S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

PLEASE HELP!!! Starting and Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500SEL
PLEASE HELP!!! Starting and Electrical Problems

Hey Guys

I have a 1992 500SEL which was imported from Japan to Canada, Calgary, Alberta. The car has 76,000KM on it (original). The car is good as new. But I have just started having some problems. Due to the high gas prices and poor winter weather, unfortunately my 500SEL has become a weekend/summer car and is parked for the most part. So the weather is finally clearing up a bit so i thought i would give the good old 500SEL a start and take it for a spin to the gas station to fill er' up. Anyways so I started the car (had a hard time getting it started but then again i thought its been a while so it was normal) and waited for it to warm up the car was idling perfect no problems at all. So while it warmed up I went into the house for a bit and when i came back aprox. 15 to 20 mins later i found the car turned off so i just in and tried to start the car again and it was turning over but not starting and would making loud poping sounds from the exhust. After tryin for about 20 to 30 mins of trying to start it again I gave up and tried to find information online and was outta luck. When back to the car an hour and 30 minz later aprox. and tried to start it and it started fine. Anyways I didnt think about it much till I parked it again for another 3 or 4 weeks and the same problem happend again started fine this time and i left it running for a while and came back 15 to 20 mins later and again the car was turned off and would not start back up in the exact same pattern. Could it be the MAF?????? That explains one problem the other problem I noticed was that.

My right front window and left rear window stoped rolling down along with the power seat adjustments all around stoped working as well. Fueses perhaps???

PLEASE HELP MY FELLOW PROUD BENZ OWNERS

Gary
Old 03-11-2009, 11:25 PM

e320,e55.s600
Gary,
Alot of people think its good to warm a car at idle, It's not good. when a car is started and the idle is even, its best to drive it gently until it gets up to temp. When it's not moving the motor can get hot in areas because there is no air flow. Also the gear oils just sit, when driven they get splashed around.
As for the motor stopping the reffrence sensor would be my first pick. They tend to fail when hot, when cool they work again. A flakey reffrence sensor would also account for the back fires and rough running.
In newer cars the crank position sensor does the same thing. The car just dies and restars after cooling. If you have any other info pass it on. Your distributors may have condensation in them also.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 AM

500SEL
Talking

Thanks beermaker for the information I will look into that for sure.