S-Class (W140) 1991-1999: 300 SD, S 350TD, 300 SE 2.8, S280, 300 SE 3.2, 300 SEL 3.2, S320, S320L, 400 SE, S420, 400 SEL, S420L, 500 SE, S500, 500 SEL, S500L, 600 SE, S600, 600 SEL, S600L, 500 SEC, 600 SEC

Thinking of an S320, difference between an S, SEL, and SEC?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 03:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of an S320, difference between an S, SEL, and SEC?

Hey guys.

I'm in the early stages of thinking of purchasing a S320 (still not certain yet), and I'm just trying to find some info on the car.

I'm looking to trade in a 2001 BMW X5 3.0i, the car has just been having too many problems, and we really don't want to deal with it when the warranty expires in 500 miles. (Don't get me wrong, I love BMW. We have a 5 series, and our whole familiy absolutely loves that car, However the X5 has just been plagued with problems). I believe we're looking at a ~25k trade in value, and I would like to keep the replacement car under $20k.

The main purpose of this car would be shutting people around, and taking the family on long trips (~400mile drives). We're not too concerned with power, as this car would primary be driven by my mother, who rarely speeds. (besides, I sincerely do not believe that is the purpose of a benz; there are porsches and bmws that will happily rip your face off, a benz is more about relaxed cruising than high speed runs IMO). How well would the S320 fill this role?

I've had some time in my uncle's 300SEL before, and after looking at a few S320s, the cars seem identical, I was wondering if anyone could point out the differences for me.

As for the car itself, I'm looking at the 97-99 model years, and under 100,000 miles. I would also like to have some form of a warranty on the car; does Mercedes offer a CPO (certified pre-owned) program? Are there any issues with those model years?

And finally, how does the car drive? I'm already expecting it to be a boat. Does the car just kind of float over the road? I drive a 99 E39 BMW 540i on a daily basis, how would the S320 compare to this car?

Thanks for any info, and feel free to recommend other cars that may be an interest.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:03 AM

1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
ok..here you go

I will answer your questions, considering that we have owned several s-classes.. and currently own a 97 s500 and a 97 540i...

Regarding your questions about the difference between 300sel and s320...they are the virtually the same.. in the 92-93...they were called 300sel with 3.2,v-6 (the sel .."L" stood for the longer wheel base). In 94 to 99..they renamed the s classes w140... into s320 s420 s500 and s600 to clearly reflect the litre size i.e 3.2....4.2 ...5.0...6.0....

Read this ..it will answer all your questions regarding the above issues

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/u...ex.cfm/id/2327

Now regarding the 540i and s class, they are different cars.......

Like you guys love the 540i, i love it as well....how nimple, fast,luxury,sophisticated, and of course its sporty handling ..and like you mentioned ..its one of the best perfect all around and daily driver you can own. Some people say (specially those who own the 5 series), if god had to create the perfect all around car ( sport, luxury, size and handling) he would create the 5 series (specially the m5). You can read more on that at ..www.carreview.com

My own personal car ( my baby) that i keep is an s class (97 s500). The reason being is that i value more how intimidaiting,luxurious,solidness, big and roomy feel and the powerful cruising feel rather then how sporty.. Some people get their high from driving a fast small sports car. I get my high from driving a big luxury sedans like the s class that screams success, and gets respected whereever you go, with this powerful classic design... Its not as sporty as the 540, but its still got some sport to it for a car of its size and weight, nevertheless its first purpose is a big powerful luxury cruising mobile.

good luck

ghost
Old 08-26-2004, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 Bluetec, 1996 S320 & 2006 E320 CDI Sold to my son & 2017 GMC 2500 Diesel Pick up
S320

Not a lot to add other than I have an '96 S320 & love it. It fits the bill of what you say your looking for! Not as much of a boat feel as you may thing ( compaired to a Caddy or Lincon). I rented a Siebring this weekend while on a trip and the first thing we noticed was how noisy it was inside. Glad to get back to the quiet, smooth ride of the S320. Good luck with the search, the S class would be a great choice.

