S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

99 CL500 Issues......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99 CL500 - Wacky Windows!!

I just picked up a used 99' CL500
and I have a few issues that I need some input on:

1) Window Issues
- With my remote I cannot open any windows if they are closed.
However, if the passenger side window is half open, I can lower it more or raise it with the remote... but if it is closed, I cannot open it.

- With my remote, I can close all windows when using remote on passenger side, BUT not on the drivers side.

- So basically, the remote does not control the windows at all when on drivers side.

- When using the drivers side lock to raise and lower the windows...it acts intermittently. I tried key... and nothing happened. I then manually lower windows from inside the car.
I then try to raise them using door key... all works fine then lower and raise and all works fine. But sometimes.......it will not lower when closed. Maybe there is an internal timer...that prevents me from opening windows before a certain time... I was playing alot during a short period.

I also noticed that when lowering window with door key that ONLY the Drivers window opens.. passengers side does not.

Any ideas? I resynced the windows holding down window buttons and resynced the remotes as well as changing mode of
remorte to Global locking.
THere was some body work done on driver side door.... maybe they did not plug a harness in correctly?

2) When locking car, the headlight flash a few times, which is normal... BUT for the Front FOG lights also come on also and stay on for 5 to 10 seconds... then go off. Is that normal ???? I tried this a few other times.....and it did not happen. THat day it was raining and I has my headlights ( not fog lights ) and Int. wipers on...could that be it?

3) When Xenon's are ON they make a loud whining... is that normal?

THANKS GUYS !!!

Last edited by cpr_metro; 06-22-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes E350 Sport
Re: 99 CL500 - Wacky Windows!!

Originally posted by cpr_metro
I just picked up a used 99' CL500
and I have a few issues that I need some input on:

1) Window Issues
- With my remote I cannot open any windows if they are closed.
However, if the passenger side window is half open, I can lower it more or raise it with the remote... but if it is closed, I cannot open it.

- With my remote, I can close all windows when using remote on passenger side, BUT not on the drivers side.

- So basically, the remote does not control the windows at all when on drivers side.

- When using the drivers side lock to raise and lower the windows...it acts intermittently. I tried key... and nothing happened. I then manually lower windows from inside the car.
I then try to raise them using door key... all works fine then lower and raise and all works fine. But sometimes.......it will not lower when closed. Maybe there is an internal timer...that prevents me from opening windows before a certain time... I was playing alot during a short period.

I also noticed that when lowering window with door key that ONLY the Drivers window opens.. passengers side does not.

Any ideas? I resynced the windows holding down window buttons and resynced the remotes as well as changing mode of
remorte to Global locking.
THere was some body work done on driver side door.... maybe they did not plug a harness in correctly?

2) When locking car, the headlight flash a few times, which is normal... BUT for the Front FOG lights also come on also and stay on for 5 to 10 seconds... then go off. Is that normal ???? I tried this a few other times.....and it did not happen. THat day it was raining and I has my headlights ( not fog lights ) and Int. wipers on...could that be it?

3) When Xenon's are ON they make a loud whining... is that normal?

THANKS GUYS !!!

i can answer one of your q's. the fog lights can stay on for pathway lighting, probably programable at dealer to turn off
Old 06-26-2004, 12:19 PM

1998 cl 600
First congrats on your new purchase. Sounds like your car has as much "personality" as mine!

I've never noticed my headlights making any kind of sound - very strange - you sure it's coming from the lights?

I have no trouble raising my windows with the remote, but have never got them to lower using it.

Does your driver's side unlock with the remote when you aim it at it - maybe the sensor in that door is messed up.

Good luck and let us know if / how you solve your probs.

Z
Old 06-26-2004, 12:36 PM
Almost a Member!

Yep....unlocking / locking doors with remote is fine on all sides.... I would really be freaking out if it that did not work. For now.. I am using my key in door to raise windows.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:48 AM

1999 CL500; 1992 500E:1991 560SEC
I dont have any whinning from my headlights when on.........99 cl500 too.....wats ur vin#
Old 10-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'99 CL500, 2000 C230 Kompressor, '04 ML350
99 CL500 problems

I too have the same car, '99 CL500. My windows now refuse to "drop" down and any one of the doors is open. If you know the car, you know this is a major problem, though it may sound petty. The power windows work other wise. Door soft close (or whatever you call it) works, too. Is there a compressor issue possibly, some sort of module, or do I need to "teach" the car to do that, like reset something? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
s320
electronic eyes in doors

I found these will get a film on them.I used very fine rubbing compound to shine the lenses so they will see the remote key.