accumulator failure, yes but with 15k they died of old age
3) I would probably do caps rotors and plugs some where down the line
4) definately get all the fluids changed, trans/filter , brake, radiator, genuine oil filter and oil, the air filters should be looked at they are probably crumbling I have switched to 0-50 mobil synth on my 92.
5)check the hoses, I still have origional on mine, but belt is probably dry
6) The tires and spare are probably dry rotted I have had good luck with Michelin MXV, but better luck with Bridgestone LSH which are a little stiffer
The hissing you hear in the trunk is the close pump purging the system, make sure all doors trunk, draw in, when gently closed.
7) MB shocks are pretty good 90K and still going, if the rear struts are not leaking they are good. If ride is spongey its a sign of accumulator failure, to replace both and flush usually around $400, use genuine MB oil
http://v12uberalles.com/
http://catalog.mercedesshop.com/
http://bayhas.com:8080/w140manu/
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 PM

1993 500 SEL
Thanks so much

Thank you guys, I will let you know if I bought the car or not.

Your advice is much appreciated and I concur with most of your comments.

Looking forward to sharing info with you,

VL
Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 AM

S280, 1998
Originally Posted by Vasir
as far as the tranny shifting hard when cold..thats normal..my S320 does that in the morning and so does my S600.

i have no idea how much it will cost to replace the rubber/hoses/seals, but if i were you, id replace ALL of them...they are old, and more than likely dried out.. better spend the money now, than more later (which WILL happen if you dont do it now)
With regard to 'relectant' changes when cold, I am told that the engine manangent system restricts performance until the catalytic convertor is up to temperature and running efficiently.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
Isn't this model prone to engine harness deterioration?
Old 06-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Almost a Member!

E320 W211
the BEST benz ever made IMO is the W140. Buy it in a heartbeat
Old 06-19-2007, 12:19 PM

S280, 1998
I've only had my W140 for a month - but I'm still smiling