Rod
Old 08-26-2004, 03:09 PM
Almost a Member!

thanks for the replies, guys, and thanks a lot for that link to clear up the difference between model years.

when they dropped the SEL designation, they stated that the S500 and S600 got the long wheelbase platform, but it stated that the S320 came in both regular and long wheelbase form. is there a way to tell the difference? I would definately like the longer wheelbase, but all of the cars I've looked at have been over the internet with an average distance of 70 miles from me. (hard car to find) Is there a way i could tell which model it is without having to contact the seller or by the picture?

As with the majority of German cars, I do expect some electrical "weirdness," but are there any serious problems i should know about? (eg. the radiator generally fails on the 540i's around 70k miles) On average, how would the annual maintaince bill for this car run? And finally, what kind of fuel economy can I expect from something of this size?

The more I research about this car, the more convinced i am that it is a much better choice for our family than the X5...
Old 08-26-2004, 08:09 PM

Old 08-26-2004, 08:19 PM

oops

First post went blank...

anyhow.....

Generally you can ask the seller, and in most cases they know whether its a short or long wheel base.

If you dont want to contact the seller...the way you can find out is from the vin number..... i am not 100% certain, but i think in the six and seven digit of the vin number tell you whether its a long or short wheel base.

Long wheel base s320....will have "33"as the sixth and seventh digit...... short wheel base the six and seven digits are "32".

Regarding maintenance....if you buy newer w140 (97-99) with lower mileage ... you shouldnt have any problems...but things happen...i have known of people who have driven their s classes for 30,000 miles without doing anything major..beside oil changes tire rotation and minor stuff like that....

But when ur ready to buy, take it to a mercedes dealer to check it, its worth the fee, even though mercedes dealers tend to make you feel that small problems will cost you alot....as long as there is no problems in tranny, motor, and airconditioning..u should be alright......even better...if you get a warranty you will have a piece of mind..specially those that are star marked (dealer obtained)...

Ironic comment about the 540i u mentioned....the person i bought it from just replaced the radiator at around 70k...

good luck
Old 08-28-2004, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 93 300SE, My car came with the 3.69 differential (which was highest benz ever used). Car pulls like a mad man for a Inline 6. with JUST intake I beat a modded prelude and I only lost by 1 car length to a brand new S500. with intake and exhaust and alittle bit of weight reduction you can make them just as fast as V8 if not faster. SUPER reliable car too, motor is pretty much bullet proof where as V8 and V12 require substantial maintenance. Gas mileage is better than v8 but not by much. probably something like 16/19 MPG. hope that helps.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by makken85
Hey guys.

I'm in the early stages of thinking of purchasing a S320 (still not certain yet), and I'm just trying to find some info on the car.

I'm looking to trade in a 2001 BMW X5 3.0i, the car has just been having too many problems, and we really don't want to deal with it when the warranty expires in 500 miles. (Don't get me wrong, I love BMW. We have a 5 series, and our whole familiy absolutely loves that car, However the X5 has just been plagued with problems). I believe we're looking at a ~25k trade in value, and I would like to keep the replacement car under $20k.

The main purpose of this car would be shutting people around, and taking the family on long trips (~400mile drives). We're not too concerned with power, as this car would primary be driven by my mother, who rarely speeds. (besides, I sincerely do not believe that is the purpose of a benz; there are porsches and bmws that will happily rip your face off, a benz is more about relaxed cruising than high speed runs IMO). How well would the S320 fill this role?

I've had some time in my uncle's 300SEL before, and after looking at a few S320s, the cars seem identical, I was wondering if anyone could point out the differences for me.

As for the car itself, I'm looking at the 97-99 model years, and under 100,000 miles. I would also like to have some form of a warranty on the car; does Mercedes offer a CPO (certified pre-owned) program? Are there any issues with those model years?

And finally, how does the car drive? I'm already expecting it to be a boat. Does the car just kind of float over the road? I drive a 99 E39 BMW 540i on a daily basis, how would the S320 compare to this car?

Thanks for any info, and feel free to recommend other cars that may be an interest.

there are a lot of benzs that will happly rip your face off
Old 08-30-2004, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HITMAN
there are a lot of benzs that will happly rip your face off
look whose talking