S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Test Drove a 94 S500 Coupe....a few questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove a 94 S500 Coupe....a few questions.

Hello. This is my first post. I have been looking at getting a S500 coupe for the last couple of months. My local MB dealer had one that I drove today. It was a 94, with 111,xxx miles. It looked beautiful. Not a dent, ding, scratch. Black on black. Cosmetically it was perfect. It drove very smooth, very quiet, AC blew cold, it wasa lowered about an inch.....

Couple things that I noticed that concerned me. When I open the door, the windows (both F and R) goes down a bit and then goes back up when the door is shut. However, on the driver's side, the rear windows do not adjust down when you open the door. Another thing was the brake pedal travel....it was a lot more than I am used to in any other cars I have driven. The sales guy said that the breaks have just been checked and the deep pedal travel is normal. Lastly, the steering....there is an inch or so "give" before the wheels start turning.

What are your thoughts on the above items? Is this a good buy? The dealer is asking $18K for the car.

I like the car a lot. It is flawless cosmetically and seemed to be mechnically as well. Engine bay was spotless, all the gadgets worked and so forth. However, when I ran a carfax, there were 6 different owners, it was involved in a minor accident in 95, and it's a 10 yr old car.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:13 PM

1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
I think 18 for the car is a bit more than what i would pay.

There is a 96 s600 coupe with 80k for 20$k with a dealer an hour away from where i live.. (kenosha wi). Maybe they are asking 18, and you can offer them 15.

But as you know, a mercedes could be totally different from another of the same year, so it matters how clean it is or how it was taken care of.

I am a auto broker myself, so i tend to look at cars at their wholesale value. As a private individual yourself i think if you can buy the car at kelly blue book private party good value or below, it would be a great deal. Assuming the car checks out clean at a mechanic.

good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
the windows lowering a little when shutting the doors is normal on MB coupes. It's apparently a safety feature where since there's no frame around the glass, the pressure from the cabin when shutting may crack/shatter it? It lets out the pressure then closes itself...kinda neat IMO.

The brakes on most MB's have a deeper "dead-zone" travel than most other cars out there...this is pretty much normal.

as for the steering...it is 10 years old, maybe a little play in the steering...something maybe the dealer can check out.

Those w140's (especially earlier ones) will last for a long time...you should clear 200k no problem. As for price, it may be a little high...i'd start with 15k and deal from there...worth a shot. But if it's in good condition and such, go for it.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2004, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
92 500sel/01 320e wag
The windows should go down on both sides, when opening and closing doors. 18 may be a little high. is there any kind of warranty? The 140s had a cronic AC evaporator issue, you have to remove the entire dash. The closing-assist for the trunk and doors fails, the "bose amp", and by now it should have had motor mounts, and lower control arm bushings. The "six" previous owners is a puzzle, most people love the cars and keep them forever. The engine compartment should not be immaculate, only reasonably clean, it gets rid of a lot of evidence. Why and how was it lowered, is the big question
Old 04-16-2004, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the advice. I am going to do a closer inspection on Monday.
I spoke to the sales guy this morning and I can purcahse the car for $16,500 OTD. Factor in tax, title, etc...and this equates to a purchase price of about $15K. I think this is a good deal.

We shall see on Monday!