S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

S420 Lower Tail Light strip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2010 | 06:06 PM

S420
S420 Lower Tail Light strip

Can anyone provide instruction for removing the lower tail light strip on a '94 S420? I'm not referring to the actual tail lights but the lower strip that runs the full width of the rear end.

Thank you,

AlB
Old 04-14-2010 | 01:06 AM

1993 400 SEL
Hey, I just posted this in the benzworld forum. I saw your question and pasted it here too. I think we have the same body car. I hope it helps.

The area around the reflector and inside the reflector had some moldy/mildew build up from who knows what and it was bothering me ever since I saw it.

I read a bit on here and figured how to remove it so I thought I would share with some pictures how I did it and how to clean the reflector in a way that won't ruin the finish. I ruined 3/4 of the finish on one of the reflectors.

Step 1. Remove the clips(See Pic) from the black plastic molding that sits on the trunk opening. There are about 10, I didn't count. Use a very thin and narrow flat head screw driver to pry up the clips. Also remove the clip housings. Some will come out all together.

WARNING: There was a clip underneath a factory sticker on the molding. Peel the sticker(See Pic) to remove the clip. If all clips are removed properly there should be no tugging whatsoever. It should just pull off.

Step 2. Unscrew the reflector. You will see the screws that run in intervals behind the reflector area. There are quite a few of these. I think I used a 5/16 socket. Don't quote me though. Screws that are in the black plastic should not be touched. They are for the light housing. only the screws directly behind the reflector should be removed.

WARNING: There are two screws at the curved area of the reflector near the hinges for the light covers. They need to be unscrewed. One screw is totally hidden. The other is below the bottom hinge of the light cover. It is clearly visible. The light cover can be unhinged very easily to access the screw better. See picture of hinges. Open the light door a little and pull it. It should come off. NO HARD TUGGING THROUGHOUT THE PROCESS.

Step 3. Remove the reflector and its plastic housing. If all screws have been removed than it is just some light tugging and it should all come right out. No messing with the rear lights whatsoever. The plastic cover may come off first or the plastic cover and the reflector might come together. Main point is don't tug hard. If you feel that one part is "stuck" its because there is a screw that still needs to be undone.

Step 4. Clean it. So here is where my mistake can be to your benefit. When you are cleaning the reflector you should know that it is plastic with a chrome type paint on it. DO NOT USE A TOOTHBRUSH. Clean in between the lines with q-tips and run hot water over it until you are satisfied. A toothbrush will remove the chrome like finish and reveal a dull plastic and expose your sharp sense of regret.

The hard plastic housing can be scrubbed with a toothbrush all day.

I didn't put it back together yet. Look at the pics if anyone knows where this mold came from or how to prevent it, like the use of some type of silicon or sealant, let me know. Other than that. I could just periodically open it and clean it if it happens again. I just don't want water and mold ruining my paint or rusting behind there. Who knows how long it takes to accumulate like this. It was likely over the 17 years of its life. I probably just need to keep and eye on it and clean it if I see problems again.

I hope this is not a repost. I couldn't find it in a search. Last words. This is super simple and very straight forward as soon as you get the black molding off.
Attached Thumbnails S420 Lower Tail Light strip-step-1.jpg   S420 Lower Tail Light strip-step-2.jpg   S420 Lower Tail Light strip-step-3.jpg   S420 Lower Tail Light strip-step-4.jpg   S420 Lower Tail Light strip-tools-parts.jpg  

S420 Lower Tail Light strip-reflector-dirt.jpg  
Old 04-14-2010 | 01:07 AM

1993 400 SEL
Originally Posted by albs420
Can anyone provide instruction for removing the lower tail light strip on a '94 S420? I'm not referring to the actual tail lights but the lower strip that runs the full width of the rear end.

Thank you,

AlB
I should also point out that on my car it is two strips on either side of the trunk button/ keyhole.

1993 400SEL
Old 04-14-2010 | 10:06 AM

S420
Lower taillight reflector

Thank you very much - talk about great timing! I appreciate your giving me this information and pics. It'll make the job a lot easier.

AlB
Old 04-14-2010 | 12:29 PM

1993 400 SEL
Originally Posted by albs420
Thank you very much - talk about great timing! I appreciate your giving me this information and pics. It'll make the job a lot easier.

AlB
I hope so. The smart person is he who learns from others mistakes. Mine were that I didn't have all the clips out and my dad yanked the molding and now I don't know where two clip housings are. Also, I used a toothbrush on the chrome like finish removing it and wrecking the reflector. Don't use anything other than water and qtips. I hope you have fun.
Old 08-02-2010 | 07:16 AM

W140
Thanks for removal info.

When putting it back together, how do you keep the clear plastic in place?? The reflector is with screws, but the clear plastic strip was just held in place with 18 years of dirt build up..

A valet who did not know where to lift the trunk lid already got the strip on his hands...
Old 08-02-2010 | 12:15 PM

1993 400 SEL
Originally Posted by trauha
Thanks for removal info.

When putting it back together, how do you keep the clear plastic in place?? The reflector is with screws, but the clear plastic strip was just held in place with 18 years of dirt build up..

A valet who did not know where to lift the trunk lid already got the strip on his hands...
good question. I thought I re-assembled mine properly and one plastic strip fell off since I cleaned it. I found two used strips at a wrecker. I will have to take a look at them again but there might be grooves that the reflector needs to slide into.

On another note. The car looks 10 times better without the PINK plastic reflector. If someone could find a way to cover the reverse light openings with something that would protect them from water it would be better to leave the plastic off. Water gets behind them anyways when they are on. It's pretty much the seal around the reflector that keeps water out not the plastic.
Old 08-02-2010 | 03:57 PM

W140
Originally Posted by ridgearms
good question. I thought I re-assembled mine properly and one plastic strip fell off since I cleaned it. I found two used strips at a wrecker. I will have to take a look at them again but there might be grooves that the reflector needs to slide into.

On another note. The car looks 10 times better without the PINK plastic reflector. If someone could find a way to cover the reverse light openings with something that would protect them from water it would be better to leave the plastic off. Water gets behind them anyways when they are on. It's pretty much the seal around the reflector that keeps water out not the plastic.
It really is weird that it is pink!!! it's great on red cars, but that subtle pink is the strangest choice. Would LOVE to know the history/reasoning behind that!!