S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Car Running Badly!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CL600
Car Running Badly!!

I own a 1995 S600 with approximately 160,000 miles. Recently, I replaced both throttle actuators with 2 used actuators. After the replacement my car ran well. It no longer had an erratic idle or engine surges. A few weeks later I replaced the two air filters.

After doing this I noticed that my vehicle began to run badly. The throttle was not responsive at all. It ran as though the engine was in the limp home mode however the ASR light was not illuminated. It did this for quite sometime. I made a strange discovery prior to getting my oil changed. My oil filter is located beneath the air filter box so in order to keep from paying extra money for my oil change I removed the air filter box before going to get my oil changed. After removing the box I noticed that my car ran great! Once I replaced the box the car ran badly again. I then disconnected the wire to the MAF sensor and my car ran great again. This was the MAF sensor on the driver's side of the engine compartment. I left the MAF disconnected and it ran fine for months until about a week ago when the symptoms returned.

It is sluggish as if it is in the limp home mode. There is a strong smell of gasoline as if it is running rich. The transmission shifts very hard from first to second gear. The gas mileage gauge reads that I am getting about 10 miles to the gallon and it is accurate because I am getting horrible mileage. The car has no acceleration whatsoever.

I tried to clean the MAF with alcohol but this did not work. I think the MAF sensor on the driver side needs replacement. Do any of you have any thoughts or suggestions?